Is This Solution to the Linear Programming Problem Correct?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a linear programming problem with given constraints and finding the maximum value. The solution provided is $\left(0, \frac{6}{5}, \frac{36}{5},0, \frac{99}{5} \right)$ and the question is whether it is correct. The suggestion to solve the problem graphically is mentioned.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to solve the linear programming problem:
$\max (5x_1-4x_2) \\ -x_1+x_2 \geq -6 \\ 3x_1-2x_2 \leq 24 \\ -2x_1+3x_2 \leq 9 \\ x_1, x_2 \geq 0$

I have found that the solution is $\left(0, \frac{6}{5}, \frac{36}{5},0, \frac{99}{5} \right)$.. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

$\max (5x_1-4x_2) \\ -x_1+x_2 \geq -6 \\ 3x_1-2x_2 \leq 24 \\ -2x_1+3x_2 \leq 9 \\ x_1, x_2 \geq 0$

I have found that the solution is $\left(0, \frac{6}{5}, \frac{36}{5},0, \frac{99}{5} \right)$.. Am I right?

Hey evinda! (Smile)

I'm getting $x_1=12,\ x_2=6,\ \max=36$. (Worried)

evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

As there are only two variables you could solve this graphically. Have you tried this?

Related to Is This Solution to the Linear Programming Problem Correct?

What is a linear programming problem?

A linear programming problem is a mathematical optimization technique used to find the best possible solution to a problem, given a set of constraints and a linear objective function.

What are the main components of a linear programming problem?

The main components of a linear programming problem are the decision variables, the objective function, and the constraints. Decision variables represent the quantities that need to be determined, the objective function defines the goal or objective of the problem, and the constraints limit the values that the decision variables can take.

What is the difference between a maximization and minimization problem in linear programming?

In a maximization problem, the objective function is to be maximized, meaning the goal is to find the largest possible value. In a minimization problem, the objective function is to be minimized, meaning the goal is to find the smallest possible value.

How is a linear programming problem solved?

A linear programming problem is typically solved using computer software, such as Excel or MATLAB, that utilizes algorithms to find the optimal solution. The simplex method is a common algorithm used for solving linear programming problems.

What are some real-world applications of linear programming?

Linear programming is used in a variety of industries, including finance, manufacturing, transportation, and agriculture. Some real-world applications include optimizing production schedules, resource allocation, and portfolio management.