Is Weighing Quarters Individually More Precise Than Together?

In summary, it is better to weigh all five quarters together rather than weighing them individually because it reduces the cumulative error and provides a more accurate measurement. However, when adding multiple measurements, the standard deviation must be calculated to determine the overall error.
brycenrg

Homework Statement

What is a more precise way of finding the total mass? Weighing 5 individual quarters or weighing them all together?

2. Relevant equation
individual weights n1+n2+n3+n4+n5 = total weight
total weighed together N = total weight

The Attempt at a Solution

I think weighing individually is more precise, but we weigh things together because the loss error is
negligible.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi brycenrg:

I think you need to specify something about the scale you are using to make the weight measurements. For example: is the precision of measurement plus/minus a fixed weight, or is it plus/minus a fixed fraction of the measurement? Or is it a variable fraction of the measurement depending on the weight?

Regards,
Buzz

Hello Buzz Bloom:

It would be an analytical balance with a ± 0.0005 g
Im not sure what the differences are for fixed weight or fixed fraction or the variable fraction.

Thank you.

If the scale has the capacity to weigh all parts together, I'm quite certain you'd have better accuracy.
Most scales are ±1 on the least significant digit (in some cases ±5 which sounds like yours), and ± x% total error.. by weighing all parts together you reduce the cumulative error on the significant digit part, though the percentage error would remain the same... The smaller your pieces are, the more accurate you'll be by weighing them all together.

For example.. if the real weight is.0010g for each piece it means the scale could show between .0005 and .0015g grams... weighing each piece individually means you only know the total weight will be between .0025 and .0075g.
Weighing them together you will get .005g ± .0005g
But how are you getting 5 quarters?

Rx7man said:
If the scale has the capacity to weigh all parts together, I'm quite certain you'd have better accuracy.
Most scales are ±1 on the least significant digit (in some cases ±5 which sounds like yours), and ± x% total error.. by weighing all parts together you reduce the cumulative error on the significant digit part, though the percentage error would remain the same... The smaller your pieces are, the more accurate you'll be by weighing them all together.

For example.. if the real weight is.0010g for each piece it means the scale could show between .0005 and .0015g grams... weighing each piece individually means you only know the total weight will be between .0025 and .0075g.
Weighing them together you will get .005g ± .0005gBut how are you getting 5 quarters?
Thank you, and to clarify i mean 25 cent quarters.
So i could just say (x ± .0005g) + (c ± .0005g)+ (a ± .0005g)+ (z ± .0005g)+ (d ± .0005g) = (x1+x2+x3+x4+x5) ± .0025
Which if i weighed them all at once on the scale it would be (X) ± .0005g?
Soo.. if that's the correct logic then it would be more precise weighing it all at once? It seems like individual would be better but I dono.

Unless they're new quarters, they're going to be a little worn, and that can shave some weight off them... seems that if you're trying to count quarters, the scale is far more accurate than you need... what are you trying to accomplish?

how did you get the uncertainty of 0.0025?

brycenrg said:
So i could just say (x ± .0005g) + (c ± .0005g)+ (a ± .0005g)+ (z ± .0005g)+ (d ± .0005g) = (x1+x2+x3+x4+x5) ± .0025
Hi brycenrg:

Your answer that measuring all five at the same time is better than measuring one at a time is correct. However, what the ± .0005g means is that the .0005g is the standard deviation of the scale's error distribution. To get the standard deviation from adding the five separate measurements, you have to calculate the square root of the sum of the squares. Thus the standard deviation is
√(5 × .00052) g = .0005 × √5 g. Thus the answer from 5 separate weighings is
(x1+x2+x3+x4+x5) ± .0005 × √5 g ≈ (x1+x2+x3+x4+x5) ± .0011 g.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
Likes brycenrg
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi brycenrg:

Your answer that measuring all five at the same time is better than measuring one at a time is correct. However, what the ± .0005g means is that the .0005g is the standard deviation of the scale's error distribution. To get the standard deviation from adding the five separate measurements, you have to calculate the square root of the sum of the squares. Thus the standard deviation is
√(5 × .00052) g = .0005 × √5 g. Thus the answer from 5 separate weighings is
(x1+x2+x3+x4+x5) ± .0005 × √5 g ≈ (x1+x2+x3+x4+x5) ± .0011 g.

Regards,
Buzz
Thank you buzz

Related to Is Weighing Quarters Individually More Precise Than Together?

1. What is uncertainty in measurement?

Uncertainty in measurement refers to the potential error or variability in a measurement result. It is the degree of doubt or lack of confidence in the accuracy of a measured value.

2. What factors contribute to uncertainty in measurement?

There are several factors that can contribute to uncertainty in measurement, including the precision and accuracy of the measuring instrument, human error, environmental conditions, and limitations of the measurement process.

3. How is uncertainty in measurement expressed?

Uncertainty in measurement is typically expressed as a range of values, known as the measurement uncertainty interval, which represents the potential error in a measurement result. It is often expressed as a percentage or a specific value with units.

4. How can uncertainty in measurement be reduced?

Uncertainty in measurement can be reduced by using more precise and accurate measuring instruments, minimizing human error through proper training and techniques, and controlling environmental conditions during the measurement process. Repetition of measurements and statistical analysis can also help reduce uncertainty.

5. Why is it important to consider uncertainty in measurement?

It is important to consider uncertainty in measurement because it provides a measure of the reliability and accuracy of a measurement result. Without accounting for uncertainty, it is impossible to determine the true value of a measured quantity and make informed decisions based on the data.