Is This Story About Being Allergic to Modern Technology a Lie?

• Thread starter tahayassen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Technology
In summary: Googling, I found this:An extensive literature search identified 15 new experiments. Including studies reported in our earlier review, 46 blind or double-blind provocation studies in all, involving 1175 IEI-EMF volunteers, have tested whether exposure to electromagnetic fields is responsible for triggering symptoms in IEI-EMF. No robust evidence could be found to support this theory. However, the studies included in the review did support the role of the nocebo effect in triggering acute symptoms in IEI-EMF sufferers.
tahayassen
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-443717/Im-allergic-modern-living.html

It sounded pretty believable to me until I read this:

"We have a plasma screen TV because the old style one gave out gamma rays, which brought on my reaction."

Is the story a lie?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
There are tonnes of stories like this out there, the phenomenon is known as electromagnetic hypersensitivity but there is no evidence that it is real. In fact there's plenty of reasons to think that it isn't, like how participants in tests respond to placebos and not to hidden sources of EM radiation. There's also no mechanism in biology that could account for this.

Having said that it clearly is a relatively common condition and it's interesting to note that so many people across the world exhibit the same psychosomatic response. It's possibly related to mass hysteria but I don't know of anything showing that.

Until a valid study shows there is evidence, which there is not currently, it's just a story.

Darn, Ryan beat me to it, and did a better job! :biggrin:

Evo said:
Until a valid study shows there is evidence, which there is not currently, it's just a story.
It's so annoying that so much is known about this and we know that there's not a shred of evidence for it yet it still does the rounds in print and on the blogosphere. It's pure churnalism.
Evo said:
Darn, Ryan beat me to it, and did a better job! :biggrin:
:shy:

Googling, I found this:

An extensive literature search identified 15 new experiments. Including studies reported in our earlier review, 46 blind or double-blind provocation studies in all, involving 1175 IEI-EMF volunteers, have tested whether exposure to electromagnetic fields is responsible for triggering symptoms in IEI-EMF. No robust evidence could be found to support this theory. However, the studies included in the review did support the role of the nocebo effect in triggering acute symptoms in IEI-EMF sufferers.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19681059

At this point there's every reason to believe it's completely psychosomatic.

tahayassen said:
"We have a plasma screen TV because the old style one gave out gamma rays, which brought on my reaction."

Hypersensitivity to Gamma rays?!

Hulk01.jpg

tahayassen said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-443717/Im-allergic-modern-living.html

It sounded pretty believable to me until I read this:

Is the story a lie?

I get a profoundly negative reaction to TV, too. But it's not the "gamma rays" causing it -- it's the content .

Last edited by a moderator:
Its right up there with cellular phones causing brain cancer, IMO.

There might be some evidence for it, but nothing significant.

Related to Is This Story About Being Allergic to Modern Technology a Lie?

1. What does it mean to be allergic to technology?

Being allergic to technology, also known as Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity (EHS), is a condition in which a person experiences adverse symptoms when exposed to electromagnetic fields (EMFs) emitted by electronic devices. These symptoms can range from mild discomfort to severe reactions.

2. What are the symptoms of being allergic to technology?

The symptoms of being allergic to technology can vary from person to person, but commonly include headaches, fatigue, dizziness, skin irritation, and difficulty concentrating. These symptoms may worsen with prolonged exposure to EMFs and can also be triggered by specific electronic devices.

3. Is being allergic to technology a real medical condition?

While some people may dismiss EHS as a psychological condition, there is growing evidence that it is a real medical condition. In fact, the World Health Organization (WHO) recognizes EHS as a legitimate health problem and has classified it as a functional impairment.

4. Can being allergic to technology be treated?

Unfortunately, there is no known cure for EHS. However, some people have found relief by avoiding exposure to EMFs and using protective measures, such as shielding materials or EMF-reducing devices. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the best course of action for managing EHS symptoms.

5. Is there a way to prevent becoming allergic to technology?

Currently, there is no known way to prevent becoming allergic to technology. However, limiting exposure to EMFs and using protective measures, such as keeping electronic devices at a safe distance and minimizing their use, may help reduce the risk of developing EHS symptoms.