Is Velocity in Angular Motion Referring to Tangential or Angular Speed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the distinction between tangential and angular velocity in uniform circular motion problems. It is clarified that when a problem mentions velocity in meters per second, it is referring to tangential velocity. The relation between angular and tangential speeds is also mentioned.
oneplusone
Hello,

I was solving some problems today. Sometimes the wording is something like this:

A ball attached to a string is traveling around a circular track with velocity [itex]4[/itex] m/s.
etc.

When it says the velocity is 4 m/s , does this mean the tangential, or angular velocity?
what is the distinction?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
oneplusone said:
When it says the velocity is 4 m/s , does this mean the tangential, or angular velocity?
Angular velocity is not measured in m/s, but in 1/s.

If you are doing uniform circular motion (beginner's physics), most likely the problem is talking about avg. speed. For example, if the circle has a circumference of 5 m and the ball traveled around it in 2 seconds, the avg. speed is 2.5 m/s.

JeweliaHeart said:
If you are doing uniform circular motion (beginner's physics)
Hello,

Yes, I'm doing beginners physics. I'm just having trouble finding if the object the problem mentions is traveling at a TANGENTIAL speed or ANGULAR speed. Like in the OP, how would you know that the velocity mentioned is tangential velocity?
Thanks.

oneplusone said:
Hello,

Yes, I'm doing beginners physics. I'm just having trouble finding if the object the problem mentions is traveling at a TANGENTIAL speed or ANGULAR speed. Like in the OP, how would you know that the velocity mentioned is tangential velocity?
Thanks.

The speed Jewelia worked out is the tangential speed. For uniform circular motion, the tangential speed is constant (as well as the angular speed).

Remember the relation between angular and tangential speeds: [itex] v = \omega r [/itex], so if it has units of [itex] m/s [/itex] it refers to the tangential speed.

Last edited:
Hello,
So does this mean whenever a problem says "an object moves with speed, s, in a circular path" the speed is the TANGENTIAL speed?I'm not sure how to phrase my question clearer.

Look at your units. Most likely, the problem is referring to tangential speed.

tangential speed is often written in meters/sec.

angular speed has units of radians/sec or degrees/sec.

Related to Is Velocity in Angular Motion Referring to Tangential or Angular Speed?

1. What is velocity in angular motion?

Velocity in angular motion is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement over time. It describes how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis.

2. How is velocity in angular motion calculated?

Velocity in angular motion is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s).

3. What is the difference between linear velocity and angular velocity?

Linear velocity describes the rate of change of an object's position in a straight line, while angular velocity describes the rate of change of an object's rotational position around an axis. Linear velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s), while angular velocity is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

4. How does angular velocity affect centripetal force?

Angular velocity is directly related to centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. As angular velocity increases, so does the centripetal force required to maintain the circular motion.

5. What factors can affect the velocity in angular motion?

The velocity in angular motion can be affected by the amount of torque applied to the object, the moment of inertia (a measure of the object's resistance to rotational motion), and any external forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance.