Is this Sketch Correct? Object Drawing Evaluation and Solution Attempt

• Thread starter annalian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    sketch
In summary, the conversation is about a drawing for an object with a 13 mm diameter hole. The length of the hole is questioned and it is clarified that it is a passthrough hole that goes all the way down. There is a discussion about the thickness of the metal and whether or not there should be an additional solid line in the end view. The need for more hidden lines to fully describe the object is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a correction to the drawing, including an interrupted line for the scallop.
Physics news on Phys.org
In the right hand side view, what is the length of the 13 mm diam hole ?

BvU said:
It is a passthrough hole, goes all the way down

20161129_162609.jpg

20161129_162624.jpg

BvU said:

(a) Same question asked another way - what is thickness of metal it is in ?

(b) Should end view have one more solid line shown ?

Nidum said:
(a) Same question asked another way - what is thickness of metal it is in ?

(b) Should end view have one more solid line shown ?
The thickness is 12. Which is the end view? The horizontal view (the lower one?) Which is this solid line?

(c) Are more hidden lines or another view needed to completely describe the object ?

Nidum said:
(c) Are more hidden lines or another view needed to completely describe the object ?
The book has just given the first image.

annalian said:
The thickness is 12. Which is the end view?

Top right hand view in your drawing - the square looking one .

Likes annalian
Nidum said:
Top right hand view in your drawing - the square looking one .
Yes, the horizontal one. I corrected it. Is there any other thing wrong?

Optionally you could put some more hidden lines on the views to show the half round scallop . It is a judgement call as to how many hidden lines to show on a drawing - sometimes they add clarity and sometimes they are just needless clutter . I'll leave that one to you .

Nidum said:
Optionally you could put some more hidden lines on the views to show the half round scallop . It is a judgement call as to how many hidden lines to show on a drawing - sometimes they add clarity and sometimes they are just needless clutter . I'll leave that one to you .
What hidden line could I add for example (I want's sure for that either)

annalian said:
It is a passthrough hole, goes all the way down
annalian said:
The thickness is 12.
So is the hole 35 mm long as your drawing top right suggests, or is it 12 mm long as in your drawing top left and in the book drawing ?​

BvU said:
So is the hole 35 mm long as your drawing top right suggests, or is it 12 mm long as in your drawing top left and in the book drawing ?​
I corrected it. I put the interrupted line till the first solid line and I thought to put an interrupted line for the scallop.

Related to Is this Sketch Correct? Object Drawing Evaluation and Solution Attempt

1. Is object drawing evaluation necessary for every sketch?

Yes, object drawing evaluation is an important step in the drawing process. It allows you to assess the accuracy and proportions of your sketch, and make necessary corrections in order to achieve a more realistic and accurate representation of the object.

2. How can I tell if my sketch is correct?

There are a few key aspects to look for when evaluating the correctness of your sketch. These include proportions, angles, and overall accuracy in comparison to the object you are drawing. It can also be helpful to step back and view your sketch from a distance, as this can give you a better sense of the overall composition.

3. What are some common mistakes to look out for in object drawing?

Some common mistakes in object drawing include incorrect proportions, skewed angles, and missing details or features. It is also important to pay attention to the overall shape and form of the object, as well as any shadows and highlights that may be present.

4. How can I improve my object drawing skills?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your object drawing skills. It can also be helpful to study and observe real life objects or reference images, and to break down the drawing process into smaller, more manageable steps. Seeking feedback from other artists or joining a drawing group can also aid in improvement.

5. What should I do if my sketch is not correct?

If your sketch is not correct, do not be discouraged. Instead, try making adjustments and corrections based on your evaluation. This can involve erasing and redrawing certain areas, or adding in missing details. Remember that drawing is a process and it takes time and practice to improve.