Is this right? Re: Finding expectation value of L_z

In summary, the conversation discusses a quantum problem involving the L_z operator and the confusion surrounding the use of complex conjugates in the wavefunction. The final answer is correct but inconsistent with the work shown, as there is a mistake in the multiplication of terms. The correct answer should be (1/3)h-bar and not (2/3)h-bar as stated. The conversation concludes with the clarification of the mistake and the correct application of the m_l term.
Geezer
Okay, so I'm now reviewing ladder operators (no, not homework).

While reviewing a quantum problem involving the L_z operator at this website (http://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node219.html#example:expectLz"), I found myself confused.

Okay, here's my question: don't we need to take the complex conjugate of the wavefunction for the bra? They have -i for both the bra and the ket...

Am I wrong? It's been a while since I took quantum, so it's possible I'm not recalling some stuff properly...

Thanks,
Geez

PS...Sorry, I don't know how to TeX (but feel free to teach me or show me some good resources to learn), so I don't know how else to show you what I'm talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, they do and you are right. However, the final answer is correct but inconsistent with the work shown. If you multiply things out (i.e. do the angular integrals) according to the second line, you should get 2/3+1/3 not 2/3-1/3 because (-i)*(+i) = +1 for the second term. It's an honest mistake that does not affect the bottom line.

But shouldn't the final answer, then, be 2/3 h-bar + 1/3 h-bar, which is just one unit of h-bar?

No, the final answer is (2/3 - 1/3) h-bar = (1/3)h-bar, as stated. They should have +i in the ket. Then this should become -i*hbar when operated on by Lz.

When terms are multiplied out, the second term becomes

(-i)(-i)(1/3)hbar = -(1/3)hbar​

And the +(1/3)hbar final answer makes sense, since in the original wavefunction there is probability (2/3) to measure Lz=+hbar, and probability (1/3) to measure -hbar. (So the expectation value is +(1/3)hbar.)

Okay. I see my error now. I had multiplied the "i's" correctly, but had neglected to apply the m_l, which is -1.

Thanks, everyone!

Related to Is this right? Re: Finding expectation value of L_z

1. What is the expectation value of L_z?

The expectation value of L_z is a measure of the average value of the z-component of angular momentum in a given quantum state. It is represented by the symbol ⟨L_z⟩ and is calculated by taking the inner product of the quantum state with the operator L_z.

2. How do you find the expectation value of L_z?

To find the expectation value of L_z, you need to first determine the quantum state and the operator L_z. Then, you can use the formula ⟨L_z⟩ = ⟨Ψ|L_z|Ψ⟩, where Ψ represents the quantum state. This involves taking the inner product of the quantum state with the operator L_z and then calculating the average value.

3. Why is the expectation value of L_z important?

The expectation value of L_z is important because it provides information about the average value of the z-component of angular momentum in a quantum system. This can be used to calculate other important quantities, such as the variance of L_z, and can help in predicting the behavior of the system.

4. Is the expectation value of L_z always a real number?

Yes, the expectation value of L_z is always a real number. This is because it is calculated using the inner product, which results in a complex conjugate for the quantum state. However, the complex conjugate is multiplied by the original quantum state, resulting in a real number for the expectation value.

5. Can the expectation value of L_z be negative?

Yes, the expectation value of L_z can be negative. This is because angular momentum can have both positive and negative values, depending on the direction of rotation. Therefore, the expectation value of L_z can also be negative, indicating a negative direction of rotation for the quantum system.