Is There Evidence for Redshift Drift in High-z Galaxies?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for evidence of z evolution in high z sources over the past 75 years. The speaker has not been able to find relevant references in the NASA database and is seeking assistance in locating additional resources on the subject. They mention the concept of z0 indicating the recessionary speed of a distant source at t0 and the possibility of observing a change in z over a sufficiently large time period. The issue has been considered by researchers such as Sandage in 1961 and Loeb in 1998, but current data confirming redshift drift is not available. Further research and theoretical strategies are being explored, but there is no published data on the subject currently.
ConformalGrpOp
I am interested in locating information of the evidence of z evolution that has been collected of the spectra of relatively high z sources over the previous 75(35) years. Before I get too far into the question, I thought I would try to find what research might have been done on the subject. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find references that seemed to be topical in the NASA database and can't seem to develop a search strategy that doesn't turn up a forest of papers on redshift that are not pertinent to the particular question of the Δz/Δt relationship.

At this point, I have yet to take the time yet to do any calculations to determine if it is even feasible to suppose that such information could be gleaned from the body of source data contained in the high z catalogs given the magnitudes involved, etc. I would appreciate any assistance regarding this particular subject and direction as to where I might find additional resources, papers or study reports that address the question.

If we take z0 as indicating the instantaneous recessionary speed for a distant source measured at t0 (the point in time that the spectra of the distant source was first recorded), then, we might suppose that if the period t1 - t0 is sufficiently large, one would expect that z1 - z0 >> 0, and thus, an observable. I just haven't been able to find any materials that address the issue. Thank you.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The question I raised here does not appear to be addressed in any other thread on PF. The issue was apparently considered by Sandage as early as 1961. At that time, it was concluded that the spectral drift would be impossible to detect with the instruments available. Loeb further investigated the relation in 1998 and concluded that

"...the change in the redshifts of extragalactic objects due to the deceleration of the Universe is not far out of reach of existing spectroscopic instrumentation."
http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/9802122v1.pdf [The paper was apparently prepared prior to the publication of the results of the Type 1a SNe studies].

At first blush, it appears that a good review of the subject is given in the following paper posted on arxiv. http://arxiv.org/pdf/1011.2646.pdf. There are a number of papers posted on arxiv on the subject, investigating various theoretical strategies for discriminating between various versions of the standard model, and plausible alternatives.

But, it does appear that there is no currently published data on the books confirming the reality of redshift drift. If this is not correct, I would welcome references and/or further insights into the subject. Thank you.

Related to Is There Evidence for Redshift Drift in High-z Galaxies?

1. What is D(z)/d(t) of high z galaxies?

D(z)/d(t) of high z galaxies is a measure of the rate of change of the distance of a galaxy with respect to time. It is often used in cosmology to study the expansion of the universe and the evolution of galaxies over time.

2. How is D(z)/d(t) of high z galaxies calculated?

The calculation of D(z)/d(t) of high z galaxies involves using mathematical models and equations, such as the Hubble parameter and the Friedmann equations, to determine the distance and time components. This calculation can also be affected by factors such as the cosmological model and the properties of the galaxy being studied.

3. What is the significance of studying D(z)/d(t) of high z galaxies?

Studying D(z)/d(t) of high z galaxies can provide valuable insights into the evolution and behavior of the universe. It can help us understand the expansion rate of the universe, the formation and evolution of galaxies, and the effects of dark energy and dark matter on the universe.

4. How does the value of D(z)/d(t) change for different types of galaxies?

The value of D(z)/d(t) can vary for different types of galaxies, as it is influenced by factors such as the mass, size, and distance of the galaxy. For example, larger and more massive galaxies may have a higher D(z)/d(t) value compared to smaller and less massive galaxies.

5. What are the limitations of using D(z)/d(t) in studying high z galaxies?

One of the main limitations of using D(z)/d(t) in studying high z galaxies is the uncertainty and complexity of the calculations involved. This can be affected by various factors, such as the accuracy of the measurements and the assumptions made in the models used. Additionally, the value of D(z)/d(t) may also be affected by observational biases and selection effects.