Is \(\theta=360^\circ-\beta\) When \(\sin(\beta)=\frac{1}{3}\)?

In summary: So, what you're saying is that $\theta=90^{\circ}$ is the only solution that corresponds to the intersection of the circle and the line $y=-\frac{1}{3}$?Yes, that's correct.
jevanuD

Attachments

• Question 2.JPG
    Question 2.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 80
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you have ideas yourself? What standard trigonometric identities that you already know could possibly be applied here?

I am aware that $\tan(x) = \frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)}$ and the other fundamental which is $1-\cos ^2(x)=\sin ^2(x)$ i just need some clarity on how its proven.x

jevanuD said:
I am aware that [M]\tan\left({}\right)[/M] = \sin\left({}\right)/\cos\left({}\right) and the other fundamental which is [M]\:1-\cos ^2\left(x\right)=\sin ^2\left(x\right)[/M] i just need some clarity on how its proven.

Use the $\sum$ button to wrap your code, instead of the M button. ;)

The two identities you cited:

\(\displaystyle \tan(\theta)=\frac{\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}\)

\(\displaystyle 1-\cos^2(\theta)=\sin^2(\theta)\)

will be very useful for the first problem...can you use them to make some substitutions?

Hi jevanuD. I've edited your second post to allow the $\LaTeX$ code to render properly and made some other minor edits. The delimiters for inline $\LaTeX$ are \$...\$. You can view the code by right-clicking on the $\LaTeX$ and selecting Show Math As > TeX Commands.

MarkFL said:
Use the $\sum$ button to wrap your code, instead of the M button. ;)

The two identities you cited:

\(\displaystyle \tan(\theta)=\frac{\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}\)

\(\displaystyle 1-\cos^2(\theta)=\sin^2(\theta)\)

will be very useful for the first problem...can you use them to make some substitutions?

Yes correct, I've made my substitutions to prove that question A is indeed true, however i am not sure how to start "B"

jevanuD said:
Yes correct, I've made my substitutions to prove that question A is indeed true, however i am not sure how to start "B"

For the first part of part (b), multiply through by $\sin(\theta)$ to get a quadratic in $\sin(\theta)$. Then factor...what do you get?

MarkFL said:
For the first part of part (b), multiply through by $\sin(\theta)$ to get a quadratic in $\sin(\theta)$. Then factor...what do you get?

\(\displaystyle 3\sin\left({\theta}\right){}^{2}=3\)?

jevanuD said:
\(\displaystyle 3\sin\left({\theta}\right){}^{2}=3\)?

No, let's start with:

\(\displaystyle 3\sin(\theta)=2+\frac{1}{\sin(\theta)}\)

Multiply through by $\sin(\theta)$ to get:

\(\displaystyle 3\sin^2(\theta)=2\sin(\theta)+1\)

Arrange in standard form:

\(\displaystyle 3\sin^2(\theta)-2\sin(\theta)-1=0\)

Now factor...what do you get?

MarkFL said:
No, let's start with:

\(\displaystyle 3\sin(\theta)=2+\frac{1}{\sin(\theta)}\)

Multiply through by $\sin(\theta)$ to get:

\(\displaystyle 3\sin^2(\theta)=2\sin(\theta)+1\)

Arrange in standard form:

\(\displaystyle 3\sin^2(\theta)-2\sin(\theta)-1=0\)

Now factor...what do you get?

\(\displaystyle \sin\left({\theta}\right)\left(3\sin\left({\theta}\right)-3\right)=0\)

jevanuD said:
\(\displaystyle \sin\left({\theta}\right)\left(3\sin\left({\theta}\right)-3\right)=0\)

No...what if I ask you to factor:

\(\displaystyle 3x^2-2x-1=0\)

MarkFL said:
No...what if I ask you to factor:

\(\displaystyle 3x^2-2x-1=0\)

\(\displaystyle \left(3x+1\right)\left(x-1\right)\)

jevanuD said:
\(\displaystyle \left(3x+1\right)\left(x-1\right)\)

Excellent...the same applies whether you have the quadratic in $x$ or $\sin(\theta)$ or any other expression. So, this gives you:

\(\displaystyle \left(3\sin(\theta)+1\right)\left(\sin(\theta)-1\right)=0\)

From this, of course, we get:

\(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)=-\frac{1}{3}\)

\(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)=1\)

Can you see how many solutions you are going to have, and in which quadrants?

MarkFL said:
Excellent...the same applies whether you have the quadratic in $x$ or $\sin(\theta)$ or any other expression. So, this gives you:

\(\displaystyle \left(3\sin(\theta)+1\right)\left(\sin(\theta)-1\right)=0\)

From this, of course, we get:

\(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)=-\frac{1}{3}\)

\(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)=1\)

Can you see how many solutions you are going to have, and in which quadrants?

Are you saying I should plot my 2 solutions into: \(\displaystyle {0}^{0}\le\theta\le360^{0}\)

jevanuD said:
Are you saying I should plot my 2 solutions into: \(\displaystyle {0}^{0}\le\theta\le360^{0}\)

What I would do is plot the unit circle, and the lines $y=1$ and \(\displaystyle y=-\frac{1}{3}\)...

View attachment 8024

From this graph, can you see how many solutions we're going to have on the required interval?

Attachments

• jeva_001.png
    jeva_001.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 68
MarkFL said:
What I would do is plot the unit circle, and the lines $y=1$ and \(\displaystyle y=-\frac{1}{3}\)...
From this graph, can you see how many solutions we're going to have on the required interval?

from that I'm seeing 3 points marked, which is 3 solutions?

jevanuD said:
from that I'm seeing 3 points marked, which is 3 solutions?

Yes, and we should know immediately that:

\(\displaystyle \theta=90^{\circ}\)

is a solution corresponding to the intersection with the circle and the line $y=1$. Now, for the other two solutions, in quadrants III and IV, there are several ways you could approach finding them, and what I would do is observe they are symmetric about $270^{\circ}$...and so I would write:

\(\displaystyle \theta=\left(\frac{3\pi}{2}\pm\arccos\left(\frac{1}{3}\right)\right)\frac{180^{\circ}}{\pi}\)

Does that make sense?

MarkFL said:
Yes, and we should know immediately that:

\(\displaystyle \theta=90^{\circ}\)

is a solution corresponding to the intersection with the circle and the line $y=1$. Now, for the other two solutions, in quadrants III and IV, there are several ways you could approach finding them, and what I would do is observe they are symmetric about $270^{\circ}$...and so I would write:

\(\displaystyle \theta=\left(\frac{3\pi}{2}\pm\arccos\left(\frac{1}{3}\right)\right)\frac{180^{\circ}}{\pi}\)

Does that make sense?

wow I am lost there, but i would then solve this equation?

jevanuD said:
wow I am lost there, but i would then solve this equation?

Do you see that the quadrant III and IV solutions are symmetric about $270^{\circ}$?

Another approach we could use is to observe that the two solutions will be of the form:

\(\displaystyle \theta=360^{\circ}-\beta\)

\(\displaystyle \theta=180^{\circ}+\beta\)

Do you see what the reference angle $\beta$ must be?

MarkFL said:
Another approach we could use is to observe that the two solutions will be of the form:

\(\displaystyle \theta=180^{\circ}+\beta\)

Do you see what the reference angle $\beta$ must be?

We've only stated 2 angles 90 and 270, is it either of those?

jevanuD said:
We've only stated 2 angles 90 and 270, is it either of those?

Let's look at the following diagram:

View attachment 8029

Do you see that one of the solutions, the quadrant IV solution must be:

Do you also see that:

\(\displaystyle \sin(\beta)=\frac{1}{3}\)

If you see the above, then what is $\beta$?

Attachments

• jeva_002.png
    jeva_002.png
    4 KB · Views: 61

Related to Is \(\theta=360^\circ-\beta\) When \(\sin(\beta)=\frac{1}{3}\)?

1. What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all possible values of the variables involved. It is used to express the relationship between different trigonometric functions and can be proven using mathematical manipulation or geometric representations.

2. Why is it important to prove trigonometric identities?

Proving trigonometric identities is important because it helps to verify the accuracy of mathematical statements and solve complex equations involving trigonometric functions. It also improves problem-solving skills and understanding of the underlying principles of trigonometry.

3. What are the different methods for proving trigonometric identities?

The most common methods for proving trigonometric identities include using basic algebraic manipulation, converting to a common denominator, using the fundamental identities, and using geometric representations such as the unit circle or right triangle.

4. How do you know if a trigonometric identity is true?

A trigonometric identity is considered true if it is satisfied for all possible values of the variables involved. This can be checked by substituting various values for the variables and verifying that the equation holds true.

5. Can all trigonometric identities be proven?

No, not all trigonometric identities can be proven. Some identities, known as conditional identities, are only true for specific values of the variables involved. These identities cannot be proven using algebraic or geometric methods and require a different approach, such as using calculus or complex numbers.