Is there cyclic motion of galaxies?

In summary, galaxies and their orientation with regards to filaments and walls seems to be a common occurrence.
lazypast
Im aware that the planets in our solar system all orbit the sun on the same plane. and if we look at the milky way all the stars are aligned on the same plane. if we go out one further (ie to look at galaxies) , I am wondering if the motion of galaxies and how they are aligned has any structure.

thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
lazypast said:
Im aware that the planets in our solar system all orbit the sun on the same plane. and if we look at the milky way all the stars are aligned on the same plane. if we go out one further (ie to look at galaxies) , I am wondering if the motion of galaxies and how they are aligned has any structure.

thanks
I'll try to dig up the link, but in a recent thread started by Astronuc regarding large-scale structures in the Universe, there was a link to a study showing that galaxy rotation axes were preferentially aligned with the filaments and walls in which they are embedded.

I can't seem to dig up the thread. Perhaps Astro didn't start it... I'll keep trying.

I know that some galaxies do orbit each other! But that's as far as our cosmos module has taught us :(

Thanks for the replies, I am not sure of what these filaments and wall are that turbo mentions?
Thanks

Our universe has structures on very large scales. There are groups of galaxies arranged in sheets and filaments, and there are some very large voids that are nearly empty of galaxies. From the abstract, it seems that the authors studied sheets of galaxies bordering voids and discovered that the spin axes of the galaxies in the sheets were preferentially aligned WRT to the orientation of the sheets.

Maybe this is accurate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFlzyxSQhTc

Related to Is there cyclic motion of galaxies?

1. What is cyclic motion of galaxies?

Cyclic motion of galaxies refers to the regular and repetitive movement of galaxies in their respective orbits. This motion is driven by the gravitational pull of other galaxies and dark matter.

2. How do we know that galaxies have cyclic motion?

Scientists use various methods, such as observing the redshift and blueshift of galaxies, to measure their motion and determine if it is cyclic. Additionally, computer simulations and mathematical models also support the idea of cyclic motion in galaxies.

3. What is the significance of cyclic motion in understanding the universe?

Cyclic motion is crucial in understanding the structure and evolution of the universe. It helps us study the distribution of matter and the formation of structures like galaxy clusters. It also provides insights into the expansion of the universe and the role of dark matter.

4. Do all galaxies have the same type of cyclic motion?

No, the type of cyclic motion can vary between galaxies. Some galaxies may have a more circular orbit, while others may have a more elliptical or irregular orbit. These differences can be influenced by the surrounding environment and the mass distribution within the galaxy itself.

5. Can cyclic motion of galaxies change over time?

Yes, the cyclic motion of galaxies can change over time due to various reasons. For example, interactions with other galaxies, mergers, and collisions can alter the orbit of a galaxy. Additionally, the expansion of the universe can also have an impact on the motion of galaxies over time.