Is Yang-Mills scale invariant?

In summary, Yang-Mills theory is not scale invariant due to the running of the coupling constant with energy. However, at tree level and in 4 dimensions, the action does have conformal symmetry. Quantum effects break this symmetry, leading to a conformal anomaly. However, this anomaly only affects loop calculations, and tree scattering amplitudes such as MHV amplitudes remain conformally invariant.
nonequilibrium
I remember hearing this, but not sure if it's true.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, Yang-Mills theory is not scale invariant. Scale invariance is broken by the running of the coupling constant with energy.

Hm, is there a version of this statement that's true? I remember reading this for 4 dimensions, but I can't see how that would be relevant. Hm, is it perhaps true at tree level? Sorry for the vague questions.

EDIT: for example "MHV amplitudes", which are basically tree amplitudes for gluons, can be explicitly calculated and shown to be conformally invariant... Maybe this is ruined for loop calculations, compatible with your claim? I'm guessing here...

Last edited:
you might have seen conformal invariance of pure yang-mills theory,which happens when d=4.Scale transformation holds for pure yang mills.

Ah excellent, so in Minkowski spacetmie pure Yang-Mills is scale invariant! Do you have a reference?

andrien said:
you might have seen conformal invariance of pure yang-mills theory,which happens when d=4.Scale transformation holds for pure yang mills.

What? As I said above pure Yang-Mills theory is not scale invariant/conformally invariant because of the running of the coupling.

I think nonequilibrium must be thinking of N=4 supersymmetric Yang-Mills theory.

Hm, I know about N = 4 SYM and I wasn't thinking of that. The_Duck, what you say makes sense, but how am I to reconcile with the fact that MHV amplitudes are conformally invariant?

A pure yang mills theory is classical in nature and at the tree level the vanishing of trace of energy momentum tensor guarantees that conformal invariance is maintained if d=4.This is lost very easily when we go to a quantum case.Quantum Yang mills theory involves an intrinsic mass scale(AS in QCD).This scale determines the masses of physical hadronic states.The regularized path integral is not invariant under scale transformation even though the action is and develops a conformal anomaly.Conformal symmetry is broken explicitly by quantum effects.
@nonequilibrium-You should take a look at 'Quantum fields and strings-a course for mathematicians Vol.1',The section on classical field theory.Probably 4th chapter of this section.

Excellent thanks :)

Let me just do a quick summary for future people visiting this thread with the same confusion:

So the basic statement is that the (free) Yang-Mills action has conformal symmetry in Minkowski space. One way to check this statement is via the vanishing of the trace of the energy-momentum tensor. To see how this is crucial: remember [itex]T_{\mu \nu} = \frac{\partial S}{\partial g^{\mu \nu}}[/itex] hence the *trace* of this should express how the action changes under a scaling of the metric, which is what conformal symmetry is all about.

For Yang-Mills one can check that [itex]T^\mu_\mu = \left( \frac{g^\mu_\mu}{2} - 1 \right) F^{\mu \nu} F_{\mu \nu} [/itex] (source: the Deligne book that andrien refers to, p200, equation (3.79)). Hence this vanishes if and only if our spacetime is 4D, in which case the trace of the metric is -1+1+1+1 = 2.

When we do QFT we look at the path-integral [itex]\int e^{iS} \mathcal D A[/itex] and it turns out our measure is not conformally invariant, hence our theory/amplitudes will not be (this is called an anomaly). However, anomaly only enter in loop calculations(?), hence we should still expect Yang-Mills to have conformally invariant tree scattering amplitudes, an example being the so-called MHV amplitudes.

Likes 1 person

Related to Is Yang-Mills scale invariant?

1. What is Yang-Mills scale invariance?

Yang-Mills scale invariance is a property of the Yang-Mills theory, which is a mathematical framework used to understand the behavior of fundamental particles. In simple terms, it means that the theory remains unchanged when the energy scale or size of the system is changed.

2. Why is scale invariance important in the Yang-Mills theory?

Scale invariance is important because it allows for the theory to accurately describe the behavior of particles at all energy scales. This is crucial in understanding the fundamental interactions between particles and their behavior at high energies.

3. What evidence supports the idea of Yang-Mills scale invariance?

There is strong theoretical and experimental evidence that supports the idea of Yang-Mills scale invariance. The mathematical equations of the theory have been extensively tested and found to accurately predict the behavior of particles at different energy scales. Additionally, experimental results from particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider have also shown consistency with the predictions of the Yang-Mills theory.

4. Are there any limitations to Yang-Mills scale invariance?

While it is a powerful and widely accepted theory, Yang-Mills scale invariance does have some limitations. It does not fully explain the behavior of all particles, particularly those with strong interactions such as the strong nuclear force. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of gravity.

5. How does Yang-Mills scale invariance relate to other theories in physics?

Yang-Mills scale invariance is closely related to other important theories in physics, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics. It is also a fundamental part of the Standard Model, which is the currently accepted theory of particle physics. Additionally, scale invariance is a key concept in many other areas of physics, including thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.