Is x*cos(Ax) + B*sin(Ax) = 0 Solvable for x?

• Thread starter Michael12345
  • Start date
In summary, The equation x*cos(Ax) + B*sin(Ax) = 0, where A and B are nonzero constants, has only one solution at x=0. All other solutions occur when x*cos(Ax) = -B*sin(Ax), x≠0, which cannot be solved algebraically.
Michael12345

Homework Equations

x*cos(Ax) + B*sin(Ax) = 0

Where A and B are nonzero constants.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only value of x where both terms are zero is x=0. All other solutions (presumably an infinite number of them) occur when:

x*cos(Ax) = -B*sin(Ax), x≠0.

This seems intractable to me, but I don't have the math skills required to recognize an equation that cannot be solved algebraically.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Michael! :smile:
Michael12345 said:
x*cos(Ax) = -B*sin(Ax), x≠0.

This seems intractable to me, but I don't have the math skills required to recognize an equation that cannot be solved algebraically.

You can simplify it as tan(Ax)/x = -1/B …

yes, that has no algebraic solution.

Related to Is x*cos(Ax) + B*sin(Ax) = 0 Solvable for x?

1. What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities using symbols and mathematical operations.

2. What does it mean to solve an equation for x?

Solving an equation for x means finding the value or values of the variable x that make the equation true when substituted into it.

3. What are the steps to solve an equation for x?

The steps to solve an equation for x may vary depending on the type of equation, but generally, they involve isolating x on one side of the equation using inverse operations and simplifying the other side.

4. Can all equations be solved for x?

Not all equations can be solved for x. Some equations may have multiple solutions, while others may have no solution. Additionally, some equations may be unsolvable if they contain conflicting or impossible statements.

5. How do I know if my solution for x is correct?

To check if your solution for x is correct, you can substitute the value of x into the original equation and see if it results in a true statement. Additionally, you can use algebraic properties to simplify both sides of the equation and see if they are equal.