Reaction Rate of 4HCl + 4NaS2O3 -> Effects on Reaction

In summary, the experimentally determined reaction rate for the reaction 4HCl(aq) + 4NaS2O3(aq) -> 4NaCl(aq) + 3S(s) + 5SO2(aq) + 2H2O(l) was found to be proportional to [NaS2O3]^1 and [HCl]^2. While it is difficult to determine the reaction mechanism or rate determining step for this reaction, an example was given to illustrate how two reactants in equal proportions can affect the reaction rate differently. The example involved a three-step reaction with the rate determining step being A + AB -> AAB. This demonstrates the importance of considering measured rates rather than sto
Drad
I experimentally determined the reaction rate of the following reaction:

4HCl(aq) + 4NaS2O3(aq) -> 4NaCl(aq) + 3S(s) + 5SO2(aq) + 2H2O(l)

and found that the rate was proportional to [NaS2O3]^1 and [HCl]^2

I know that it's probably too tricky to determine the reaction mechanism or rate determining step for this reaction. But I was wondering if someone could give me a simple example of how 2 reactants in equal proportions (e.g. 4HCl and 4NaS2O3) can affect the reaction rate differently from each other (e.g. []^1 and []^2) I would have thought they would both be ^1.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ok I just thought of this:

first step: A + B <-> AB
rate determining step: A + AB -> AAB
third step: B + AAB -> final products

I guess it's plausible as a simple example

Last edited:
Good enough --- the temptation to interpret mechanism in terms of stoichiometry rather than measured rates is as tough to overcome as the temptation to relate reaction rates to free energies of reactions.

1. What is the reaction rate of 4HCl + 4NaS2O3 and how is it measured?

The reaction rate of 4HCl + 4NaS2O3 is the speed at which the reaction occurs. It is typically measured by determining the change in concentration of a reactant or product over time. This can be done using various techniques such as spectrophotometry, titration, or monitoring the production of gas.

2. How do different concentrations of 4HCl and 4NaS2O3 affect the reaction rate?

The reaction rate is directly proportional to the concentrations of the reactants. Therefore, increasing the concentrations of 4HCl and 4NaS2O3 will increase the reaction rate, while decreasing the concentrations will decrease the reaction rate. This is due to the fact that higher concentrations provide more particles for collisions, leading to a higher frequency of successful collisions and therefore a faster reaction rate.

3. What factors other than concentration can affect the reaction rate of 4HCl + 4NaS2O3?

Other factors that can affect the reaction rate include temperature, surface area, and the presence of a catalyst. Increasing the temperature can increase the reaction rate as it provides more energy for particles to collide with enough force to overcome the activation energy barrier. A larger surface area also increases the reaction rate, as it provides more surface for collisions to occur. A catalyst can also increase the reaction rate by decreasing the activation energy required for the reaction to take place.

4. How does the stoichiometry of the reaction affect the reaction rate of 4HCl + 4NaS2O3?

The stoichiometry of a reaction refers to the mole ratios of the reactants and products. In the given reaction, the stoichiometry is 1:1 for both 4HCl and 4NaS2O3. This means that for every 4 moles of HCl, there must be 4 moles of NaS2O3 present in order for the reaction to occur. If there is an excess of either reactant, the reaction will not proceed any faster, as there will still be a limit on the number of successful collisions between the two reactants.

5. How can the reaction rate of 4HCl + 4NaS2O3 be controlled or manipulated?

The reaction rate of 4HCl + 4NaS2O3 can be controlled or manipulated by changing the factors that affect it, such as concentration, temperature, and the presence of a catalyst. Additionally, changing the physical conditions of the reaction, such as stirring or adding a solvent, can also affect the reaction rate. By understanding and manipulating these factors, it is possible to control the rate of the reaction and optimize it for desired results.