Is time linear or cyclic in a flat, zero energy universe?

In summary: The x-axis has no beginning or end and in a flat universe is not cyclic. There is a persistent minority view in physics that allows for two-way travel in the time dimension. It has gained strength lately because it is the easiest explanation for the EPR paradox and Bell's theorem. In our world the "arrow of time" results from entropy, which is a statistical property of larger systems. In summary, the flatness of the universe and the lack of energy means that time would be cyclic in nature, not linear. However, this is only true in our world and there is a minority view in physics that suggests time can also be linear.
hiddenvariabl
I'm writing a paper for a philosophy elective on the Cosmological argument. One of my counter arguments is that a causal loop (treated as a paradox in the Cosmological argument in favor of a creator) is not a paradox if time is cyclic in nature rather than linear. I treat the fact that the universe is flat with zero energy as a given but something is a little unclear to me. In a flat (and accelerating?) universe, would time be cyclic, linear, or could it be either one? I am personally more inclined to think that time has no beginning or end (cyclic) and is just another dimension and that it's apparent flow is really an illusion.

Am I on the right track here?

Space news on Phys.org
hiddenvariabl said:
I'm writing a paper for a philosophy elective on the Cosmological argument. One of my counter arguments is that a causal loop (treated as a paradox in the Cosmological argument in favor of a creator) is not a paradox if time is cyclic in nature rather than linear. I treat the fact that the universe is flat with zero energy as a given but something is a little unclear to me. In a flat (and accelerating?) universe, would time be cyclic, linear, or could it be either one? I am personally more inclined to think that time has no beginning or end (cyclic) and is just another dimension and that it's apparent flow is really an illusion.

Am I on the right track here?

The x-axis has no beginning or end and in a flat universe is not cyclic.

There is a persistent minority view in physics that allows for two-way travel in the time dimension. It has gained strength lately because it is the easiest explanation for the EPR paradox and Bell's theorem. In our world the "arrow of time" results from entropy, which is a statistical property of larger systems.

I know that Kurt Goedel came up with solutions for Einstein's field equations in which time was cyclic. Unfortunately for the theory it predicts that the universe is rotating, and measurements show that if there is such a rotation then it is very small. You might want to look up "Godel Universe."

How would you be able to experimentally falsify or corroborate the idea of time "looping around?"

PatrickPowers said:
The x-axis has no beginning or end and in a flat universe is not cyclic.

There is a persistent minority view in physics that allows for two-way travel in the time dimension. It has gained strength lately because it is the easiest explanation for the EPR paradox and Bell's theorem. In our world the "arrow of time" results from entropy, which is a statistical property of larger systems.

OK, so time isn't cyclic but it doesn't have a beginning or end? I wasn't really thinking of a causal loop in terms of time travel per se. Rather in my argument I'm basically trying to establish a eternalism, wherein time and space are treated as a four dimensional "block" (like J.M.E. McTaggart's B-Theory or the alien race in Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five). In such a case wouldn't the Cosmological argument break down since time would be wrapped up within the universe, therefore saying that a creator was there to initiate the Big Bang "before" would be saying that there was time or space before the Big Bang?

The cosmological argument is as follows:

Every finite and contingent being has a cause.
A causal loop cannot exist.
A causal chain cannot be of infinite length.
Therefore, a First Cause (or something that is not an effect) must exist.

While many argue that the First Cause is God I would argue that the First Cause is the Big Bang since saying "God did it" is a cop-out and a contradictory one at that since it says that the Big Bang requires a God to cause it but God does not require it's own cause. If God can just come into existence on it's own then why can't the Big Bang come into existence on its own?

(I realize I probably should have started this thread in the Philosophy section but oh well)

I cannot provide a definitive answer on matters of philosophy or theology. However, I can offer some scientific perspective on the concept of time in a flat, zero energy universe.

First of all, the idea of a flat, zero energy universe is a theoretical concept and has not been definitively proven or disproven by scientific evidence. It is a possibility based on certain cosmological models, but there are also other models that suggest the universe may have a slight curvature or non-zero energy.

In terms of time, the concept of linearity or cyclicity is also theoretical and has not been definitively proven or disproven. The idea of time being cyclical is based on the concept of a closed universe, where the expansion of the universe eventually slows down and reverses, leading to a "big crunch" and a new cycle of expansion. However, there are also other models that suggest the universe will continue to expand indefinitely, leading to a linear concept of time.

One important thing to note is that the concept of time is relative and can be perceived differently depending on the observer's frame of reference. This is a key principle in Einstein's theory of relativity. So, it is possible that time may appear linear to some observers and cyclical to others, depending on their position and motion within the universe.

In terms of the concept of a causal loop, it is important to note that this is a theoretical concept and has not been definitively proven or disproven. It is also worth considering that even in a cyclical universe, there may still be a beginning and end to each cycle, just as there is a beginning and end to each day in our perception of time.

In conclusion, there is no definitive answer to whether time is linear or cyclic in a flat, zero energy universe. It is a complex and theoretical concept that is still being studied and debated by scientists and philosophers. I believe it is important to remain open-minded and continue to explore and question our understanding of time and the universe.

Related to Is time linear or cyclic in a flat, zero energy universe?

1. Is time linear or cyclic in a flat, zero energy universe?

The concept of time in a flat, zero energy universe is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that time is cyclical, meaning that it repeats in a continuous loop, while others propose that it is linear and moves forward in a straight line.

2. How do we determine if time is linear or cyclic in a flat, zero energy universe?

Scientists use various methods, such as observations and mathematical models, to study the nature of time in a flat, zero energy universe. However, the current lack of complete understanding of the universe makes it difficult to definitively determine if time is linear or cyclic.

3. What evidence supports the idea of a linear time in a flat, zero energy universe?

One argument for linear time is the concept of causality, which suggests that events occur in a specific sequence and cannot be reversed. This idea is supported by the laws of thermodynamics, which state that entropy, or disorder, always increases in a closed system.

4. How does the concept of a flat, zero energy universe influence the nature of time?

A flat, zero energy universe is one in which the total energy is balanced and there is no curvature, making it infinite and unchanging. In such a universe, time may be seen as an illusion or simply a human construct rather than a physical dimension.

5. Are there any potential implications or consequences of a linear or cyclic time in a flat, zero energy universe?

If time is indeed linear in a flat, zero energy universe, it could have implications for the concept of free will and the idea of a predetermined future. On the other hand, a cyclic time could suggest the possibility of events repeating themselves and the potential for time travel. However, these are still theoretical and require further research and evidence to fully understand the implications of time in a flat, zero energy universe.