Is there any smart material that gets lighter/heavier?

• Thread starter WakaShocka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, a small black hole may be the solution to generating energy without the costs associated with shipping it up from the sun.
WakaShocka
Hi PF,

This could possibly be through a change in size or density...Maybe even programmable matter. I've tried some googling but haven't found anything on actually changing the weight through putting a current through something. It would be extremely useful for my personal hobby. Even through a change in temperature, not necessarily a current would maybe be acceptable. It doesn't have to be anything too big, just a few millimeters/centimeters in size, but some sort of material or substance that can change its weight (preferably without expanding too much, but that would still be interesting to) when a current runs through it or the temp changes..
If you guys have heard of anything like this, let me know!

Science news on Phys.org
WakaShocka said:
Hi PF,

This could possibly be through a change in size or density...Maybe even programmable matter. I've tried some googling but haven't found anything on actually changing the weight through putting a current through something. It would be extremely useful for my personal hobby. Even through a change in temperature, not necessarily a current would maybe be acceptable. It doesn't have to be anything too big, just a few millimeters/centimeters in size, but some sort of material or substance that can change its weight (preferably without expanding too much, but that would still be interesting to) when a current runs through it or the temp changes..
You could use a solenoid to increase or decrease the volume of an enclosure, or you could use memory metal to do a similar thing. What is the application?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape-memory_alloy

:smile:

WakaShocka said:
Hi PF,

Hot air balloons.

Likes russ_watters and cosmik debris
berkeman said:
What is the application? :smile:
I'm looking to have some sort of material that I can make lighter/heavier on demand to create a weight imbalance in my device (it isn't very large-no more than a few centimeters).

Many materials change density with current (eg a lightbulb filament) but changing weight would break the law of conservation of mass.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_mass
What you want can't be done.

If you explain exactly what you are trying to do (with diagrams perhaps) and why, we may have more realistic solutions.

WakaShocka said:
I'm looking to have some sort of material that I can make lighter/heavier on demand to create a weight imbalance in my device (it isn't very large-no more than a few centimeters).
Kind of like one of these sipping bird toys?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.teachersource.com/images/products/pop/db100.jpg
db100.jpg

Or are you working on an Over-Unity Energy Generation Mechanism?

Likes russ_watters
billy_joule said:
Many materials change density with current (eg a lightbulb filament) but changing weight would break the law of conservation of mass.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_mass
What you want can't be done.

If you explain exactly what you are trying to do (with diagrams perhaps) and why, we may have more realistic solutions.
but what about a mechanism that translates energy to mass?? wouldn't that work somehow?

Mrdoupi said:
but what about a mechanism that translates energy to mass?? wouldn't that work somehow?
E=mc2 is a well known formula. You would need a heck of a lot of energy to change the mass by 1gram. (1014 joules)

Unfortunately, without some more context, this thread can go nowhere.

Likes russ_watters
sophiecentaur said:
E=mc2 is a well known formula. You would need a heck of a lot of energy to change the mass by 1gram. (1014 joules)

Unfortunately, without some more context, this thread can go nowhere.
lets smash the sun then

Mrdoupi said:
lets smash the sun then
If the objective is to generate energy, then there are unavoidable costs involved with shipping the energy up from the sun. Or exploited for a net gain when that energy is moved about within the Earth's gravitational well.

If you can blow up the sun, powering a dipping bird may not be high on your list of tasks remaining to be accomplished.

You may be better served creating a small black hole and harvesting energy as you drop breadcrumbs in. Be careful how big you make it. If you start at 1,000 metric tons, Hawking evaporation will take only 46 seconds. This is like 2 million Hiroshima sized bombs going off per second for 46 seconds.

https://www.vttoth.com/CMS/physics-notes/311-hawking-radiation-calculator

You are going to need to drop breadcrumbs in at [very roughly] 20 metric tons per second just to break even and keep the debacle from getting worse.

Things get a bit easier if you start at 1,000,000 metric tons. Then you have about 1400 years to add another 1,000,000 metric tons and keep things stable.

Last edited:
Likes Ibix and russ_watters
Mrdoupi said:
lets smash the sun then
Welcome to PF, @Mrdoupi

Please try to avoid resurrecting years-old threads with whimsical thoughts. This old thread is now tied off with the helpful reply by @jbriggs444

Related to Is there any smart material that gets lighter/heavier?

1. Is there any smart material that can change its weight?

Yes, there are several smart materials that have the ability to change their weight. These materials are known as shape-memory materials and they can change their shape, volume, and weight in response to external stimuli.

2. How does a smart material change its weight?

A smart material changes its weight through a process called "shape-memory effect". This effect is triggered by a change in temperature, pressure, or other external factors, causing the material to change its molecular structure and thus its weight.

3. What are some examples of smart materials that can change their weight?

Some examples of smart materials that can change their weight include shape-memory alloys, polymers, and gels. These materials are used in a variety of applications such as aerospace engineering, biomedical devices, and consumer products.

4. Can a smart material get lighter and heavier at the same time?

No, a smart material cannot get lighter and heavier at the same time. The change in weight of a smart material depends on the type of external stimuli it receives. For example, if the temperature increases, the material will get lighter, but if the temperature decreases, it will get heavier.

5. Are there any limitations to the weight change of smart materials?

Yes, there are some limitations to the weight change of smart materials. The amount of weight change depends on the type of material and the external stimuli it receives. Additionally, the weight change may not be significant enough to be noticeable in some applications.