Is this overlap of class intended for stats major program?

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential overlap in two classes within the stats major program at the speaker's school. They question whether this overlap is intentional or a typo, and wonder if universities allow such overlaps. The speaker also mentions that the requirements for the program recently changed and there may have been accidental duplications. They advise seeking clarification from the department or an advisor for the correct requirements.
annoyinggirl
http://oi58.tinypic.com/2d85aix.jpg

above is an url to the stats major program at my school. In red are the two classes that overlap. Is it likely that the overlap is intended, or a typo? Do universities ever allow such overlap (an emphasis class overlaps with a core class)?
They changed it a few months ago. Prior to that change, the science emphasis was this : http://oi59.tinypic.com/33oicr5.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on your university. Ask your advisor.

It's probably an accidental duplication introduced when they changed the core requirements and/or the various "emphasis" requirements at some point, probably fairly recently. I found stuff like this when I went over my college's departmental web pages last year with a fine-tooth comb, comparing them against the major/minor requirements and course descriptions in the official printed catalog. They're surely not going to make you take the same course twice. :biggrin: However, you should clarify with the department, whether you need to take five or six of the other courses listed under "Science Emphasis."

jtbell said:
It's probably an accidental duplication introduced when they changed the core requirements and/or the various "emphasis" requirements at some point, probably fairly recently. I found stuff like this when I went over my college's departmental web pages last year with a fine-tooth comb, comparing them against the major/minor requirements and course descriptions in the official printed catalog. They're surely not going to make you take the same course twice. :biggrin: However, you should clarify with the department, whether you need to take five or six of the other courses listed under "Science Emphasis."
You are correct. They changed it a few months ago. Prior to that change the science emphasis was this : http://oi59.tinypic.com/33oicr5.jpg

jtbell said:
I now understand what you mean. I thought you meant they made a typo when making changes to core classes, but now i know you mean that they also forgot to change the emphasis class that was previously already there. However, this is not the case, because as you can see in http://oi59.tinypic.com/33oicr5.jpg, intro to linear models was previously part of the science emphasis.

In any event, you need to ask someone "in the know" in the department what the requirements really are.

jtbell said:
In any event, you need to ask someone "in the know" in the department what the requirements really are.
ok. i just emailed the department. I will also seek an advisor

annoyinggirl said:
I now understand what you mean. I thought you meant they made a typo when making changes to core classes, but now i know you mean that they also forgot to change the emphasis class that was previously already there. However, this is not the case, because as you can see in http://oi59.tinypic.com/33oicr5.jpg, intro to linear models was previously part of the science emphasis.
i mean NOT previously part of . lol

Related to Is this overlap of class intended for stats major program?

1. What is the purpose of this class?

The purpose of this class is to provide a deeper understanding of statistics and its applications in various fields, with a focus on the requirements and techniques for a stats major program.

2. Is this class necessary for a stats major?

Yes, this class is an essential part of a stats major program and is typically required for graduation. It covers important concepts and skills that are necessary for success in the field of statistics.

3. Who can enroll in this class?

This class is open to all students who have met the prerequisites and are interested in pursuing a stats major or have a strong interest in statistics. It is recommended that students have a solid foundation in mathematics and basic statistics before enrolling.

4. What topics will be covered in this class?

This class will cover a range of topics related to statistics, including probability, data analysis, regression, experimental design, and more. It will also include hands-on experience with statistical software and real-world applications of statistics.

5. Will this class be challenging for someone without a strong math background?

While a strong math background is helpful for success in this class, it is not a requirement. The class is designed to build upon basic mathematical concepts and provide the necessary skills for a stats major. However, students may need to put in extra effort and seek additional resources if they do not have a strong math background.