Is Wolfram's Answer to the Integral Problem Wrong?

In summary: You cannot rule out interpretation errors. E.g. it does converge for ##a=b=0## and Wolfram Alpha didn't consider the possible values of the constants. And what if ##a,b## are multiples of ##2\pi\,?##Does Wolfram give answers without specific numerical inputs?
nikos749
TL;DR Summary
i had been trying to solve $$\int_0^{\infty} \frac{e^{iax}-e^{-ibx}}{x^2} dx$$ with mathematica but the result was "Integral does not converge''
I had been trying to aplly the sokhotski–plemelj theorem but with no success.
Moreover i replaced exponential function with taylor expansion but i still can not solve the integral.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would split it into two integrals, substitute ##x## by ##\dfrac{1}{x}## and look whether I can get it to look like the Gamma function.
$$
\int_0^\infty x^{z-1}e^{-\mu x} = \dfrac{\Gamma(z)}{\mu^z} \; , \;Re(z),Re(\mu) > 0
$$
$$
\int_0^\infty x^{z-1}e^{- i \mu x} = \dfrac{\Gamma(z)}{( i \mu)^z} \; , \;0<Re(z)<1,\mu > 0
$$

Likes dextercioby
fresh_42 said:
I would split it into two integrals, substitute ##x## by ##\dfrac{1}{x}## and look whether I can get it to look like the Gamma function.
$$
\int_0^\infty x^{z-1}e^{-\mu x} = \dfrac{\Gamma(z)}{\mu^z} \; , \;Re(z),Re(\mu) > 0
$$
$$
\int_0^\infty x^{z-1}e^{- i \mu x} = \dfrac{\Gamma(z)}{( i \mu)^z} \; , \;0<Re(z)<1,\mu > 0
$$
i end up $$\int_0^{\infty} ( e^{ia/x}-e^{-ib/x})dx$$ which is something different from gamma function

I do not understand what is point simplifying it if it is already clear, that the integral does not converge. Even ##\int_0^1(dx*\frac{1}{x^2})## does not converge.

olgerm said:
I do not understand what is point simplifying it if it is already clear, that the integral does not converge. Even ##\int_0^1(dx*\frac{1}{x^2})## does not converge.
Wolfram Alpha is a good hint, but not a proof. You cannot rule out interpretation errors. E.g. it does converge for ##a=b=0## and Wolfram Alpha didn't consider the possible values of the constants. And what if ##a,b## are multiples of ##2\pi\,?##

Does Wolfram give answers without specific numerical inputs? I remember having trouble trying it recently. Each constant generates a full parameter space.

It only says "does not converge", which is wrong for a=b=0.

fresh_42 said:
It only says "does not converge", which is wrong for a=b=0.
Maybe it is Wolfram's answer which doesn't converge ;).

Related to Is Wolfram's Answer to the Integral Problem Wrong?

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. Why is problem solving an integral important?

Solving integrals is important because it allows us to find the exact value of a function over a given interval. This is useful in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where we need to calculate areas, volumes, and other quantities.

3. What are the different methods for solving integrals?

There are several methods for solving integrals, including substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. Each method is useful for different types of integrals and can make the problem easier to solve.

4. How do I know which method to use for a specific integral?

Choosing the right method for solving an integral depends on the form of the integrand (the function being integrated). It is important to recognize patterns and use the appropriate method for each type of integral. Practice and familiarity with different methods can help in making this decision.

5. Can integrals be solved without using calculus?

No, integrals cannot be solved without using calculus. Calculus is the branch of mathematics that deals with the study of integrals and derivatives. Integrals are a fundamental concept in calculus and cannot be solved using other mathematical methods.