Is Velocity Conserved in an Elastic Collision Between Two Cars?

In summary, velocity is conserved in an elastic collision between two cars. This means that the total momentum and kinetic energy of the system remains the same before and after the collision. However, the velocity of each individual car may change depending on the masses and velocities of the cars before the collision. This is due to the conservation of momentum and energy laws, which state that in a closed system, the total amount of momentum and energy remains constant. Therefore, in an elastic collision between two cars, the initial and final velocities of the cars may differ, but the total velocity of the system remains unchanged.
ir0r0
My question is, in an explosion, where 2 cars at rest are pushed apart by a spring between them, is velocity conserved? Does the total velocity for both cars before spring release equal the total velocity after release? Why or why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
ir0r0 said:
My question is, in an explosion, where 2 cars at rest are pushed apart by a spring between them, is velocity conserved? Does the total velocity for both cars before spring release equal the total velocity after release? Why or why not?
If the cars are at rest, then the total velocity before is zero. This cannot be said of the velocities after release. Velocity isn't conserved and depends on many factors. One is, that the two cars don't even have a single velocity, since the spring applies an acceleration to the cars, not a velocity. I recommend to read about Newton's laws of motion. A good start would be the Wikipedia entry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion

ir0r0 said:
The quantity that is conserved is momentum, which is mass times velocity. Look up conservation of momentum.

Note that if you have a number of particles all of the same mass, then conservation of momentum - in this special case - does indeed reduce to conservation of velocity!

fresh_42 said:
If the cars are at rest, then the total velocity before is zero. This cannot be said of the velocities after release. Velocity isn't conserved and depends on many factors. One is, that the two cars don't even have a single velocity, since the spring applies an acceleration to the cars, not a velocity. I recommend to read about Newton's laws of motion. A good start would be the Wikipedia entry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion
Thanks for the reply! I've been thinking about it for the last 30 mins or so, and I think I have a simpler explanation (at least for me). Please let me know if my thinking is correct.

So, the reason velocity isn't conserved is because if the cars have different masses, the velocity is different. However, if the mass was the same, then velocity would be conserved in addition to momentum. Correct?

PeroK said:
The quantity that is conserved is momentum, which is mass times velocity. Look up conservation of momentum.

Note that if you have a number of particles all of the same mass, then conservation of momentum - in this special case - does indeed reduce to conservation of velocity!
Ah, I just realized that too! Thanks!

ir0r0 said:
Thanks for the reply! I've been thinking about it for the last 30 mins or so, and I think I have a simpler explanation (at least for me). Please let me know if my thinking is correct.

So, the reason velocity isn't conserved is because if the cars have different masses, the velocity is different. However, if the mass was the same, then velocity would be conserved in addition to momentum. Correct?
Yes, if you take the directions into account. But both accelerate first and slow down again due to friction and air resistance (which also have to be the same), so it's not a single velocity, only velocities of equal amount in opposite directions, so the sum remains zero.

ir0r0 said:
However, if the mass was the same, then velocity would be conserved in addition to momentum. Correct?
I wouldn't phrase it that way, because it's likely to lead to confusion: by this approach, velocity is sometimes "conserved" and sometimes isn't. Better to say momentum is conserved, and note that the masses cancel sometimes.

ir0r0 said:
he says that V1 initial + V1 final = V2 initial + V2 final for elastic collisions. Isn't this contrary to what everybody here has been saying?
No. The conservation of momentum says that the sum of the initial momenta is equal to the sum of the final momenta. A "conservation of velocity" would say that the sum of the initial velocities is equal to the sum of the final velocities, which is not what the equation says. Rearrange slightly and you'll see that it says that, for a two-body elastic collision, the difference of the initial velocities is equal to the difference of the final velocities.

Apparently the result is derived in another video. It's a consequence of conservation of energy.

Last edited:
ir0r0 said:
https://www.khanacademy.org/science...e-the-shortcut-for-solving-elastic-collisions

I just watched this, here he says that V1 initial + V1 final = V2 initial + V2 final for elastic collisions. Isn't this contrary to what everybody here has been saying? How is that true??
Where's the extra energy that has been stored in the spring? Also friction and air resistance is neglected. But the main difference is, that your proposed equation has been ##v_{1,initial}+v_{2,initial} = v_{1,final}+v_{2,final}## which is different and in general wrong. Here's the corresponding picture from the Wikipedia page:

400px-Elastischer_sto%C3%9F3.gif

It shows quite well, that the momentum is conserved, i.e. the masses are important. The equation of the elastic collision without masses results from the fact, that two equations with masses are simplified to a single equation in which the masses canceled out. What you have proposed was ##0 = v_{1,initial}+v_{2,initial} = v_{1,final}+v_{2,final} = \frac{4}{3}##.

Attachments

• 400px-Elastischer_sto%C3%9F3.gif
    400px-Elastischer_sto%C3%9F3.gif
    80.6 KB · Views: 620
ir0r0 said:
https://www.khanacademy.org/science...e-the-shortcut-for-solving-elastic-collisions

I just watched this, here he says that V1 initial + V1 final = V2 initial + V2 final for elastic collisions. Isn't this contrary to what everybody here has been saying? How is that true??
You need to be careful not to confuse different with contrary. That statement - for an elastic collision - is something different.

In fact, I would rewrite it as:

##v_{1i}-v_{2i} = -(v_{1f}-v_{2f})##

Where ##v_1-v_2## is the relative velocity of the two objects. That equation says, therefore, that the relative velocity is reversed during an elastic collision.

One example of this is a rubber ball bouncing on a hard floor, where the ball bounces (almost) as high as the point you dropped it from.

Related to Is Velocity Conserved in an Elastic Collision Between Two Cars?

1. What is the conservation of velocity?

The conservation of velocity is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total velocity of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does the conservation of velocity apply to everyday life?

The conservation of velocity applies to many everyday scenarios, such as when you kick a ball and it continues moving at a constant velocity until it is acted upon by friction or another force.

3. Can the conservation of velocity be violated?

No, the conservation of velocity is a universal law and cannot be violated. However, in some cases, it may appear that velocity is not conserved due to external forces that are not initially accounted for.

4. How is the conservation of velocity related to other conservation laws?

The conservation of velocity is closely related to other conservation laws, such as the conservation of energy and momentum. These laws all stem from the principle of conservation of mass and are interconnected in many physical phenomena.

5. What are some real-world applications of the conservation of velocity?

The conservation of velocity is applied in many areas, including transportation, sports, and engineering. It is also crucial in understanding the motion of objects in space and the behavior of fluids in pipes and channels.