Is this power series a convergent series?

In summary, the conversation is about a series given by \[\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{i}{b-1\choose i}B(y+ac+ci,\,n-y+1)\] and the question of whether it is a convergent series and what is the radius of convergence. The participants discuss different methods of solving the problem, including using LaTeX code and integral calculus. It is ultimately determined that the series is convergent and the radius of convergence can be found using the integral method. Special thanks is given to CaptainBlack for editing the original post and providing helpful tips.
chamilka
Hi everyone!
I have got this series in a part of my research. I need to check if this is a convergent series and if so, what is the radius of the convergence?

Here is the series..
\[\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{i}{b-1\choose i}B(y+ac+ci,\,n-y+1)\]

Sorry if my LateX code is not visible( I am currently learning LaTeX as said in the Forum rules), see the attached image below!

View attachment 225

Here, a,b and c are any three positive real numbers and y=0,1,2,...n

Thank you for your kind support!

Attachments

• gif2.gi.gif
    gif2.gi.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi chamilka, just wrap the LaTeX code in [TEX] [/ TEX] tags like so:

[TEX]sum_{i=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{i}{b-1\choose i}B(y+ac+ci,\,n-y+1)[ /TEX]

(Just remove the space before the forward slash in the closing tex tag)

daigo said:

Wrong!, on this site wrap the LaTeX with either \$ .. \$ or \$\$ .. \$\$ tags.

CB

daigo said:

and

CaptainBlack said:

CB

Thank you daigo and CaptainBlack for your kind LateX teaching.. Special thanks to CaptainBlack who just edited my post..

CaptainBlack said:

CB
I've never done this before, I always used the [TEX] tags because I'm so used to it...but then how do you write dollar signs?

test i made $25 today and $30 yesterday test

daigo said:
I've never done this before, I always used the [TEX] tags because I'm so used to it...but then how do you write dollar signs?

You escape them thus: $\$5,600$. Use a backslash before the dollar sign inside a math environment.

daigo said:

You look at how I got the dollar signs to display in the text you quoted.

CB

chamilka said:
Hi everyone!
I have got this series in a part of my research. I need to check if this is a convergent series and if so, what is the radius of the convergence?

Here is the series..

Sorry if my LateX code is not visible( I am currently learning LaTeX as said in the Forum rules), see the attached image below!

View attachment 225

Here, a,b and c are any three positive real numbers and y=0,1,2,...n

Thank you for your kind support!

Hi chamilka, :)

Firstly I think you should review what a power series is. The given series is not a power series and the radius of convergence is defined only for power series.

Using the method that we have used http://www.mathhelpboards.com/threads/1358-Chamilka-s-Question-from-Math-Help-Forum?p=6494#post6494, this series can be expressed as the following integral.

\begin{eqnarray}

\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{i}{b-1\choose i}B(y+ac+ci,\,n-y+1)&=&\int_{0}^{1}x^{y+ac-1}(1-x)^{n-y}(1-x^c)^{b-1}\,dx\\

&=&\int_{0}^{1}x^{y+ac-1}\left(\sum_{j=0}^{n-y}(-1)^{j}{n-y\choose j}x^{j}\right)(1-x^c)^{b-1}\,dx\\

&=&\sum_{j=0}^{n-y}\int_{0}^{1}x^{y+ac+j-1}(-1)^{j}{n-y\choose j}(1-x^c)^{b-1}\,dx\\

&=&\sum_{j=0}^{n-y}\int_{0}^{1}(-1)^{j}{n-y\choose j}(x^c)^{\left(\frac{y}{c}+a+\frac{j}{c}-\frac{1}{c}\right)}(1-x^c)^{b-1}\,dx\\

&=&\sum_{j=0}^{n-y}(-1)^{j}{n-y\choose j}\int_{0}^{1}(x^c)^{\left(\frac{y}{c}+a+\frac{j}{c}-\frac{1}{c}\right)}(1-x^c)^{b-1}\,dx\\

\end{eqnarray}

Let, \(\displaystyle x=z^{\frac{1}{c}}\Rightarrow dx=\frac{1}{c}z^{\frac{1}{c}-1}\,dz\)

\begin{eqnarray}

\therefore\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{i}{b-1\choose i}B(y+ac+ci,\,n-y+1)&=&\sum_{j=0}^{n-y}(-1)^{j}{n-y\choose j}\int_{0}^{1}z^{\left(\frac{y}{c}+a+\frac{j}{c}-\frac{1}{c}\right)}(1-z)^{b-1}\frac{1}{c}z^{\frac{1}{c}-1}\,dz\\

&=&\frac{1}{c}\sum_{j=0}^{n-y}(-1)^{j}{n-y\choose j}\int_{0}^{1}z^{\left(\frac{y}{c}+a+\frac{j}{c}-1\right)}(1-z)^{b-1}\,dz\\

&=&\frac{1}{c}\sum_{j=0}^{n-y}(-1)^{j}{n-y\choose j}B\left(\frac{y}{c}+a+\frac{j}{c},\,b\right)

\end{eqnarray}

\(\sum_{j=0}^{n-y}(-1)^{j}{n-y\choose j}B\left(\frac{y}{c}+a+\frac{j}{c},\,b\right)\) is a finite series since, \(n-y\in\mathbb{Z}^{+}\cup\{0\}\)

Therefore, \(\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{i}{b-1\choose i}B(y+ac+ci,\,n-y+1)\) can be written as a finite series and hence it is convergent.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Sudharaka said:
Hi chamilka, :)

Firstly I think you should review what a power series is. The given series is not a power series and the radius of convergence is defined only for power series.
\(\sum_{j=0}^{n-y}(-1)^{j}{n-y\choose j}B\left(\frac{y}{c}+a+\frac{j}{c},\,b\right)\) is a finite series since, \(n-y\in\mathbb{Z}^{+}\cup\{0\}\)

Therefore, \(\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{i}{b-1\choose i}B(y+ac+ci,\,n-y+1)\) can be written as a finite series and hence it is convergent.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Thank you very much Sudharaka. I got some idea about the power series and radius of convergence from the wiki articles and from the way you explained that my infinite series is in deed a finite series I got answer to my question without troubling more about PS and RoC.
I honestly express my gratitude.. (Handshake)

Related to Is this power series a convergent series?

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑an(x-c)n, where an are constants, x is a variable, and c is a fixed number. It is a type of mathematical representation that is used to express a function as an infinite sum of terms.

2. What does it mean for a power series to be convergent?

A power series is convergent if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. In other words, if the infinite series can be approximated by a finite sum, then it is considered to be convergent.

3. How do you determine if a power series is convergent?

There are various tests and criteria that can be used to determine the convergence of a power series. Some common methods include the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests involve evaluating the limit of certain ratios or integrals to determine if the series converges or diverges.

4. What happens if a power series is divergent?

If a power series is divergent, it means that the sum of its terms does not approach a finite value as the number of terms increases. This could happen if the terms in the series do not decrease in magnitude as n increases, or if they oscillate between positive and negative values. In these cases, the series cannot be approximated by a finite sum and is considered to be divergent.

5. Can a power series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a power series can only be either convergent or divergent. It cannot be both at the same time. However, a power series can be convergent for some values of x and divergent for others. This is known as the interval of convergence, and it can be determined by the tests and criteria mentioned in question 3.