Is this semester coursework too much?

In summary: Yes, Semi-Conductor Dev, and EM waves are UG, but solid state electronics and Systems and Signals are strictly graduate level. Thanks :)
fmpak93
I recently got into graduate school for electrical engineering to study solid state electronics. I did my bachelors in Physics and will be graduating this May and start grad school in the Fall 2015. Here is my current cours schedule:

Fall 2015
- Intro to Solid State Electronics (3 cred.)
- Electromagnetic Waves and Radiation (3 cred.)
- Semiconductor Devices I (3 cred.)
- System Analysis (Linear Systems and Signals) (3 cred.)

Is this too much? the first three are required courses for my concentration, solid state electronics. Thing is I have a strong understanding of EM waves and solid state due to a decent background on Optics and Quantum Mechanics, so will it be too ambitious to throw an extra course in there? Because usually for grad school even 3 courses can be difficult per semester.

Physics news on Phys.org
no, i would say 12 credits is fine.

donpacino said:
no, i would say 12 credits is fine.

Is this true for grad school also? I've heard you don't want to take too many classes since your expected to do research and TA also(plus grad classes are extremely time consuming compared to undergrad). I've heard 4 classes is pushing the upper limit and 3 is more average.

Depends on your workload as a TA or RA. When I started grad school in physics (U of Michigan) nearly 40 years ago, the typical first-year grad student was a "half-time" TA. Each semester, I took two courses and taught four introductory lab sections.

Loststudent22 said:
Is this true for grad school also? I've heard you don't want to take too many classes since your expected to do research and TA also(plus grad classes are extremely time consuming compared to undergrad). I've heard 4 classes is pushing the upper limit and 3 is more average.
typpically you need 30 credits to get a masters degree. That's 30 credits. at 3 classes per semester it will take you a little over three semesters.
Most people finish their MS in a year (2 semesters)...

donpacino said:
typpically you need 30 credits to get a masters degree. That's 30 credits. at 3 classes per semester it will take you a little over three semesters.
Most people finish their MS in a year (2 semesters)...

In a year? wouldn't that mean taking 3-4 courses + research every sem?

jtbell said:
Depends on your workload as a TA or RA. When I started grad school in physics (U of Michigan) nearly 40 years ago, the typical first-year grad student was a "half-time" TA. Each semester, I took two courses and taught four introductory lab sections.

I see, so it probably toook minimum 2 years to complete the masters then?

I guess it depends on the school but at my current institution, even three grad classes is a ton of work.

fmpak93 said:
I see, so it probably toook minimum 2 years to complete the masters then?

Right, it took me two years to get enough credits for a master's. I was there for a Ph.D. anyway, so picking up the M.S. wasn't a major event. Some of my classmates didn't bother.

fmpak93 said:
In a year? wouldn't that mean taking 3-4 courses + research every sem?
you usually get credit for research...

Are those undergraduate courses being taken for foundation material or graduate courses?

If they're UG and you have a light work schedule (like a job you work) then you'll be perfectly fine. That's a very typical schedule for a junior/senior EE UG student.

snowman_ said:
Are those undergraduate courses being taken for foundation material or graduate courses?

If they're UG and you have a light work schedule (like a job you work) then you'll be perfectly fine. That's a very typical schedule for a junior/senior EE UG student.

Yes, Semi-Conductor Dev, and EM waves are UG, but solid state electronics and Systems and Signals are strictly graduate level. Thanks :)

Related to Is this semester coursework too much?

1. Is the workload for this semester too much?

The answer to this question will vary depending on individual circumstances. However, it is important to carefully consider your course load and prioritize your responsibilities. If you feel overwhelmed, it may be necessary to speak with your professors or academic advisor to discuss potential solutions.

2. How can I manage my time effectively with a heavy course load?

One helpful strategy is to create a schedule or to-do list to keep track of assignments and due dates. It is also important to prioritize tasks and to avoid procrastination. Additionally, taking breaks and practicing self-care can help you maintain a healthy balance between school and other responsibilities.

3. What resources are available to help me with my coursework?

Most universities offer academic support services such as tutoring, writing centers, and study groups. Taking advantage of these resources can help you better understand course material and improve your grades. You can also reach out to your professors or teaching assistants for additional support.

4. How can I make sure I am not falling behind in my coursework?

Regularly checking in with your professors and staying organized can help you stay on track. It is also important to actively participate in class and ask for help when needed. If you feel like you are struggling, do not hesitate to reach out to your professors or academic advisor for guidance.

5. What should I do if I am feeling overwhelmed with my coursework?

If you are feeling overwhelmed, it is important to address the issue as soon as possible. This may involve speaking with your professors or academic advisor about potential solutions, such as dropping a class or adjusting your course load. Remember to prioritize your mental health and well-being, and do not hesitate to seek support from friends, family, or mental health professionals if needed.