Is this circuit possible? And what resistor should I use?

In summary, Jamie from Ireland is new to making circuits and wants to create an LED circuit with 6 white LEDs and a 9V battery. They are wondering what resistor to use and if it's possible with the given power. Other users suggest starting with 1k resistors and adjusting to desired brightness, and also mention the option of wiring LEDs in series pairs to save energy. Jamie also asks if they can use normal wire instead of breadboard jumper cables.
JJM596
Hi all,
I am a new member here.

I am quite new to making circuits,etc. and have decided to make something easy-ish on a breadboard. I have included a diagram of what I am planning to make. I am using 6x white
LEDs and a 9v battery. I was wondering what resistor I should use for
this? Also, is this even possible? Do I have enough power to light up 6 LEDs not full power
, as I know i don't have enough power for that, but even just a little bit bright? Would really appreciate
any help on this. apologies for bad grammar, am in a rush!

Thanks, Jamie
Ireland

Attachments

• circuit..jpg
    circuit..jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 443
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey there Jamie
welcome to PF

1k resistors ( as currently shown) would be OK as a starting point, then increase or decrease a little to get the brightness you want

Make sure you have the LED's the right way around :smile:Dave

White LEDs drop a forward voltage of about 3.3V.

Each LED will have (9V – 3.3V) / 1kR = 5.7 mA. I would have expected Ifwd to be closer to a typical 20 mA.
For 20 mA you would use R = (9V – 3.3V) / 20 mA = 285 ohms, use standard value 270R.
Total current will be 6 chains * 21.1 mA = 126.6 mA.

You can save energy by wiring LEDs in series pairs. Then for 20 mA LED current you need a series;
R = (9V – 3.3V – 3.3V) / 20mA = 120 ohms, a standard value.
Total current will be I = 3 chains * 20 mA = 60 mA.
So the battery should last twice as long.

Thank you for a quick reply:) This helps alot!
One more question though, can I use normal wire instead of using breadboard jumper cable wires?
I have "normal" wire so if I could use it it would save having to buy the jumper cables.

Thanks again,Jamie

yes.

Related to Is this circuit possible? And what resistor should I use?

1. Can this circuit be built with the available components?

The answer to this question depends on the specific components you have available, as well as the complexity of the circuit. It is always best to consult a circuit diagram and compare it to the components you have on hand to determine feasibility.

2. Is this circuit safe to use?

The safety of a circuit depends on many factors, such as the voltage and current being used, the quality of the components, and how the circuit is constructed. It is important to carefully follow safety guidelines and use appropriate components to ensure the safety of the circuit.

3. How can I calculate the resistance needed for this circuit?

The resistance needed for a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). This can be written as R = V/I. Alternatively, you can use a resistor color code chart or a circuit design software to determine the appropriate resistance value.

4. Can I use multiple resistors to achieve the needed resistance?

Yes, multiple resistors can be used in series or parallel to achieve the needed resistance. When connected in series, the resistances add up, and when connected in parallel, the reciprocal of the total resistance is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of each individual resistor.

5. What happens if I use a resistor with a different resistance than what is recommended?

Using a resistor with a different resistance than what is recommended can affect the performance of the circuit. It can result in a higher or lower current, which can in turn affect the voltage and overall functionality of the circuit. It is best to use the recommended resistance for optimal circuit performance.