Is WKB or Perturbation Theory More Applicable for Slowly Varying Potentials?

In summary, the WKB approximation and perturbation theory are both applicable in the range of slowly varying potentials. However, their range of applicability is different, with WKB being good for "smooth" potentials and perturbation theory being good for "small" potentials. WKB takes into account the potential nearly exactly, while perturbation theory neglects it in the initial approximation and then searches for corrections. Additionally, WKB can be considered a type of perturbative method, as it involves expanding about a Lagrangian that has been gauge-transformed to a free Lagrangian. The differences between these two methods can be better understood by looking at specific examples.
Eduard1
Dear All,

I have recently read about WKB approximation and about perturbation theory.

Both methods are applicable in the range of slowly varying potentials. What I have not understood is which is the range of applicability of one of the method compared with the other one. More precisely: are there cases when one can apply WKB but NOT the perturbation theory ? (or vice versa ?). Also it is not clear to me if one could call WKB a perturbative method or not.

I have tried to get the answer about these 2 questions by looking in some standard QM textbooks (Cohen-Tannoudji) but so far I have not found anything clear. Maybe someone from you with more QM background could give me some hints about the differences btw WKB and perturbative methods.

With all my best wishes,
Ed

Physics news on Phys.org
Eduard1 said:
Both methods are applicable in the range of slowly varying potentials.
It is no so! WKB is good for "smooth" potentials, the PT is good for "small" potentials. They are quite different. They both are methods of approximating the solutions, but their range of applicability is different. See more examples solved by them to get the difference.

Dear Bob,

Thanks a lot for the fast answer.

Bob_for_short said:
WKB is good for "smooth" potentials, the PT is good for "small" potentials. They are quite different. .

If I do not bother you too much could I ask you which is the difference between "smooth" and "small" potentials. By smooth potential I would understand something like the potential in a metal (i.e. free electron system). But this is also small (I think).

Thanks a lot if you would have some time to clarify me this aspect.

With all my best wishes,
Ed

Eduard1 said:
If I do not bother you too much could I ask you which is the difference between "smooth" and "small" potentials... Ed

WKB takes into account the smooth potential nearly exactly and anyway it does not neglect the potential. Consider a particle trapped in a smooth potential well (a bound state). The WKB solution is very accurate.

PT neglects the potential in the initial approximation, so it should be really small. Then the first correction is searched, the second one, etc. It is just expanding a function in the Taylor series.

I cannot say more. You have to see concrete examples.

Hi Bob,

Thanks a lot for the answer. It actually helped me to clarify the problem.

Ed

Actually, WKB is a type of perturbative approach. I suppose that "perturbation theory" is usually used to imply perturbation about a "free" Lagrangian. However, other problems can also be solved by perturbing about an exact solution (e.g. 1/r potential). In fact, the WKB method is basically a perturbative expansion about a Lagrangian that has be gauge-transformed to a free Lagrangian.

Related to Is WKB or Perturbation Theory More Applicable for Slowly Varying Potentials?

1. What is the difference between WKB and perturbation theory?

The WKB (Wentzel-Kramers-Brillouin) method is a semi-classical approximation technique used to solve differential equations in quantum mechanics. It is based on the assumption that the wavefunction varies slowly over space and time. On the other hand, perturbation theory is a method used to solve problems by treating a small parameter as a perturbation to the system. In quantum mechanics, this small parameter is often the potential energy.

2. When should I use WKB instead of perturbation theory?

WKB is best suited for problems where the potential energy changes slowly and smoothly, and the energy levels are well-separated. It is also useful when the perturbation is not small enough to apply perturbation theory. However, if the potential energy changes rapidly or if the energy levels are close together, perturbation theory may be a better method to use.

3. Is WKB more accurate than perturbation theory?

It depends on the problem at hand. WKB gives better results for systems with smooth potential energy and well-separated energy levels, while perturbation theory is more accurate for systems with rapidly changing potential energy and closely spaced energy levels. Generally, WKB is more accurate than first-order perturbation theory, but higher-order perturbation theory can give better results for certain systems.

4. Can WKB and perturbation theory be used together?

Yes, they can be used together in a technique called the WKB-perturbation method. This method combines the advantages of both techniques to solve problems that cannot be solved using either method alone. It is particularly useful for problems with a slowly changing potential energy that is also perturbed by a small parameter.

5. Are there any other limitations of WKB and perturbation theory?

WKB and perturbation theory are both based on certain assumptions and approximations, so they have their limitations. WKB is not accurate for systems with potential energy that changes rapidly or has discontinuities. Perturbation theory may not give accurate results for systems with large perturbations or when the perturbation is not small compared to the original system. It is important to analyze the problem at hand and choose the appropriate method accordingly.