Is this an error in Srednicki?

In summary, the conversation is about a discrepancy in the constants obtained from an integral calculation in Mathematica, compared to those shown in Srednicki's QFT textbook. The discrepancy is eventually resolved by realizing that there is an additional term in the integral that was not included in the Mathematica code.
LAHLH
Hi,

On p104 of Srednicki's QFT, he does an integral in closed form, equations 14.43 and 14.44. I just ran the calculations for this in Mathematica, and I get his answer exactly except for my constants [tex] c_1=4-\pi\sqrt{3} [/tex] and [tex] c_2=4-2\pi\sqrt{3} [/tex].

The mathematica code I used to generate this was:

In[3]:= d[x_] := x*(1 - x)*k^2 + m^2

In[4]:= d0[x_] := (1 - x*(1 - x))*m^2

In[5]:= p[x_] = (1/2)*a*d[x]*Log[d[x]/d0[x]]

Out[5]= 1/2 a (m^2 + k^2 (1 - x) x) Log[(m^2 + k^2 (1 - x) x)/(
m^2 (1 - (1 - x) x))]

In[12]:= Integrate[p[x], {x, 0, 1},
Assumptions -> {Element[m, Reals], Element[k, Reals], m > 0, k > 0}]

Out[12]= (1/(12 k Sqrt[
k^2 + 4 m^2]))a (k Sqrt[
k^2 + 4 m^2] (4 (k^2 + m^2) - Sqrt[3] (k^2 + 2 m^2) \[Pi]) +
2 (k^2 + 4 m^2)^2 ArcTanh[k/Sqrt[k^2 + 4 m^2]])

Then collecting the terms in k^2 and m^2, you find the constants I posted above, rather than the very similar but different Srednicki ones.

It's not listed on his errata page if this is an error, perhaps I am missing something? just seems very close, to not be correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh sorry, I literally saw the second I pressed send, that he also subtracts a [tex] \tfrac{1}{12}\alpha (k^2+m^2) [/tex] in 14.43 that I left off.

Related to Is this an error in Srednicki?

What is Srednicki?

Srednicki refers to the book "Quantum Field Theory" written by Mark Srednicki, which is a popular textbook used in many undergraduate and graduate courses in theoretical physics.

What is an error in Srednicki?

An error in Srednicki refers to a mistake or inaccuracy found in the book "Quantum Field Theory" by Mark Srednicki. This could be a mathematical error, a typo, or a conceptual mistake.

Why are there errors in Srednicki?

As with any scientific work, errors can occur in Srednicki due to various reasons such as human error, complexity of the subject matter, or changes and updates in the field of quantum field theory since the book was first published.

How can I spot an error in Srednicki?

To spot an error in Srednicki, it is important to have a good understanding of the concepts and equations presented in the book. One can also cross-reference with other reliable sources or consult with experts in the field.

Are all errors in Srednicki significant?

Not all errors in Srednicki are significant. Some errors may be minor and have little impact on the overall understanding and application of quantum field theory. However, it is important to identify and correct any errors to ensure the accuracy and reliability of scientific information.