Is Velocity Conserved in a Falling Balls Collision Experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving a ramp, two balls, and a sheet of paper to determine if momentum and energy are conserved. The experiment involves releasing a ball from the top of the ramp to collide with a stationary ball at the bottom. The participants are tasked with calculating the left and right sides of two equations to determine if momentum and mechanical energy are conserved. The conversation also mentions the possibility of rolling motion affecting the results.
rahmatkat
Hi there, can anyone help me with this problem, I'll be grateful to received your help.

It was like this, we were doing an experiment on collision and this is how it goes;

We place a ramp on table and a sheet of paper at the bottom of the table but close to the edge. Then we put two balls, one at the top of the ramp ready tobe release and one at the end of the ramp (stationary).Then the ball at the top of the ramp was release and hit the ball at the bottom, the diagram which I have drawn shows the direction of the two balls and a resultant.:smile:

View attachment Collision.doc

The Question is that, we have to explain if a velocity for this experiment is conserved or not and if momentum of collision is also conserved or not?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I don't quite know how the rest of the experiment goes, but from what I can see, you're supposed to determine whether momentum is conserved, and whether mechanical energy is conserved (What the instructions called velocity).

Look to see if the following two conditions hold true, by calculating the left and ride side of each equation:
[tex]P_i=P_f[/tex]
[tex]E_{k_i}=E_{k_f}[/tex]

Remember that the kinetic energy of the impacting ball right before the collision is equal to its initial potential energy (Assuming conservation of energy, you'd have to neglect the effect of friction to achieve this).

Oh, and don't forget that rolling motion is another form of kinetic energy, so you'd have to take that into account as well.

So I have to find out the kinectic energy of the two ball's as well, I think that were i got everything wrong 'cause I was only trying to find the velocity of the balls. Thank for the help.

Related to Is Velocity Conserved in a Falling Balls Collision Experiment?

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system of objects remains constant, regardless of any external forces acting on the objects. This means that in a collision between two objects, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

How does the mass and velocity of objects affect collisions?

The mass and velocity of objects affect collisions by determining the amount of momentum each object has. In a collision, the total momentum before and after the collision must be equal. This means that if one object has a larger mass or higher velocity, it will have more momentum and will exert a greater force on the other object during the collision.

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the two objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an elastic collision, both the momentum and kinetic energy are conserved.

What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that some of the energy is lost as heat or sound during the collision. In an inelastic collision, the momentum is conserved, but the kinetic energy is not.

What factors can affect the outcome of a collision between two objects?

The outcome of a collision between two objects can be affected by factors such as the mass, velocity, and elasticity of the objects, as well as the angle and direction of the collision. External forces, such as friction or air resistance, can also play a role in the outcome of a collision.