Is Your Heavy Rock with a Brown Streak a Meteorite?

• Thread starter millzee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meteorite
In summary, this rock could be a meteorite. The photos are difficult to judge, but it looks like a lump of iron slag. Dave is trying to determine if it would hold a magnet. Keith found the rock in southwest Missouri. There are three known falls in that area, so it's a bit vague. The rock does not have scalloped areas, which is a distinguishing feature of meteorites. Dave is asking Keith to section it, polish and acid etch it. If the rock shows the Widmanstatten pattern after being cut, polished and etched, it would be a meteorite. If not, it's not.
millzee
TL;DR Summary
I recently found this rock...it is very heavy, leaves a distinct brown mark on unfinished white tile, and was quite difficult to cut a piece off from a corner. Could it be a meteorite? Please reach me at [personal e-mail deleted by a Mentor]
I recently found this rock...it is very heavy, leaves a distinct brown mark on unfinished white tile, and was quite difficult to cut a piece off from a corner. Could it be a meteorite? Please reach me at [personal e-mail deleted by a Mentor]

Attachments

• 20210306_222923.jpg
    20210306_222923.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 204
  • 20210306_222940.jpg
    20210306_222940.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 20210306_222959.jpg
    20210306_222959.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 20210308_115557.jpg
    20210308_115557.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 201
Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. We deleted your e-mail from your post since it attracts spam bots and other bad things. :smile:

Can you say where you are geographically in the world? That will help @davenn with his detective work.

Likes Evo
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. We deleted your e-mail from your post since it attracts spam bots and other bad things. :smile:

Can you say where you are geographically in the world? That will help @davenn with his detective work.

There is a still an email addy there ...end of first line of summary :wink:

Likes berkeman
millzee said:
I recently found this rock...it is very heavy, leaves a distinct brown mark on unfinished white tile, and was quite difficult to cut a piece off from a corner. Could it be a meteorite?

Hi there Keith,
welcome to PF

collecting meteorites is a pretty serious hobby of mine

Initial thoughts is that it looks like a lump if iron slag from a furnace.
the photos are a bit dark, so hard to make a good visual analysis
Please redo the 3rd and 4th photos again, outside in natural light and with the 4th photo get in a bit closer :smile:

But as @berkeman says, please tell us where you found it and I can have a look and see if there were any known
iron met's in that area

cheers
Dave

Likes russ_watters, berkeman and Vanadium 50
millzee said:
it is very heavy, leaves a distinct brown mark on unfinished white tile, and was quite difficult to cut a piece off from a corner.

Sounds more like a piece of slag. Does it have vesicles? (Little holes, like it underwent extreme heat)

Likes davenn
davenn said:
Hi there Keith,
welcome to PF

Please redo the 3rd and 4th photos again, outside in natural light and with the 4th photo get in a bit closer :smile:

But as @berkeman says, please tell us where you found it and I can have a look and see if there were any known
iron met's in that area

cheers
Dave

would iron slag hold a magnet?

davenn said:
Hi there Keith,
welcome to PF

iron met's in that area

cheers
Dave

I found it in southwest missouri...would iron slag hold a magnet?

“southwest missouri” is a bit vague. Use google Earth to locate the site. Give us the latitude and longitude.

What was the situation, did you find it in a stream bed, lying on the surface of a ploughed field, or in the roots of a fallen tree?

What other similar rocks were around there? Was there any bedrock visible?

. Does it have vesicles?

millzee said:
I found it in southwest missouri...would iron slag hold a magnet?

usually but not always, does your sample stick to a magnet ?

Again, please redo the photos I asked for and answer @Vanadium 50 's question on vesicles

The thing that really puts me off thinking that you have an iron meteorite is that it totally lacks
scalloped areas, rather your one has lumps...

1615322328661.png

here's a couple of my iron meteorites
They show features that can only happen with a hot flight through the atmosphere...

#072 NWA859 (Taza) Iron c.jpg

SA159-4A.jpg

Dave

• Informative
Likes hutchphd, anorlunda, berkeman and 1 other person
millzee said:
I found it in southwest missouri

As some one else said ... just a bit vague, there are 3 known iron meteorite fall locations in the greater SW Missouri
So again, be a bit more accurate on the location :smile:

• Informative
Likes BillTre
davenn said:
it totally lacks scalloped areas, rather your one has lumps

I'm having a hard time telling lumps from dents. Much less regna...regma...regmalith...regmagl...oh, to heck with it!

• Haha
Likes davenn
Could you section it, polish and acid etch it? Widmanstatten pattern? Or EDX it and report the Ni content?

Likes davenn
chemisttree said:
Could you section it, polish and acid etch it? Widmanstatten pattern?

This of course is the best test for any possible iron meteorite
Something like 98-99% will show a Widmanstatten pattern after a surface is cut, polished and etched

#028 Seymchan, Russia b.jpg

The other 1% are Ataxite irons which have a very smooth interior after being polished and will
show occasional sulphide inclusions

#144 Dronino Ataxite Russia b.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes chemisttree and BillTre

Related to Is Your Heavy Rock with a Brown Streak a Meteorite?

1. What is a meteorite?

A meteorite is a solid piece of debris from an object, such as a comet, asteroid, or meteoroid, that originates in outer space and survives its impact with the Earth's surface.

2. How can I identify a possible meteorite?

There are several characteristics that can help identify a possible meteorite, including a dark and smooth exterior, a magnetic attraction, and a high density. It is best to consult with a professional or a meteorite expert for a proper identification.

3. Where can I find meteorites?

Meteorites can be found in different locations, such as deserts, mountains, and even in urban areas. However, the chances of finding a meteorite are higher in areas with less vegetation and human activity.

4. What should I do if I think I have found a meteorite?

If you believe you have found a meteorite, it is important to handle it with care and avoid damaging its surface. It is best to contact a professional or a meteorite expert for further guidance on how to properly handle and identify the object.

5. Are all rocks from outer space considered meteorites?

No, not all rocks from outer space are considered meteorites. In order to be classified as a meteorite, the object must have originated in outer space, survived its impact with the Earth's surface, and possess certain characteristics that distinguish it from other rocks.