Is Weinberg missing a \gamma_5 in his mass parameter redefinition?

In summary, Weinberg's-Quantum Theory of fields provides a way to calculate the mass parameter, but the author seems to be missing a gamma_5 term.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I'm having problem in deriving 23.6.11 from Weinberg's-Quantum Theory of fields...

We have: [itex] \psi_f \rightarrow \exp (i a_f \gamma_5) \psi_f[/itex], f denoting the flavor.

Then for the mass term lagrangian he writes:

[itex] L_m = - \frac{1}{2} \sum_f M_f \bar{\psi}_f (1+ \gamma_5) \psi_f - \frac{1}{2} \sum_f M^*_f \bar{\psi}_f (1- \gamma_5) \psi_f[/itex]

With [itex]M_f[/itex] the mass parameters. He says that by making a transformation of the fields as above, the mass parameter will be redefined:

[itex]M_f \rightarrow M_f \exp (2i a_f)[/itex]
However I think he is missing a [itex]\gamma_5[/itex]?

Because the first for example term:

\begin{multline}

\\

-\frac{1}{2} \sum_f M_f\psi^\dagger_f e^{-i \gamma_5 a_f}\gamma_0 (1+ \gamma_5) e^{i \gamma_5 a_f} \psi_f=\\

\approx -\frac{1}{2} \sum_f M_f\psi^\dagger_f (1-i \gamma_5 a_f)\gamma_0 (1+ \gamma_5) (1+i \gamma_5 a_f) \psi_f=\\

=-\frac{1}{2} \sum_f \psi^\dagger_f \gamma_0 M_f (1+i \gamma_5 a_f) (1+i \gamma_5 a_f) (1+ \gamma_5)\psi_f=\\

=-\frac{1}{2} \sum_f \bar{\psi}_f M_f (1+i 2 \gamma_5 a_f) (1+ \gamma_5)\psi_f

\end{multline}which leads in the redifinition of M:

[itex]M_f \rightarrow M_f \exp (2i a_f \gamma_5)[/itex]

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Expand ## e^{ i \alpha_f \gamma_5} = 1 + i \alpha_f \gamma_5 - \frac{\alpha_f^2}{2!} \gamma_5 \ldots = \cos{\alpha_f} 1 + i \sin{\alpha_f} \gamma_5 ,## since ## \gamma_5^2 = 1##.

The first term in the lagrangian goes to ##\rightarrow \bar{\psi} e^{i \alpha_f \gamma_5} ( 1 + \gamma_5 ) e^{i \alpha_f \gamma_5} \psi ##

Using the expansion above, we find that
[tex] e^{2 i \alpha_f \gamma_5} = \cos{2 \alpha_f} 1 + i \sin{2 \alpha_f} \gamma_5 [/tex]
and
[tex] e^{i \alpha_f \gamma_5} \gamma_5 e^{i \alpha_f \gamma_5} = \cos{2\alpha_f} \gamma_5 + i \sin{2\alpha_f} 1 [/tex]
so
[tex] e^{i \alpha_f \gamma_5} ( 1 + \gamma_5 ) e^{i \alpha_f \gamma_5} = e^{2 i \alpha_f} (1 + \gamma_5) [/tex]

Likes ChrisVer
Hi, thanks for clarifying... so I have to expland the whole exponential... [that is somewhat confusing, other times people expland it up to 1st order, other times they write the whole expansion].

Could someone help me with the metric he obtains at 23.4.10?
I have tried all possible ways but I haven't been able to reproduce his result... Here is my last try for solution...Obviously my results are not the same even for the easies ase of (44) component..

Used:

[itex]Tr[\tau_a \tau_b]= \frac{1}{2} \delta_{ab}[/itex]
[itex]Tr[\tau_a \tau_b \tau_c]= \frac{i}{8} \epsilon_{bca}[/itex]
[itex]Tr[\tau_a \tau_b \tau_c \tau_d]= \frac{1}{8} \delta_{ab} \delta_{cd} + \frac{1}{32} ( \delta_{cb} \delta_{ad} - \delta_{ca} \delta_{bd})[/itex]

\begin{multline}

\\

g=\theta_4 1 +2 i \theta_i \tau_i \\

g^{-1}= \theta_4 1 -2 i \theta_i \tau_i \\

A_{ij}=g^{-1} (\partial_i g) g^{-1} (\partial_j g)\\

\end{multline}
\begin{equation}

\gamma_{ij}(\theta) = -\frac{1}{2} Tr A_{ij}

\end{equation}
So:
\begin{multline}

A_{44}=g^{-1} (\partial_4 g) g^{-1} (\partial_4 g)=g^{-1} g^{-1} 1= \theta_4^2 1- 4 \theta_a \theta_b \tau_a \tau_b-4i \theta_4 \theta_a \tau_a \\

\gamma_{44}= - \theta_4^2 + \theta^2 = 2 \theta^2 -1 \\

A_{4i}= g^{-1} (\partial_4 g) g^{-1} (\partial_i g)= g^{-1} g^{-1} 2i \tau_i=2i \theta_4^2 \tau_i - 8i \theta_a \theta_b \tau_a \tau_b \tau_i +8 \theta_4 \theta_a \tau_a \tau_i\\

\gamma_{4i}=-\frac{1}{2} \theta_a \theta_b \epsilon_{bia}-2 \theta_4 \theta_i = - 2 \theta_4 \theta_i = \gamma_{i4} \Big|_{checked}\\

A_{ij}=-4g^{-1} \tau_i g^{-1} \tau_j= -4 (\theta_4 1 -2 i \theta_a \tau_a)\tau_i (\theta_4 1 -2 i \theta_b \tau_b)\tau_j\\

\gamma_{ij}=-\frac{1}{4} (3 \theta^2 \delta_{ij}- 4\delta_{ij}+ 5 \theta_{i} \theta_{j})\\

\end{multline}

Last edited:

Related to Is Weinberg missing a \gamma_5 in his mass parameter redefinition?

1. What is "Weinberg QFT Vol2 pg457"?

"Weinberg QFT Vol2 pg457" refers to page 457 of Volume 2 of the book "Quantum Field Theory" written by physicist Steven Weinberg. It is a renowned textbook on the subject of quantum field theory, covering topics such as the quantization of scalar and spinor fields, perturbation theory, and renormalization.

2. Who is Steven Weinberg?

Steven Weinberg is an American theoretical physicist and Nobel Laureate, known for his contributions to the development of the Standard Model of particle physics and for his work on the unification of electromagnetism and the weak nuclear force. He is also a prolific author, with "Quantum Field Theory" being one of his most well-known works.

3. What is the purpose of Volume 2 of "Quantum Field Theory"?

The purpose of Volume 2 of "Quantum Field Theory" is to provide a comprehensive and rigorous introduction to the mathematical foundations of quantum field theory. It covers advanced topics such as gauge theories, spontaneous symmetry breaking, and the renormalization group, making it a valuable resource for graduate students and researchers in the field.

4. Is "Weinberg QFT Vol2 pg457" suitable for beginners?

No, "Weinberg QFT Vol2 pg457" is not suitable for beginners. It is a highly advanced and technical textbook that assumes a strong background in mathematics and physics, particularly in quantum mechanics and special relativity. It is more suitable for graduate students and researchers in the field.

5. Are there other volumes of "Quantum Field Theory" written by Steven Weinberg?

Yes, there are two other volumes of "Quantum Field Theory" written by Steven Weinberg. Volume 1 covers the foundations of quantum field theory and volume 3 covers the non-abelian gauge theories of the strong and electroweak interactions. Together, these three volumes form a comprehensive and authoritative guide to the subject.