Is there any reaction happens when calcium ion added to calcium hydroxide?

In summary: No, that's a different situation. You mentioned "diluted ammonia", I have specifically called for concentrated CaCl2.
Green18
Silly question lol
But Is there any reaction if calcium ion added to calcium hydroxide?

If NaOH or any alkali is added to metal ions, insoluble metal hydroxide is formed.
So, what if weak alkali Calcium hydroxide is added to Calcium ion, what will it happen? Will it has no reaction just like it is added to ammonia solution with the reason of concentration of OH{-} in dilute ammonia is low? Or it becomes part of the calcium hydroxide?Or calcium hydroxide white percipitate will form?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Depends on the initial concentrations. Such a solution is described by the solubility product. Have you heard about it yet?

Borek said:
Depends on the initial concentrations. Such a solution is described by the solubility product. Have you heard about it yet?
Ummm no, haven't heard about it :(
It's about the initial concentration. Does it mean (let say we have Ca(OH)2 and CaCl2) if the Ca(OH)2 has a relative high concentration, then it can form insoluble Ca(OH)2?

Yes, you should be able to precipitate Ca(OH)2 from the Ca(OH)2 solution just by adding concentrated CaCl2.

However, you can't have Ca(OH)2 with a "relatively high concentration". Ca(OH)2 is weakly soluble, below 2 g per 1L if memory serves me well.

Likes Green18
I see :) Thank you so much! :)

Borek said:
Yes, you should be able to precipitate Ca(OH)2 from the Ca(OH)2 solution just by adding concentrated CaCl2.

However, you can't have Ca(OH)2 with a "relatively high concentration". Ca(OH)2 is weakly soluble, below 2 g per 1L if memory serves me well.
Uh! But …since the concentration of Ca(OH)2 can't be high, than its concentration of OH- (aq) ions in dil. Ca(OH)2 must be low, then, wouldn't it have the same situation as it reacts with dil aqueous ammonia, and does not give precipitate?

No, that's a different situation. You mentioned "diluted ammonia", I have specifically called for concentrated CaCl2.

Doesn't mean concentrated ammonia will be able to precipitate Ca(OH)2. It is rather easy to calculate, but using theory that you don't know yet.

Ohh (facepalm) sorry for my misunderstanding. Ok, i will let go of it then :p

1. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between calcium ion and calcium hydroxide?

The chemical equation for this reaction is Ca2+ + 2OH- → Ca(OH)2.

2. Is the reaction between calcium ion and calcium hydroxide exothermic or endothermic?

The reaction between calcium ion and calcium hydroxide is exothermic, meaning it releases heat.

3. How does the addition of calcium ion affect the pH of calcium hydroxide?

The addition of calcium ion does not significantly affect the pH of calcium hydroxide, as calcium hydroxide is already a strong base with a high pH.

4. What are the products of the reaction between calcium ion and calcium hydroxide?

The products of the reaction are calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) and water (H2O).

5. Is this reaction reversible?

No, this reaction is not reversible as the products (calcium hydroxide and water) are stable and will not react to reform the reactants (calcium ion and calcium hydroxide).