Is there an easy way to calculate this problem?

• Thread starter goonking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a bouncy ball being dropped from a window and bouncing multiple times. It is determined that the ball loses 9% of its kinetic energy each time it bounces and that the relationship between the k-th height and the k+1 height can be represented by a sequence where each height is 0.91 times the previous height. Using this information, it is possible to find the maximum number of bounces the ball can make before reaching a height lower than half of the original window height. This can be found by taking the logarithm of the inequality and solving for k, which would give the maximum value of k as 0.7935.
goonking

Homework Statement

A Bouncy ball is dropped from a window, 28.7 meters above the ground. It bounces inelastically off the ground and bounces up again, but not as high as it stated out. If it looses 9 percent of its kinetic energy every time it hits the ground, how many times can it bounce, and still have a maximum height greater than half the original window height.

Homework Equations

1/2 mv^2 = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I know it loses 9% of its kinetic energy, the potential will be lowered by 9% each time the ball bounces also.

So I did 28.7 - (0.09 x 28.7) = 26.1

then 26.1 - (0.09 x 2.61) = 23.76

then 23.76 - (0.09 x 23.76) = 21.627

and so on, I keep repeating this until I get an answer below 28.7 / 2 = 14.35 meters.

And after all that, I get the answer to be 7 bounces.Is there a faster way to do this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is, how many times can it bounce, and still have a maximum height greater than half the original window height.
The seventh bounce produces less height than half the initial. Count the bounces till the height is still greater than half the initial height, but the next bounce produces less than the half.
What is the relation between the k-th height and the k+1 height? What sequence do the heights make?

ehild said:
The question is, how many times can it bounce, and still have a maximum height greater than half the original window height.
Count the bounces till the height is still greater than half the initial height, but the next bounce produce less than the half.
What is the relation between the k-th height and the k+1 height? What sequence do the heights make?
what is k-th and k+1?

k represents the k-th bounce. It is just a positive integer. For example, the height after the third bounce is 0.91 times the height after the second bounce.

Last edited:
ehild said:
k represents the k-th bounce. It is just a positive integer. For example, the height after the third bounce is 0.9 times the height after the second bounce.
the previous bounce is always 1.01 times higher.

28.7/26.11 = 1.01

26.11/23.76= 1.01

23.76/21.62 = 1.01
etc etc

so I can just keep dividing by 1.01 to get a new height.

Why do you divide by 1.01? If the energy loss is 9 percent it means that the energy after the next bounce is 0.91 times the previous one. Dividing by 1.01 produces 0.99 times the previous one, which is 1 percent loss.

The next bounce is 0.91 times the previous one. Considering the heights as a sequence h0, h1, h2... hk what is the relation between one term and the next one? What kind of sequence is it?

ehild said:
Why do you divide by 1.01? If the energy loss is 9 percent it means that the energy after the next bounce is 0.91 times the previous one. Dividing by 1.01 produces 0.99 times the previous one, which is 1 percent loss.

The next bounce is 0.91 times the previous one. Considering the heights as a sequence h0, h1, h2... hk what is the relation between one term and the next one? What kind of sequence is it?
oh, I am sorry, I meant 1.1, not 1.01.

Instead of dividing, use multiplication. Loosing 9 % means that 91% remains. Dividing by 1.1 means that 90.90909...% remains.They are not the same.
So how do you get the height after the first bounce from the initial height? How do you get the height after the second bounce?

ehild said:
Instead of dividing, use multiplication. Loosing 9 % means that 91% remains. Dividing by 1.1 means that 90.90909...% remains.They are not the same.
So how do you get the height after the first bounce from the initial height? How do you get the height after the second bounce?
first height times 0.91 gives new height , then we just keep repeating?

Keeps repeating. How many times is the second height of the initial height? How many times is the third height of the initial height? How many times is the k-th height of the initial height?

ah
ehild said:
Keeps repeating. How many times is the second height of the initial height? How many times is the third height of the initial height? How many times is the k-th height of the initial height?
the first bounce is 0.91 times the initial height, and the 2nd bounce is 0.82 times the initial , and the 3rd bounce is .73 the initial.

I'm assuming k-th is the height we want it at, which is 14.35 which is .5 times the initial.

goonking said:
ah

the first bounce is 0.91 times the initial height, and the 2nd bounce is 0.82 times the initial , and the 3rd bounce is .73 the initial.

How is it symbolically? If the initial height is H the first is
h1= H*0.91,
the second is
h2=H*0.91*0.91=H*0.912,
the third is
h3=H*0.913,
the k-th is
hk=H*0.91k.

So you have the relation

hk ≥ 0.5 .

What is the maximum value of k so as the inequality is valid? How do you express k with logarithm?

ehild said:
logarithm
log(14.35)/log(28.7) = .7935

is that it?

No. Take the logarithm of both sides what do you get?

ehild said:
No. Take the logarithm of both sides what do you get?
you mean log h^k ≥ log 0.5

?

Yes. Do you know how to take the logarithm of something on the k-th power?

ehild said:
Yes. Do you know how to take the logarithm of something on the k-th power?
Sadly, no. I will just look it up.

Haven't you studied logarithm yet?

ehild said:
Haven't you studied logarithm yet?
yes, but it was a while ago and somethings have been forgotten

log(a b) = log (a) +log(b)
log(a/b) = log (a)-log (b)

log (ak) = k log(a) ... :smile:

ehild said:
log(a b) = log (a) +log(b)
log(a/b) = log (a)-log (b)

log (ak) = k log(a) ... :smile:
what do the eclipses mean?

you mean the dt
goonking said:
what do the eclipses mean?
you mean the dots? They mean only that there are some more identities.

Related to Is there an easy way to calculate this problem?

1) Can I use a calculator to solve this problem?

Yes, depending on the complexity of the problem, a calculator may be a helpful tool to use for calculations.

2) Are there any shortcuts or tricks to make this calculation easier?

It depends on the specific problem, but there are certain mathematical concepts and formulas that can make calculations easier. It is best to consult with a math expert or do some research to determine if there are any applicable shortcuts for your specific problem.

3) Is there a specific formula or equation I should use to solve this problem?

Again, it depends on the problem at hand. There are many different formulas and equations that can be used for different types of calculations. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and determine which formula or equation is most appropriate for solving it.

4) Can I solve this problem without any prior knowledge or understanding of math?

It is unlikely that you will be able to solve a math problem without any prior knowledge or understanding of math. However, you can always seek help from a math expert or use online resources to learn the necessary concepts and skills to solve the problem.

5) Are there any online tools or software that can help me calculate this problem?

Yes, there are many online tools and software available that can help you with various math calculations. However, it is important to double-check the accuracy of the results and understand how the tool or software is performing the calculation.