Is Thomas Campbell's Education and Work Experience Valid?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the credibility and employment history of Thomas Campbell, author of "My Big TOE". The speaker is writing a paper on the limitations of the standard scientific method and wishes to reference Campbell's work, but is unable to find any information verifying his claimed credentials and work history. They discuss the possibility of contacting the institution for confirmation, but also express skepticism about Campbell's claims and background in science. The conversation also touches on the idea of consciousness and its relationship with the brain, with one speaker mentioning the influence of Campbell's work on their perspective. Overall, there is doubt surrounding the authenticity of Campbell's credentials and the validity of his claims.
Bohringman
The credentials and employment history of Thomas Campbell, author of "My Big TOE".

Hello guys. I am currently embroiled in writing a paper on the limitations of the standard scientific method and wish to reference Thomas Campbell's work in said paper. On his website, and during interviews and speaking engagements, he claims to have graduated from Bethany college with a degree in physics and then to have worked as a consultant for NASA. The only problem is that I cannot find any information regarding the veracity of the above aforementioned credentials and work history. If anyone is familiar with him, or be able to point me in the right direction of where to look for said credentials and work history, I would be very thankful. Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Science news on Phys.org

Aside from affiliations with known cranks like Dean Radin, and other woowoo, I can't find anything about him.

Well, there certainly must be a way of ascertaining whether someone graduated from an institution, no? It is just so easy these days to have a fake diploma, or even no diploma and pass yourself off as an expert in some field without having any actual knowledge on the subject. It is worrisome to me.

Bohringman said:
Well, there certainly must be a way of ascertaining whether someone graduated from an institution, no?

Sure. Email the institution's admin office and ask them. It will help if you konw the year when the alleged graduation took place.

I have, and am currently waiting for a reply. The year of graduation is listed as 1966. Though, are there not privacy laws that would bar them from releasing information on alumni, either current or past?

Well, he's not listed as a "notable alumni" and one "notable alumni" they do list is an unheard of sportswriter that didn't even graduate.

Yes, apparently an unknown sportscaster is more important than someone who works for NASA. Lol. The man must be a charlatan. The sort of bravery it would take to claim that you went to a specific school, and then to have worked for the agency who put men into orbit...amazing. I am not being sarcastic. I am really astounded at people. The nerve of that man to pass himself off as a scientist when he most likely is not. I am very frustrated right now. Arg.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, we don't know anything about him at this point. I could see him not being mentioned as a "notable alumni" due to his "work" being what it is, non-scientific woowoo. Doesn't mean he didn't get an undergraduate degree in physics, that's nothing unique.

Bohringman said:
Yes, apparently an unknown sportscaster is more important than someone who works for NASA. Lol. The man must be a charlatan. The sort of bravery it would take to claim that you went to a specific school, and then to have worked for the agency who put men into orbit...amazing. I am not being sarcastic. I am really astounded at people. The nerve of that man to pass himself off as a scientist when he most likely is not. I am very frustrated right now. Arg.

Some years ago there was a politician in my state who claimed a doctorate from Heidelberg University. Turns out he never left the US or attended a single year of college.

Also, he makes no claims as to what his jobs were. NASA employs janitors too. A lot of people allow others to read more into their claims than is there. I also read that he didn't even actually work for NASA but for a "consultant". Just because you worked at the Whitehouse doesn't mean anything. Maybe you emptied the ashtrays. This is a common ploy by people that might have worked somewhere notable for a few days in a lowly job that want it to sound like they did more than they did. It's when the person fails to state what their position was and how long they held it that my spidey senses go up. There is no reference I can find as to his actual work. What exactly are you writing about?

Bohringman said:
Though, are there not privacy laws that would bar them from releasing information on alumni, either current or past?

If he claims to have an educational qualification (e.g. a degree) from the college, that information is in the publis donain. For example if he claimed that in his CV for a job application, it is certainly legal to check if it's true or not.

You raise good points. My sentiments are in line with yours. His entire background in "Science" seems questionable.

My friend and I are writing papers for each other, to try and clearly state our points of view in regards to reality. He is very materialistic, e.g. he believes that the brain creates consciousness. I think that consciousness is a non-physical thing that interacts with the brain, but is not created by neuronal activity. I recently found works by Thomas Campbell, and thought that I had hit the jackpot, but then searched for verification of his credentials and could find none.

PAllen said:
Some years ago there was a politician in my state who claimed a doctorate from Heidelberg University. Turns out he never left the US or attended a single year of college.

Maybe it was "Idle bu**** university", but he was trying to fake a posh "haccent" :biggrin:

Related to Is Thomas Campbell's Education and Work Experience Valid?

1. Who is Thomas Campbell?

Thomas Campbell is a physicist, consciousness researcher, and the author of My Big TOE (Theory of Everything), a three-volume work that explains the nature of reality and consciousness.

2. What are Thomas Campbell's credentials?

Thomas Campbell has a Bachelor of Science degree in physics from the University of Maryland and a Master of Science degree in physics from Purdue University. He also has over 30 years of experience working as a scientist and physicist for organizations such as NASA and the US Department of Defense.

3. What is My Big TOE about?

My Big TOE is a theory that explains the fundamental nature of reality and consciousness. It is based on the idea that the universe is a digital information system and that consciousness is the fundamental building block of reality.

4. Has Thomas Campbell's work been scientifically validated?

While Thomas Campbell's work has not been widely accepted by the scientific community, he has received positive reviews and endorsements from physicists and consciousness researchers. His theories are also consistent with some current scientific research on the nature of reality and consciousness.

5. What is Thomas Campbell's employment history?

Thomas Campbell has worked as a physicist and scientist for over 30 years, primarily in the field of space exploration and defense. He has worked for organizations such as NASA, the US Department of Defense, and the National Institute for Standards and Technology. He is currently retired and focuses on his research and writing.