Is Zeolite the Solution for 1nm Porosity in Water Purification?

In summary, the speaker is new and working on a water purification project. They are in need of a solid substance, either natural or artificially made, that is non-toxic and has a porosity of 1 nano-meter. They are specifically interested in using it for the final phase of purification, the reversed osmosys process. They mention specialized diaphragms but are looking for a more accessible option, such as a mixture made of common materials. The suggestion of zeolites is mentioned but they are considered too expensive.
Alexandru
Hello all of you! I am new in here. I am working on a project in water purification. I need to know if there is any solid in natural state or artificially made, non toxic, with porosity near 1 nano-meters. I need to use it for final phase of purification, the reversed osmosys process. I know there are specialized diaphragms for this process but i am interested in solids. 1nm.
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you looked into zeolites ?

Gokul43201 said:
Have you looked into zeolites ?
I think those materials are a bit prohibitive to the common person. I am looking for something , a mixture, that can be made of common materials, resulting a solid block.

Related to Is Zeolite the Solution for 1nm Porosity in Water Purification?

1. What is material porosity?

Material porosity refers to the presence of pores or voids within a material, which can affect its physical properties such as density, strength, and permeability.

2. How is material porosity measured?

Material porosity can be measured through various methods such as mercury intrusion porosimetry, gas adsorption, and image analysis. These techniques involve determining the volume or surface area of pores within a material.

3. What causes material porosity?

Material porosity can be caused by various factors such as the manufacturing process, chemical reactions, or physical forces acting on the material. It can also occur naturally in some materials due to their composition or environmental conditions.

4. What are the effects of material porosity?

Material porosity can have both positive and negative effects on a material. It can increase surface area and allow for better absorption or filtration, but it can also weaken the material and reduce its durability.

5. How can material porosity be controlled?

Material porosity can be controlled through various methods such as adjusting the manufacturing process, using different materials or additives, and applying coatings or treatments to seal the pores. It is important to consider the desired properties and purpose of the material when determining the best way to control porosity.