Is there any mechanism for learning p block reactions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of rote memorization versus having a mechanism for understanding chemical reactions. Specific examples of ion exchange reactions are given, with the conclusion that some reactions must be memorized. The complexity of certain reactions, such as those involving phosphorus, is acknowledged. The conversation also mentions the use of nitric acid as an oxidizing agent and the importance of studying chemistry for a deeper understanding.
Raghav Gupta
Do we have to rote memorize it or is there mechanism so that we can learn it easily?
There are some ion exchange reactions which are simple like NaCl + H2O-------> NaOH+ HCl.
but for example what about this?
P4 + NaOH + H2O----> ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Raghav Gupta said:
NaCl + H2O-------> NaOH+ HCl

No such reaction. If anything, it should be reversed and it falls into "acids and hydroxides react producing salts and water".

P4 + NaOH + H2O----> ?

Nope, this is one of the things you have to remember.

I don't. Phosphorus is a hell of a beast when it comes to to possible oxyacids.

Raghav Gupta said:
There are some ion exchange reactions which are simple like NaCl + H2O-------> NaOH+ HCl.
HaHaHah My so silly mistake.

Now some reactions for example. Does they have any mechanism which one can explain?
I2 + HNO3---->?
C + HNO3---->?
S8 + HNO3---->?

Nitric acid is a strong oxidizing agent, which is an obvious pointer what to expect. Whether it is strong enough to oxidize iodine is another question, one that will need consulting redox potential tables.

Final product of carbon oxidation is rather clear, whether the sulfur gets oxidized to oxides or sulfate may depend on conditions.

In general - there are no simple rules for everything, if there were such rules, you will not have to study chemistry for years, just two weeks would be enough.

Thanks.
I think the school tells us to memorize all this reactions so that in future we are a bit acquainted with it to understand further about it.

Related to Is there any mechanism for learning p block reactions?

1. What is the p block in chemistry?

The p block is a group of elements in the periodic table that includes the elements in groups 13-18. These elements have valence electrons in the p orbital of their outermost energy level.

2. What are some examples of p block elements?

Some examples of p block elements include carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, fluorine, and chlorine. These elements make up the majority of the elements in the periodic table.

3. Why is it important to learn p block reactions?

P block reactions are important to learn because they involve elements that are commonly found in our daily lives, such as carbon and oxygen. Understanding these reactions can help us better understand and predict chemical reactions and their applications in various industries.

4. Is there a specific mechanism for learning p block reactions?

There is no specific mechanism for learning p block reactions. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of the periodic table, bonding, and electron configurations in order to understand and predict p block reactions.

5. How can I improve my understanding of p block reactions?

To improve your understanding of p block reactions, it is helpful to practice and review concepts related to the periodic table, bonding, and electron configurations. You can also read about real-world applications of p block elements and their reactions, and perform experiments to observe these reactions in action.