Is this a contraction mapping?

In summary: Attempt on problem: I can verify that |f'(x)|≤0.9<1 but I am stuck when it comes to showing that the function maps onto itself in the given interval. It is indeed not true since f(x)→infinity when T=0.Thanks very much!
odck111
Hello All:
I am working on a function given as f(x) = 10/x + (1/20)x^2 for x such that 0≤x≤10. What can be said about the contraction mapping property of f(x)=x? If it is not a contraction map, is there any way to make modifications on the function or the interval and prove a contraction mapping result? The upper bound in the interval is important to keep.. Attempt on problem: I can verify that |f'(x)|≤0.9<1 but I am stuck when it comes to showing that the function maps onto itself in the given interval. It is indeed not true since f(x)→infinity when T=0.

Thanks very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 0≤x≤10 is not a region; 0<x<10 is. You may want to check the problem statement.

I don't think it will matter but I removed "region". There is no problem statement actually, this is something I am trying to solve for my research.
Thanks,

dodo said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 0≤x≤10 is not a region; 0<x<10 is. You may want to check the problem statement.

odck111 said:
Hello All:
I am working on a function given as f(x) = 10/x + (1/20)x^2 for x such that 0≤x≤10. What can be said about the contraction mapping property of f(x)=x?
It is clearly not a contraction map.
f(1)= 10+ 1/20= 10.05 and f(2)= 5+ 4/20= 5.2
The distance from 5.2 to 10.05 is definitely NOT less than the distance from 1 to 2.

If it is not a contraction map, is there any way to make modifications on the function or the interval and prove a contraction mapping result? The upper bound in the interval is important to keep..

Attempt on problem: I can verify that |f'(x)|≤0.9<1 but I am stuck when it comes to showing that the function maps onto itself in the given interval. It is indeed not true since f(x)→infinity when T=0.

Thanks very much!

I would like to clarify that the concept of a contraction mapping is typically used in the context of metric spaces and not for single-variable functions like f(x)=x. However, we can discuss the properties of this function and its behavior in the given interval.

Firstly, f(x)=x is not a contraction map in the interval [0,10] because it does not satisfy the necessary condition of |f(x)-f(y)|<k|x-y| for all x,y in the interval, where k is a constant less than 1. In fact, as you mentioned, f(x) approaches infinity as x approaches 0, which violates the definition of a contraction map.

To make modifications on the function or the interval in order to prove a contraction mapping result, we would need to find a k value that satisfies the necessary condition mentioned above. However, this may not be possible as the upper bound in the interval, 10, is important to maintain for the given function. Modifying the interval or the function itself may change its behavior and lead to different results.

In conclusion, f(x)=x is not a contraction map in the interval [0,10] and it may not be possible to modify the function or the interval to prove a contraction mapping result while maintaining the important upper bound. It is important to carefully consider the properties and limitations of a function when trying to prove certain results.

Related to Is this a contraction mapping?

1. What is a contraction mapping?

A contraction mapping is a mathematical function that maps elements from one space to another, while also shrinking the distance between the mapped elements. In simpler terms, it is a function that brings elements closer together.

2. How do you determine if a function is a contraction mapping?

To determine if a function is a contraction mapping, you must check if the distance between the mapped elements is always decreasing. This can be done by calculating the Lipschitz constant, which must be less than 1 for the function to be a contraction mapping.

3. What is the importance of contraction mappings in mathematics?

Contraction mappings are important in mathematics because they have several applications in various fields such as calculus, differential equations, and optimization. They are used to prove the existence and uniqueness of solutions to problems and to find approximations for complicated functions.

4. Can a function be a contraction mapping on one set and not on another?

Yes, a function can be a contraction mapping on one set and not on another. This is because the Lipschitz constant, which determines if a function is a contraction mapping, may vary depending on the set being mapped.

5. How are contraction mappings used in real-life applications?

Contraction mappings are used in real-life applications such as image compression, data analysis, and machine learning. They are also used in economics and finance to model the relationship between variables and make predictions.