Distance traveled by a knot in a string ungergoing wave motion.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 4 Hz wave with amplitude 12 cm and a wavelength 30.0 cm on a stretched string. The first question asks for the distance the wave travels in 5 seconds, which is found using the equation v=λf. The second question asks for the distance a knot on the string travels in the same amount of time, and the conversation suggests thinking of it as a pure transverse wave with simple harmonic motion.
new324
Once again, I've become stuck on the easiest problem in the chapter (though I'm steamrolling the tougher ones). I just can't get the concept of this one down I guess. Thanks for any help.

A 4 Hz wave with amplitude 12 cm and a wavelength 30.0 cm travels along a stretched string. (a) how far does the wave travel in 5 seconds and (b) how far does a knot on a string travel in the same amount of time.

Well (a) is pretty cut and paste. Using v=λf we find v=1.2 m/s. 5*v= 6 m. I'm not sure how to go about calculating the distance the knot travels. I'm not sure if I should think about it as as a circular motion (like a cork in a water wave) or if its just a simple harmonic motion (up and down over and over) or what. Any hints to get me started? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
new324 said:
I'm not sure how to go about calculating the distance the knot travels. I'm not sure if I should think about it as as a circular motion (like a cork in a water wave) or if its just a simple harmonic motion (up and down over and over) or what.
Water waves are a combination of transverse and longitudinal motion. This wave on a string is not as complicated--it's a pure transverse wave. You are on the right track thinking of simple harmonic motion.

Great, thanks Doc Al!

What is a knot in a string undergoing wave motion?

A knot in a string undergoing wave motion refers to a point on a string where the string appears to be stationary while the rest of the string is moving up and down.

What factors affect the distance traveled by a knot in a string undergoing wave motion?

The distance traveled by a knot in a string undergoing wave motion is affected by the frequency and amplitude of the wave, the tension of the string, and the density of the medium the string is moving through.

How is the distance traveled by a knot in a string undergoing wave motion related to the wavelength?

The distance traveled by a knot in a string undergoing wave motion is equal to one wavelength. This means that the knot will complete one full cycle of motion as the wave travels one wavelength along the string.

Can the distance traveled by a knot in a string undergoing wave motion be changed?

Yes, the distance traveled by a knot in a string undergoing wave motion can be changed by altering the frequency, amplitude, tension, or density of the string. For example, increasing the frequency of the wave will decrease the distance traveled by the knot.

Is the distance traveled by a knot in a string undergoing wave motion always the same?

No, the distance traveled by a knot in a string undergoing wave motion can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. It can also change if the properties of the string or medium change, such as if the string is stretched or the medium becomes more dense.