Is there vacuum tube models for LTspice?

In summary, there are vacuum tube models available for LTspice, a popular simulation software used for electronic circuit design. These models can be found in the built-in library or can be imported from external sources. They allow users to accurately simulate the behavior of vacuum tubes in their circuits, providing a useful tool for circuit design and analysis.
yungman
I know the default library of LTspice don't have vacuum tube model. Does anyone know where I can get one. If not, any other free spice program have vacuum tube models?

The only one I find so far is:

http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/ltspice.html

I tried to follow the instruction and got lost.

Thanks

Alan

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
View attachment 6AU6.zip

Alan,

There are some models of vacuum tubes on the Yahoo Group

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/LTspice/

You may have to be a member to view the files, but this is free and fairly simple, I recall.

Note that Europeans (and Australians) referred to these as "valves", so search for those as well.

You need an ASY file and an INC file which you download and put in the "Special Functions" directory of LTSpice. (you can put them anywhere but this one makes it easy to find them.)
c:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceIV\lib\sym\SpecialFunctions\

To use them, you can choose the diagram from the ASY file by going to the "Special Functions" components.
Then you have to include a Spice directive (under "edit" on the main screen for LTSpice).
You type .inc name-of-file
Or you can just copy the whole contents of the INC file and paste it into the spice directive.
This prints it on the screen but it works OK.

I have attached a different type of file with a .CIR extension.
It is just a text file so you can copy the test starting with "subckt" down to "end" and paste this in as a spice directive. Looks a bit messy on the screen, but it works.

There is data for another tube in that file as well.

Here is a subckt file for a 12ax7 (don't forget the first dot.)
.SUBCKT 12AX7A P G K
E1 2 0 VALUE={45+V(P,K)+95.43*V(G,K)}
R1 2 0 1.0K
Gp P K VALUE={1.147E-6*(PWR(V(2),1.5)+PWRS(V(2),1.5))/2}
Cgk G K 1.6P
Cgp G P 1.7P
Cpk P K 0.46P
.ENDS 12AX7A

Here is one for a 6BM8 pentode:
.SUBCKT 6BM8P A S G K
* Calculate contribution to cathode current
Eat at 0 VALUE={0.636*ATAN(V(A,K)/15)}
Egs gs 0 VALUE={LIMIT{V(S,K)/7+V(G,K)*1.3+V(A,K)/700,0,1E6}}
Egs2 gs2 0 VALUE={PWRS(V(gs),1.24)}
Ecath cc 0 VALUE={V(gs2)*V(at)}
* Calculate anode current
Ga A K VALUE={3.45E-3*V(cc)}
* Calculate screen current
Escrn sc 0 VALUE={V(gs2)*(1.1-V(at))}
Gs S K VALUE={3.7E-3*V(sc)*LIMIT{V(S,K),0,10}/10}
* Capacitances
Cg1 G K 9.6p
Cak A K 9.3p
Cg1a G A 0.35p

.ENDS

I find just pasting these into the Spice directive works well while the INC command gives lots of trouble. Probably me.

Note that there are triode, pentode and tetrode symbols under "MISC" in the components drawer. The 6BM8 works if you choose the tetrode symbol and the above Spice directive for the 6BM8P.
You have to rename the symbol from "tetrode" to "6BM8P" to match the Spice directive.

These are as much fun as shampooing cats, so lots of luck.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll work on this soon.

Alan

Related to Is there vacuum tube models for LTspice?

1. Can I simulate vacuum tube models in LTspice?

Yes, LTspice does have models for vacuum tubes that can be used for simulation purposes.

2. Are the vacuum tube models in LTspice accurate?

The accuracy of the vacuum tube models in LTspice depends on the specific model chosen and the parameters used. It is always recommended to validate the results with real-world measurements.

3. Where can I find vacuum tube models for LTspice?

LTspice has a built-in library of vacuum tube models that can be accessed through the "component browser" or by clicking on the "View" menu and selecting "Library". Additionally, there are various online resources and forums where users share their custom vacuum tube models for LTspice.

4. Can I create my own vacuum tube model in LTspice?

Yes, LTspice allows users to create their own models using the .SUBCKT statement. However, this requires knowledge of the SPICE syntax and characteristics of the specific vacuum tube being modeled.

5. Are there any limitations when using vacuum tube models in LTspice?

LTspice is primarily designed for simulating solid-state devices, so there may be some limitations when simulating vacuum tubes. For example, some advanced features such as secondary emission or grid current may not be accurately captured in the simulation. It is always recommended to verify the results with real-world measurements.