Is Using PV Cells for Water Heating a Cost-Effective Solution in Southern UK?

In summary, a PV system uses solar energy to generate power, and is a very cost-effective way to power your home. It is easy to install, and there are no special requirements for the water tank.
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I keep thinking of doing something with Solar Power. (Southern UK)
The easiest, conceptually would be very basic homemade thermal panels but then there's the problem of how to use the hot (warm) water. That involves plumbing and a special hot tank.
Once you've gone for that, you may as well spend more and get the high performance 'tubes' and it gets really expensive - even when you shop around.

If you go for the PV solution, then people think in terms of going the whole hog, getting connected to the Grid and selling what you don't use. This seems to be flavour of the month and there are many very sexy looking packages, which are being sold quite hard - so someone's making a lot of money out of them.

I was thinking about a much simpler (hi tech / lo tech) system, involving PVs on the roof, no fancy plumbing; just a suitable, low voltage, immersion heater in the existing hot tank. At around £1k for 200W, with no regulation or fancy control needed, you're talking about a payback time of less than 10 years (less if you could only get a cheaper source of PV panels), it would sound to me to be very DIY manageable. Can anyone think of any serious snags? I can't think that a 200W heater would ever produce an embarrassing amount of hot water- and it could always be turned off! PVs don't freeze and a few metres of thick cable would be very easy to run. It seems so obvious?

Engineering news on Phys.org
sophiecentaur said:
I keep thinking of doing something with Solar Power. (Southern UK)
The easiest, conceptually would be very basic homemade thermal panels but then there's the problem of how to use the hot (warm) water. That involves plumbing and a special hot tank.
Once you've gone for that, you may as well spend more and get the high performance 'tubes' and it gets really expensive - even when you shop around.

If you go for the PV solution, then people think in terms of going the whole hog, getting connected to the Grid and selling what you don't use. This seems to be flavour of the month and there are many very sexy looking packages, which are being sold quite hard - so someone's making a lot of money out of them.

I was thinking about a much simpler (hi tech / lo tech) system, involving PVs on the roof, no fancy plumbing; just a suitable, low voltage, immersion heater in the existing hot tank. At around £1k for 200W, with no regulation or fancy control needed, you're talking about a payback time of less than 10 years (less if you could only get a cheaper source of PV panels), it would sound to me to be very DIY manageable. Can anyone think of any serious snags? I can't think that a 200W heater would ever produce an embarrassing amount of hot water- and it could always be turned off! PVs don't freeze and a few metres of thick cable would be very easy to run. It seems so obvious?

Sophicentaur,what are PVs?
I googled and and amongst other things the following came up:
performance vauxhall show
persistent vegetative state
pig veterinary society
I doubt if it's any of the above.:-p

Sorry I found it.I should have googled PV cells(photovoltaic)

Last edited:
I think the first thing needed is for you to do some research and do your sums.
What is the cost per square metre of cell.
How efficient are the cells and what is the average expected power output.
What are the installation costs etc.

Dadface said:
I think the first thing needed is for you to do some research and do your sums.
What is the cost per square metre of cell.
How efficient are the cells and what is the average expected power output.
What are the installation costs etc.

Exactly.
Installation is about as cheap as it could be. As I said "a few metres of heavy cable". Fitting an extra heating element could involve removing the tank and putting in a suitable flange (soft solder is easy peasy).

Efficiency is not 'really' relevant as I would be getting 200W (don't care about the area, particularly) or less, depending on the angle of the Sun etc. My 10 year payback time is accurate enough assuming the prices I have seen so far.

So, I've really done all you say and I'm interested in any personal experience or exta input.

Related to Is Using PV Cells for Water Heating a Cost-Effective Solution in Southern UK?

What are PV cells and how do they work?

PV cells, also known as photovoltaic cells, are devices that convert sunlight into electricity. They are made of semiconductor materials, such as silicon, that absorb photons from the sun and release electrons, creating an electric current.

Can PV cells be used for water heating?

Yes, PV cells can be used for water heating. They can be connected to a heating element, such as a coil or a heating rod, and the electricity generated by the PV cells can be used to heat water directly.

How efficient are PV cells for water heating?

The efficiency of PV cells for water heating varies depending on factors such as the type and quality of the PV cells, the amount of sunlight they receive, and the design of the water heating system. On average, PV cells have an efficiency of around 15-20% for converting sunlight into electricity.

What are the benefits of using PV cells for water heating?

Using PV cells for water heating has several benefits. It is a renewable and sustainable energy source, reducing the dependence on fossil fuels. It also has lower maintenance costs compared to traditional water heating systems, and can potentially save on energy costs in the long run.

Are there any limitations to using PV cells for water heating?

One limitation of using PV cells for water heating is that it relies on sunlight, meaning it may not be as effective in areas with low sunlight or during cloudy days. Additionally, the initial cost of purchasing and installing PV cells can be higher compared to traditional water heating systems, although this cost can be offset over time by energy savings.