Is There an IC that Can Multiply the Frequency of a Sinusoidal Signal?

In summary: This will create a square wave at 20kHz, then you can use a low-pass filter to smooth out the edges and get a sinusoidal wave. In summary, there are ICs available that can multiply the frequency of a sinusoidal signal, such as the ones from MiniCircuits or using Gilbert cell ICs. However, if all you want is a 20kHz signal, you can simply start with DC as a power supply for your oscillator circuit and use a low-pass filter to get a sinusoidal wave.
seang
Are there any ICs that multiply the frequency of a sinusoidal signal? I have 60Hz signal coming in, and I'd like to make it say...a 20khz signal. Is there an IC that can do this?

Right now I'm just rectifying the 60Hz signal, then using it to drive an oscillator (555 timer in astable mode really). It works fine, but it seems like I shouldn't have to do all this.

I know that modulation ICs exist, but then, I'd have to set up a sinusoid of a different frequency, and I've opened up a new can of worms, I think.

Suggestions are welcome
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
seang said:
Are there any ICs that multiply the frequency of a sinusoidal signal? I have 60Hz signal coming in, and I'd like to make it say...a 20khz signal. Is there an IC that can do this?

So what exactly are you wanting to do. Just make a continuous wave (CW) signal at 20kHz? Or amplitude modulate (AM) a 20kHz carrier signal with the 60Hz waveform's envelope? Or transfer AM information from the 60Hz waveform to the 20kHz waveform?

I just want a 20Khz signal--no modulation or anything. I'm not sure what you mean by transferring information, but I'm pretty sure I don't want that.

I just thought, maybe, since I already have a sinusoidal signal, I could just bump up the frequency somehow. That's turning out not to be the case, heh.

EDIT: for this modulation IC you've linked me to (LM1496), I'd need to create another signal (to the be the carrier) anyway, right? I'd sort of be back where I started. ?

Last edited:
seang said:
I just want a 20Khz signal--no modulation or anything. I'm not sure what you mean by transferring information, but I'm pretty sure I don't want that.

I just thought, maybe, since I already have a sinusoidal signal, I could just bump up the frequency somehow. That's turning out not to be the case, heh.

EDIT: for this modulation IC you've linked me to (LM1496), I'd need to create another signal (to the be the carrier) anyway, right? I'd sort of be back where I started. ?

Yes, if all you want is a 20kHz signal, then start with DC as a power supply to your oscillator circuit.

Related to Is There an IC that Can Multiply the Frequency of a Sinusoidal Signal?

1. What is a frequency multiplication IC?

A frequency multiplication IC is an integrated circuit that takes an input signal and outputs a signal that is a multiple of the input frequency. It is typically used in electronic circuits to generate higher frequency signals for various applications.

2. How does a frequency multiplication IC work?

A frequency multiplication IC works by using a series of electronic components such as transistors, capacitors, and resistors to manipulate and amplify the input signal. The output signal is then a multiple of the input frequency, depending on the design of the IC.

3. What are the benefits of using a frequency multiplication IC?

There are several benefits of using a frequency multiplication IC, including the ability to generate higher frequency signals without the need for bulky external components. It also allows for more precise control and tuning of the output frequency.

4. What types of applications use frequency multiplication ICs?

Frequency multiplication ICs are commonly used in applications such as radio communication, wireless devices, and electronic testing equipment. They are also used in various industrial and scientific instruments that require precise and stable high-frequency signals.

5. How do I choose the right frequency multiplication IC for my project?

The right frequency multiplication IC for your project will depend on several factors such as the desired output frequency, input voltage, and required accuracy. It is important to carefully read the specifications and datasheet of the IC to ensure it meets your project's requirements.