Is Work Positive or Negative on a Stretched Spring with a Mass?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the work of a stretched spring with a mass on it. The question is whether the work is positive or negative when the spring is pulling the mass back towards the equilibrium point. The person asking the question believes the work is positive, but they are unsure.
GBA13

Homework Statement

Hi,

I am thinking about a stretched spring with a mass on it. When the spring is fully extended and has just started to pull the mass back towards the equilibrium point, is the work positive or negative?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I think as the spring is pulling the mass then work is positive but I'm not sure. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
GBA13 said:

Homework Statement

Hi,

I am thinking about a stretched spring with a mass on it. When the spring is fully extended and has just started to pull the mass back towards the equilibrium point, is the work positive or negative?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I think as the spring is pulling the mass then work is positive but I'm not sure. Thanks!
Please explain why you think it is positive.

Southampton uni coursework answers your looking for

Related to Is Work Positive or Negative on a Stretched Spring with a Mass?

What is stretched spring work?

Stretched spring work refers to the amount of energy that is stored in a spring when it is stretched or compressed. This energy is known as potential energy and is measured in joules.

How is the work done on a stretched spring calculated?

The work done on a stretched spring is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the spring by the distance it is stretched. This can be represented by the equation W = F * x, where W is the work, F is the force, and x is the distance.

What factors affect the work done on a stretched spring?

The work done on a stretched spring is affected by the amount of force applied, the distance the spring is stretched, and the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring.

Can you give an example of stretched spring work in real life?

One example of stretched spring work in real life is a pogo stick. When a person jumps on a pogo stick, the spring inside is compressed and stores potential energy. This energy is then released as the person bounces up and down, converting potential energy into kinetic energy.

What is the relationship between stretched spring work and Hooke's law?

Hooke's law states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the amount the spring is stretched or compressed. This means that as the spring is stretched, the work done on the spring increases proportionally.