Is there something wrong with this wave concept?

In summary, as the wavelength of a wave in a uniform medium increases, its speed will remain the same while its frequency will decrease. This is due to the inverse relationship between wavelength and frequency, and the fact that the wave speed is determined by the medium and cannot change unless the medium changes. Additionally, this concept is different from refraction, where the wave speed can change at the interface but the frequency cannot. Therefore, as the wavelength decreases, more waves will fit in one second, resulting in a decrease in frequency.
jsun.12

Homework Statement

1. As the wavelength of a wave in a uniform medium increases, its speed will _____.

a. decrease

b. increase

c. remain the same

2. As the wavelength of a wave in a uniform medium increases, its frequency will _____.

a. decrease

b. increase

c. remain the same

Homework Equations

v = λf
f = 1/T
v = λ/T

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I answered B, increase, but it says the answer is C.

2. I answered C, because I know frequency does not change; only the wavelength changes. But then, the answer says it decreases because the wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional.

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem 2 is kind of the answer to problem 1. Since the velocity is constant*frequency*wavelength, if the wavelength goes down the frequency goes up to compensate. The wave still travels with respect to the speed of light in the medium.

Mindscrape said:
Problem 2 is kind of the answer to problem 1. Since the velocity is constant*frequency*wavelength, if the wavelength goes down the frequency goes up to compensate. The wave still travels with respect to the speed of light in the medium.
But I am confused at the moment because what I read is that frequency of a wave does not change, only the wavelength :|.

Frequency is number of waves per second, so if the length of a wave gets smaller then more waves will fit in one second time.

The wave speed is determined by the medium. So, if the medium doesn't change, the speed can't either.

You are confused because you are thinking of *refraction* in which the wave goes from one medium to another different medium. In this case, the wave speed can change at the interface (because the medium has changed), but the frequency cannot change at the interface, becuase if it did, you would be magically gaining or losing wavefronts.

cepheid said:
The wave speed is determined by the medium. So, if the medium doesn't change, the speed can't either.

You are confused because you are thinking of *refraction* in which the wave goes from one medium to another different medium. In this case, the wave speed can change at the interface (because the medium has changed), but the frequency cannot change at the interface, becuase if it did, you would be magically gaining or losing wavefronts.
Oh I get it now lol. The answer I was looking for :P. thx

Mindscrape said:
Frequency is number of waves per second, so if the length of a wave gets smaller then more waves will fit in one second time.
Yeah makes sense. thanks!

Related to Is there something wrong with this wave concept?

1. What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance or oscillation that travels through space and matter, transferring energy from one point to another without permanently displacing the medium through which it travels.

2. Is there only one type of wave?

No, there are many types of waves, including mechanical waves (such as sound waves and seismic waves) and electromagnetic waves (such as light and radio waves).

3. What causes a wave?

A wave is caused by a disturbance or vibration, such as a vibrating object or a force acting on a medium.

4. Can a wave travel through a vacuum?

Electromagnetic waves, such as light, can travel through a vacuum because they do not require a medium to propagate. However, mechanical waves, such as sound waves, require a medium to travel through.

5. How is the energy of a wave related to its frequency and amplitude?

The energy of a wave is directly proportional to its frequency and the square of its amplitude. This means that as the frequency or amplitude increases, the energy of the wave also increases.