Is there any reason the Universe must have a wave function?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the universe must have a wave function and how it can be proven. It is mentioned that isolated physical systems have a wave function and the same reasoning can be applied to the universe. The applicability of quantum mechanics to the universe is also brought up. The conversation ends with a disclaimer about the validity of the argument for macroscopic systems.
C Rob
I believe it does, but I'm having a debate with someone and I'm trying to prove why the universe must have a wave function. I was under impression the best equations for describing our universe involve it having it's own wave but he's asserting it doesn't need one. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
An isolated physical system will have a wavefunction. So particle-in-a-box has a wavefunction. Now make it two-particles-in-a-box. The wavefunction of that system is distinct from that of the first system. Same goes for many-particles-a-box; distinct wavefunction from that of the previous two systems. Now let our isolated system be the universe. Therefore, by the same reasoning, the universe has a wavefunction.

Disclaimer: I feel that decoherence makes the above argument invalid for macroscopic systems. Maybe someone else can shed some more light on this.

C Rob said:
I believe it does, but I'm having a debate with someone and I'm trying to prove why the universe must have a wave function. I was under impression the best equations for describing our universe involve it having it's own wave but he's asserting it doesn't need one. Can anyone help me?

That depends on whether you think quantum mechanics is applicable to the universe or not.

The title of this thread is that same as the title of a thread in the Beyond the Standard Model forum. I have locked the thread here, and I have copied the posts in the thread here into the thread there. Any replies should be made there.

Last edited:

Related to Is there any reason the Universe must have a wave function?

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical function used in quantum mechanics to describe the probability of finding a particle in a particular state. It represents the quantum state of a physical system and can be used to calculate the probability of different outcomes of a measurement.

2. Why is a wave function important in understanding the Universe?

A wave function is important in understanding the Universe because it is used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It helps us understand how particles behave and interact with each other, which in turn helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and the structure of the Universe.

3. Is there any experimental evidence for the existence of a wave function in the Universe?

Yes, there is significant experimental evidence for the existence of a wave function in the Universe. The behavior of particles at the quantum level, such as the double-slit experiment, can only be explained by using a wave function. Additionally, many technological advancements, such as transistors and lasers, rely on the principles of quantum mechanics that are described by the wave function.

4. Can the wave function of the Universe change over time?

Yes, the wave function of the Universe can change over time. In quantum mechanics, the wave function is constantly evolving and changing as particles interact with each other. This is known as wave function collapse, where the wave function of a system changes to a single state after a measurement is made.

5. Are there any alternative theories to explain the behavior of particles without using a wave function?

There are some alternative theories, such as the pilot-wave theory, that propose different ways to describe the behavior of particles without using a wave function. However, these theories are not widely accepted and do not have as much evidence supporting them as the standard wave function interpretation in quantum mechanics.