Is This Custom Lens Design Suitable for My Needs?

In summary, you can use a lens with a focal length of 34mm and a diameter of 13mm that will provide good resolution onto a CMOS sensor.
ariebl
Hello
Need to verify please if the following custom design lens is reasonable
-- Sensor: CMOS sensor, 1/3”, 6μm x 6μm pixel, Wide VGA 752H x 480V, 4.55mm x 2.97mm Imaging Area
-- Focus: 50m till 200m
-- Lens: f2.8; Focal length=34mm; Diameter=13mm
Pay attention I am not a physicist and also that this data is only for first estimation and not for lens production
Arie

Science news on Phys.org
Those number say very little about the lens, except that you should be able to find several commercial suppliers that can supply something similar for a reasonable price. Just a few examples I found after ~7 milliseconds of googling:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/404253-REG/Fujinon_HF35HA1B_2_3_C_Mount_35mm.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/519677-REG/Pentax_C33500KP_C33500KP_2_3_C_Mount.html

What is difficult in lens design is to correct chromatic and spherical aberrations, distortion, anti-reflective coatings etc. You mention nothing of that.

Why do you want to design your own lens?

thank M Quack for your answer
but let me, please, write my question in another words:
I have CMOS sensor, 1/3”, 6μm x 6μm pixel, Wide VGA 752H x 480V, 4.55mm x 2.97mm Imaging Area
And I need to add a lens to receive a focus from 50m till 200m
Can you please tell me if lens with f2.8, Focal length=34mm and Diameter=13mm will be OK?
Arie

Focal length 34mm divided by diameter 13mm gives f/2.6, so that part is OK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_aperture

Next, you want to check if the diffraction limit is better than your pixel size. Most lenses, however, do not reach the diffraction limit at f/2.8 due to unavoidable aberrations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_criterion#Explanation

You get about 2 micrometers, so that is OK, too, and with some margin to allow for less-than-perfect performance of the lens.

Finally, you want to check the depth of field to see if objects between 50 and 200m can be in focus. Use the pixel size as circle of confusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field

The hyperfocal distance is about H=70m. If you focus your lens to that distance, then objects from H/2=35m to infinity will be in focus, i.e. the circle of confusion will be smaller than the pixel size.

So your parameters 34mm f/2.8 should allow you to image objects between 50 and 200m with better than 6 micrometers resolution onto your detector.

These estimates are valid for a perfect lens. Real life lenses will perform worse for the resolution limit. The size of the CCD does not enter anywhere here, but real life lenses will illuminate only a limited image field. So you need to check that when selecting the lens.

Thank you M Quack very very much
I just finished to read your answer and it looks great
not that I understood everything, but it is exactly what I was looking for
because I'm not a physicist I need to learn more a bout it
but I understood lens seems OK but need to test a real lens
again I really appreciate your help
Arie

Related to Is This Custom Lens Design Suitable for My Needs?

1. How can I verify the accuracy of my custom lens design?

There are several ways to verify the accuracy of a custom lens design. One approach is to use computer simulations to model the performance of the lens. Another method is to conduct physical experiments using the actual lens. Additionally, you can compare the design to similar lenses that have been proven to be accurate.

2. What factors should I consider when verifying a custom lens design?

When verifying a custom lens design, it is important to consider factors such as the lens material, the desired focal length, the intended use of the lens, and the manufacturing process. These factors can impact the accuracy and performance of the lens, so it is important to carefully consider them during the verification process.

3. Can I use off-the-shelf components to verify my custom lens design?

Yes, it is possible to use off-the-shelf components to verify a custom lens design. However, it is important to make sure that the components are compatible with your design and that they have the necessary specifications and capabilities to accurately simulate or test the lens.

4. How do I ensure that my custom lens design meets the required specifications?

To ensure that your custom lens design meets the required specifications, it is important to thoroughly test and verify the lens. This can involve conducting multiple simulations and experiments, as well as comparing the design to known standards. Additionally, seeking feedback and input from other experts in the field can help to identify any potential issues or areas for improvement.

5. Can I make changes to my custom lens design after verification?

Yes, it is possible to make changes to a custom lens design after it has been verified. However, any changes should be carefully considered and tested to ensure that they do not significantly impact the accuracy or performance of the lens. It is also important to document any changes made to the design and to re-verify it after modifications have been made.