Is there is any change in time period if it is done inside accelerating lift?

In summary, the conversation discusses the time period of simple harmonic motion in different scenarios, including a cube of water in a lift with a wooden block floating on its surface, a spring attached to the ceiling of a lift, and a pendulum attached to the ceiling. The equations used to calculate the time period include Archimedes principle and the simple equations of SHM. The conclusion is that the time period may or may not vary depending on the scenario and other factors. The final solution provided by the expert is correct, despite a small spelling mistake.
vkash

Homework Statement

Q1> there is a cube like jar of water kept at the surface of a lift which is moving with an acceleration of a in upward direction. jar is filled with water. There is a cubical block of wood floating on it's surface. It is slightly pressed and released. find the time period of the Simple harmonic motion.(viscosity of liquid is zero)

Q2> A spring is attached to ceiling in lift will it's time period(of oscillations) change with acceletation of life(I think no).

Q3>A pendulum is attached to ceiling will it's time period vary with acceleration.(I think yes T=2πsqrt(l/g))

After all i come to conclusion that "it is mixed one. I mean if it is inside a lift it may or may not have same time period as it had"

Homework Equations

Archimedes principle and Simple equations of SHM.

The Attempt at a Solution

let me say after slight push it's mean position is displaced by x0.
After a distance x below x0 net force acting on the wooden block is dAx(g+a).
here d is density A is base area of block and g is acceleration due to gravity.
F=dAx(g+a) =mω2x (m is mass of block)
from here T(time period)=2πdqrt(m/[dA(g+a)] ).

IF i am wrong somewhere then please alert me.

(recently updated to firefox 9. it is not responding to spelling mistake so if i have done any mistake then please ignore that)

thanks for reading...
waiting for ur valuable reply..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming the acceleration of the lift is meant to be constant with time? In this case, I think you have got all the answers correct :) One spelling mistake though - you've written dqrt, but I think you mean sqrt (i.e. square root).

BruceW said:
I'm assuming the acceleration of the lift is meant to be constant with time? In this case, I think you have got all the answers correct :) One spelling mistake though - you've written dqrt, but I think you mean sqrt (i.e. square root).

thnaks BruceW for answering.
Finally the answer behind the book is wrong and i am correct.

about question 1>, there is also the force of gravity on the wooden block. But you still have the right answer, because this only affects where the point of equilibrium is. Also, the amplitude of oscillation must be small enough that the block doesn't jump out of the water. As long as this is true, then you've got the right answer for the period.

Textbooks sometimes do have wrong answers (usually due to error when the person wrote it). They probably checked it through a few times, but a few mistakes always seem to slip through the net. It shows that you understand the material if you can spot the errors :)

I can provide a response to the content provided.

Firstly, in regards to Q1, the time period of the simple harmonic motion will indeed change if it is done inside an accelerating lift. This is because the acceleration of the lift will affect the forces acting on the cube of water and the block of wood, causing a change in their respective positions and therefore changing the time period of the SHM.

In Q2, the time period of the spring's oscillations will also change with the acceleration of the lift. This is because the acceleration will affect the tension in the spring, which is a key factor in determining the spring's time period.

Finally, in Q3, the time period of the pendulum will indeed vary with acceleration. This is due to the fact that the acceleration of the lift will affect the gravitational force acting on the pendulum, which is a key factor in determining its time period.

Overall, it is important to consider the external factors, such as acceleration, when determining the time period of oscillations or SHM in a given system.

Related to Is there is any change in time period if it is done inside accelerating lift?

1. What is an accelerating lift?

An accelerating lift is a type of elevator that moves with a changing speed or direction, similar to a car accelerating or decelerating. This is different from a standard elevator that moves at a constant speed.

2. How does an accelerating lift affect time period?

An accelerating lift can affect time period by changing the rate at which time passes for objects inside the lift. This can be due to the effects of gravity and acceleration on time as described by Einstein's theory of relativity.

3. Is there a difference in time period when inside an accelerating lift?

Yes, there is a slight difference in time period when inside an accelerating lift compared to being at rest on the ground. This is due to the effects of gravity and acceleration on time as described by Einstein's theory of relativity.

4. How much does the time period change inside an accelerating lift?

The change in time period inside an accelerating lift is very small and is only noticeable in extreme cases, such as in space or near the speed of light. For most everyday scenarios, the difference in time period would be imperceptible.

5. Does the time period change if the lift is accelerating upwards or downwards?

The direction of acceleration does not affect the change in time period inside a lift. The key factor is the magnitude of the acceleration, not the direction. Therefore, the time period would be the same whether the lift is accelerating upwards or downwards.