Is This Ohm's Law Application Correct for an OP-AMP Circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem involving OP-AMPS and the use of Ohms Law and Laplace transforms to solve it. The rectangular component is meant to represent a 1 F capacitor and the conversation ends with the confirmation that the component values are correct.
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

Hi,

So I'm just curious whether or not the following statement is correct for the circuit shown. It's part of a bigger problem involving OP-AMPS, the part of the circuit shown is the upper loop connecting from the inverting to the output.

I was just having some doubts in my mind and wanted to confirm whether or not the equation i have written is correct.

ec61ee1761.png

Homework Equations

Ohms Law. V = IR.

The Attempt at a Solution

d66ba13ae1.png

Attachments

• ec61ee1761.png
    ec61ee1761.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 690
  • d66ba13ae1.png
    d66ba13ae1.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 860
Physics news on Phys.org
For the given component values it looks okay. Presumably the rectangular component is meant to represent a 1 F capacitor?

CoolDude420 said:

Homework Statement

Hi,

So I'm just curious whether or not the following statement is correct for the circuit shown. It's part of a bigger problem involving OP-AMPS, the part of the circuit shown is the upper loop connecting from the inverting to the output.

I was just having some doubts in my mind and wanted to confirm whether or not the equation i have written is correct.

View attachment 215789

Homework Equations

Ohms Law. V = IR.

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 215790
Interestingly gneill seems to understand your circuit and terminology, but I am struggling with it. However, any way I look at it I can't see the rectangular component as being a capacitor unless the OP AMP in question is a differentiating OP AMP and even then I would need to see a feedback resistor which is a key part of the the various voltage components. Since we are doing V = IR (or in this case I = V/R) I cannot understand this to be differentiating problem, so I would read that the rectangular component is a resistor with a value of 1/S but I am not able to determine what 'S' signifies. Also, if this is an integrating OP AMP, then there must be two resistor, R input and R feedback.
I may be just having a dumb day, bit I would like to see a full circuit, with the components correctly defined before I could comment on the correctness of the value terminology used in the equation.

Quandry said:
...so I would read that the rectangular component is a resistor with a value of 1/S but I am not able to determine what 'S' signifies.
The 's' is the Laplace domain "frequency" variable/operator (yes, it's both). Reactive components such as inductors and capacitors have impedances in the Laplace domain of the forms:

Inductance L: sL
Capacitance C: 1/(sC)

Laplace transforms are a very handy way to write and solve differential equations using simple algebra.

It is a sad day when you don't learn something new:smile: Although vaguely aware of Laplace transformations I have never used them.
For a differentiating OP AMP I would use the formula Iinput = C x dVinput/dt

gneill said:
For the given component values it looks okay. Presumably the rectangular component is meant to represent a 1 F capacitor?

Yes! That's exactly what it was meant to be. Thank you

Related to Is This Ohm's Law Application Correct for an OP-AMP Circuit?

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between electrical voltage, current, and resistance. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

2. How do I use Ohm's Law?

To use Ohm's Law, you need to know two of the three variables: voltage, current, and resistance. Then, you can use the formula V = IR, where V is voltage in volts, I is current in amps, and R is resistance in ohms. Simply rearrange the formula to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is ohms, which is represented by the Greek letter omega (Ω). Other common units for resistance are kiloohms (kΩ) and megaohms (MΩ).

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits in relation to Ohm's Law?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, so the current is the same throughout the circuit. In this case, Ohm's Law can be used to calculate the total resistance of the circuit by adding the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, so the voltage is the same across each branch. In this case, Ohm's Law can be used to calculate the total current of the circuit by adding the individual currents.

5. How does temperature affect Ohm's Law?

Temperature can affect Ohm's Law by changing the resistance of a conductor. For most conductors, an increase in temperature leads to an increase in resistance, while a decrease in temperature leads to a decrease in resistance. This is due to the movement of atoms within the conductor, which can either hinder or facilitate the flow of electrons.