Is this a printing error? (book example problem -- radius of a molecule)

In summary, the critical volume of a gas is 0.024 L mol-1. For every molecule there is a radius of 4 cm.
Buffu
Question :- The critical volume of a gas is 0.072 L mol-1. What will be the radius of the molecule in cm ?

Answer in the book :-

##V_c = 3b \implies b = 0.024 L mol##
##\therefore## for every molecule ##b = {24 \text{cm}^3\over 6 \times 10^{23}} = 4 \times 10^{-23}\text{cm}^3## per molecule.

##\therefore 4 \times 10^{-23}\text{cm}^3 = \color{red}{4} \times \frac43 \pi r^3##
##r^3 = \left({3\over 4\pi} \times 10^{-23}\right)^{1\over3} = 1.336 \times 10^{-8}## cm

I did not get from where that 'red' 4 came in the third line ? I think volume of a sphere is just 4/3 pi r^3.
Mostly likely a mistake on behalf of the author.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is b?

Likes berkeman
mathman said:
What is b?
Van der waal constant.

I can't help you much, because the physics involved is something I have never studied. Wikipedia description doesn't help.

mathman said:
I can't help you much, because the physics involved is something I have never studied. Wikipedia description doesn't help.
No problem, thanks for taking the time to consider my question.

@Borek Can you help me with this question ?

Buffu said:
I think volume of a sphere is just 4/3 pi r^3.
That's right.

Buffu said:
Vc=3b⟹b=0.024LmolVc=3b⟹b=0.024LmolV_c = 3b \implies b = 0.024 L mol
Are the dimensions of b correct here ?

Why the 4?
Draw a picture and do some simple math.
Take 2 molecules of r.
The volume of one molecule would be as from the formula of a sphere.
Have the second molecule approach and touch the first.
Of course their centres cannot overlap but are separated by distance 2r.
From no matter what direction the second molecule approaches the first it can get no closer than 2r.
What volume is that?

So for your answer, what volume is now excluded for movement of the two (2) molecules.

256bits said:
Are the dimensions of b correct here ?
Yes the dimension is correct.
##\left(P+{n^2a\over V}\right)(v-nb) = nRT##

256bits said:
Why the 4?
Draw a picture and do some simple math.
Take 2 molecules of r.
The volume of one molecule would be as from the formula of a sphere.
Have the second molecule approach and touch the first.
Of course their centres cannot overlap but are separated by distance 2r.
From no matter what direction the second molecule approaches the first it can get no closer than 2r.
What volume is that?

geogebra-export.png

So I have to find the volume of this figure and divide it by 2 because there are 2 molecules. Am I correct ?

Buffu said:
So I have to find the volume of this figure and divide it by 2 because there are 2 molecules. Am I correct ?
It looks as if the green sphere has penetrated the blue sphere. Only the surfaces should physically just touch.
Divide by 2 for 2 molecules is correct.

upload_2016-12-24_8-40-57.png

256bits said:
So the total volume is volume is of green sphere by 2.
i.e ##\displaystyle{{4\over 3}\pi \times8r^3\over 2} = {{4\over 3}\pi \times4r^3}##

Ok I did get the answer but I don't know why we did this ?

upload_2016-12-24_13-13-52.png

Perhaps that is more intuitive, as how molecules with volume occupy space mathematically definitely is not.

The second picture:
Using the centre of the molecules.
Second picture shows the black molecule approaching the pink molecule from several directions ( the grey ).
The green ( sphere ) shows the volume within which the black molecules centre cannot penetrate since the pink molecule does not allow due to its presence.

The first picture:
shows the volume within which both molecules can occupy if they would swirl around one another.

By the way, this is not close packing of solids or liquids, where one has several molecules touching one another at the same time.
For gases, I guess the assumption is made that contact time is brief, and very rarely involves more than 2 molecules.

You can also consider the green circle in the second picture, as the sphere inside of which the two molecules will collide, and outside of which they will not ( which by the way is related to the mean free path of the molecules ) as they move along their trajectory path. May be the better of the explanations.

Does that help @Buffu?

Likes Buffu
@256bits Oh, I get the solution now. Really nice explanation with pictures.

I have a side question, What part of physics is this ? statistical mechanics ?

Related to Is this a printing error? (book example problem -- radius of a molecule)

What is a printing error?

A printing error is a mistake or defect that occurs during the printing process, resulting in incorrect or incomplete text or images on a printed material.

How do I identify a printing error?

A printing error can be identified by closely examining the printed material for any inconsistencies, such as missing or distorted text, smudges or smears, or misaligned images.

What causes printing errors?

Printing errors can be caused by a variety of factors, including technical malfunctions, human error, or poor quality control during the printing process.

Can a printing error impact the content of a book?

Yes, a printing error can impact the content of a book by altering the accuracy or readability of the text, or by omitting important information.

How can a printing error be fixed?

If a printing error is identified, it can be fixed by reprinting the affected material or making corrections to the existing print. In some cases, the error may be minor and can be overlooked or easily corrected by the reader.