Is this submanifold of [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] ?

• Thread starter Karamata
  • Start date
In summary, to prove that the given curve is a submanifold of \mathbb{R}^3, we need to show that the differential of the mapping f is non-zero for all t \in \mathbb{R}, which can be done by checking that df_t \neq (0,0,0) for all t \in \mathbb{R}.
Karamata
How to deduce is it [itex]\{\cos(\sqrt{2}t)(2+\cos t), \sin(\sqrt{2}t)(2+\cos t),\sin t \mid t \in \mathbb{R}\}[/itex] submanifold of [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex]?

First, this is curve, so I was thinking to find point in which this curve has two intersect, and then some neighborhood of that point isn't homeomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], and that would be reason why this isn't submanifold, but I failed to prove it on that way.

Maybe it is submanifold, I don't know.

I know that if [itex]f: U \to V, U \subset \mathbb{R}^n, V \subset \mathbb{R}^m, n < m[/itex] is differentiable mapping two manifolds, with rank [itex]n[/itex], then we can prove that [itex]f(U)[/itex] is submanifold of [itex]V[/itex].

In our case, [itex]U=\mathbb{R}, V=\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] and [itex]1<3[/itex]. And, let [itex]f(t)=(\cos(\sqrt{2}t)(2+\cos t), \sin(\sqrt{2}t)(2+\cos t),\sin t)[/itex].

Then [itex]df_t=(-\sin t\cos(\sqrt{2}t)+\sqrt{2}\sin(\sqrt{2}t) (2+\cos t),\sqrt{2} \cos(\sqrt{2}t) (2+\cos t)-\sin(\sqrt{2}t) \sin t,\cos t)[/itex].

So if I prove that [itex]df_t \neq (0,0,0)[/itex] for every [itex]t \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] (if we suppose that [itex]df_t = (0,0,0)[/itex] for some [itex]t \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], then [itex]t \in \{\pi/2, 3\pi/2\}[/itex], because of [itex]\cos t = 0[/itex], but then first and second coordinate are different then [itex]0[/itex]) then [itex]\operatorname{rank}(f)_t=1[/itex], so I proved that this is submanifold, right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, your approach is correct. To prove that this curve is a submanifold of \mathbb{R}^3, we need to show that the differential of the mapping f is non-zero for all t \in \mathbb{R}. As you have correctly shown, if df_t = (0,0,0) for some t \in \mathbb{R}, then t must be either \pi/2 or 3\pi/2. However, at these points, the first and second coordinates of df_t are non-zero, so df_t cannot be equal to (0,0,0). Therefore, the rank of f is always 1, and f(\mathbb{R}) is a submanifold of \mathbb{R}^3.

Related to Is this submanifold of [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] ?

1. What is a submanifold of [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex]?

A submanifold of [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] is a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] that locally looks like a lower-dimensional space. In other words, if you zoom in on a small portion of the submanifold, it will appear to be a flat or curved surface rather than a three-dimensional space.

2. How is a submanifold different from a manifold?

A manifold is a topological space that is locally Euclidean, meaning it looks like [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] for some n at every point. A submanifold is a subset of a manifold that also satisfies this property, but may have a lower dimension. Essentially, a submanifold is a smaller space contained within a larger space that retains the properties of a manifold.

3. What are the types of submanifolds that can exist in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex]?

There are several types of submanifolds that can exist in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex], including curves, surfaces, and hypersurfaces. A curve is a one-dimensional submanifold, a surface is a two-dimensional submanifold, and a hypersurface is a submanifold of dimension three or higher.

4. How can I determine if a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] is a submanifold?

To determine if a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] is a submanifold, you can use the definition of a submanifold and check if it locally looks like a lower-dimensional space. Additionally, you can use the regular value theorem to determine if a subset is a submanifold of [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] by checking if the set of points where the derivative of a function is zero forms a submanifold.

5. What are some real-world applications of submanifolds in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex]?

Submanifolds have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, in physics, submanifolds are used to model the motion of particles and study the behavior of physical systems. In engineering, submanifolds are used in optimization problems to find the best solutions for complex systems. In computer graphics, submanifolds are used to create smooth and realistic surfaces in 3D models and animations.