Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Is this power series a convergent series?

chamilka

Jul 3, 2012
Hi everyone!
I have got this series in a part of my research. I need to check if this is a convergent series and if so, what is the radius of the convergence?

Here is the series..
\[\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{i}{b-1\choose i}B(y+ac+ci,\,n-y+1)\]

Sorry if my LateX code is not visible( I am currently learning LaTeX as said in the Forum rules), see the attached image below!

gif2.gi.gif

Here, a,b and c are any three positive real numbers and y=0,1,2,....n

Thank you for your kind support!!

Last edited by a moderator:

daigo

Jun 27, 2012
Hi chamilka, just wrap the LaTeX code in [TEX] [/ TEX] tags like so:

[TEX]sum_{i=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{i}{b-1\choose i}B(y+ac+ci,\,n-y+1)[ /TEX]

(Just remove the space before the forward slash in the closing tex tag)

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012

Wrong!, on this site wrap the LaTeX with either \$ .. \$ or \$\$ .. \$\$ tags.

CB

chamilka

Jul 3, 2012

and

CB
Thank you daigo and CaptainBlack for your kind LateX teaching.. Special thanks to CaptainBlack who just edited my post..

daigo

Jun 27, 2012

CB
I've never done this before, I always used the [TEX] tags because I'm so used to it...but then how do you write dollar signs?

test i made $25 today and $30 yesterday test

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I've never done this before, I always used the [TEX] tags because I'm so used to it...but then how do you write dollar signs?
You escape them thus: $\$5,600$. Use a backslash before the dollar sign inside a math environment.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
You look at how I got the dollar signs to display in the text you quoted.

CB

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Hi everyone!
I have got this series in a part of my research. I need to check if this is a convergent series and if so, what is the radius of the convergence?

Here is the series..

Sorry if my LateX code is not visible( I am currently learning LaTeX as said in the Forum rules), see the attached image below!

View attachment 225

Here, a,b and c are any three positive real numbers and y=0,1,2,....n

Thank you for your kind support!!
Hi chamilka, :)

Firstly I think you should review what a power series is. The given series is not a power series and the radius of convergence is defined only for power series.

Using the method that we have used here, this series can be expressed as the following integral.

\begin{eqnarray}

\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{i}{b-1\choose i}B(y+ac+ci,\,n-y+1)&=&\int_{0}^{1}x^{y+ac-1}(1-x)^{n-y}(1-x^c)^{b-1}\,dx\\

&=&\int_{0}^{1}x^{y+ac-1}\left(\sum_{j=0}^{n-y}(-1)^{j}{n-y\choose j}x^{j}\right)(1-x^c)^{b-1}\,dx\\

&=&\sum_{j=0}^{n-y}\int_{0}^{1}x^{y+ac+j-1}(-1)^{j}{n-y\choose j}(1-x^c)^{b-1}\,dx\\

&=&\sum_{j=0}^{n-y}\int_{0}^{1}(-1)^{j}{n-y\choose j}(x^c)^{\left(\frac{y}{c}+a+\frac{j}{c}-\frac{1}{c}\right)}(1-x^c)^{b-1}\,dx\\

&=&\sum_{j=0}^{n-y}(-1)^{j}{n-y\choose j}\int_{0}^{1}(x^c)^{\left(\frac{y}{c}+a+\frac{j}{c}-\frac{1}{c}\right)}(1-x^c)^{b-1}\,dx\\

\end{eqnarray}

Let, \(\displaystyle x=z^{\frac{1}{c}}\Rightarrow dx=\frac{1}{c}z^{\frac{1}{c}-1}\,dz\)

\begin{eqnarray}

\therefore\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{i}{b-1\choose i}B(y+ac+ci,\,n-y+1)&=&\sum_{j=0}^{n-y}(-1)^{j}{n-y\choose j}\int_{0}^{1}z^{\left(\frac{y}{c}+a+\frac{j}{c}-\frac{1}{c}\right)}(1-z)^{b-1}\frac{1}{c}z^{\frac{1}{c}-1}\,dz\\

&=&\frac{1}{c}\sum_{j=0}^{n-y}(-1)^{j}{n-y\choose j}\int_{0}^{1}z^{\left(\frac{y}{c}+a+\frac{j}{c}-1\right)}(1-z)^{b-1}\,dz\\

&=&\frac{1}{c}\sum_{j=0}^{n-y}(-1)^{j}{n-y\choose j}B\left(\frac{y}{c}+a+\frac{j}{c},\,b\right)

\end{eqnarray}

\(\sum_{j=0}^{n-y}(-1)^{j}{n-y\choose j}B\left(\frac{y}{c}+a+\frac{j}{c},\,b\right)\) is a finite series since, \(n-y\in\mathbb{Z}^{+}\cup\{0\}\)

Therefore, \(\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{i}{b-1\choose i}B(y+ac+ci,\,n-y+1)\) can be written as a finite series and hence it is convergent.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

chamilka

Jul 3, 2012
Hi chamilka, :)

Firstly I think you should review what a power series is. The given series is not a power series and the radius of convergence is defined only for power series.
\(\sum_{j=0}^{n-y}(-1)^{j}{n-y\choose j}B\left(\frac{y}{c}+a+\frac{j}{c},\,b\right)\) is a finite series since, \(n-y\in\mathbb{Z}^{+}\cup\{0\}\)

Therefore, \(\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{i}{b-1\choose i}B(y+ac+ci,\,n-y+1)\) can be written as a finite series and hence it is convergent.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.
Thank you very much Sudharaka. I got some idea about the power series and radius of convergence from the wiki articles and from the way you explained that my infinite series is in deed a finite series I got answer to my question without troubling more about PS and RoC.
I honestly express my gratitude.. (Handshake)