Is there an easier way to factor these polynomials?

In summary: Just the ones in the Real numbers.In summary, the person is trying to figure out if there is a shortcut to solving equations. They have two equations, and they are not sure how to solve them. They think there may be a shortcut method but they are not sure what it is. They ask for help and provide two equations.
Byrgg
I have two equations, I'm pretty sure I can solve them, but the method I know of is was too long, and I've never had to use very long methods to solve any problems so far. I'm wondering if there's some shortcut method that I don't know, or that I'm forgetting. Here are the equations(I have solve for x):

1. [itex]x^6 - 26x^3 - 27 = 0[/itex]

2. [itex](x^2 + 2x)^2 - (x^2 + 2x) -12 = 0[/itex]

For 1, I thought of doing this:

[itex]x^3(x^3 - 26) - 27 = 0[/itex]

That was all I could come up with, I'm not sure what to do next.

As for 2, I did this:

[itex]x^4 + 4x^3 + 4x^2 - x^2 - 2x - 12 = 0[/itex]
[itex]x^4 + 4x^3 + 3x^2 -2x -12 = 0[/itex]

That's as far as I could get, I figred I could get the factors by continuosly long dividing the polynomial by a factor I could find using the factor theore, but I didn't really want to have do that much work, isn't there a shortcut method? A way of grouping them or something? I'm wondering this about both of the equations. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Let t = x3 then solve for t.

Think about what you just did then apply it to #2

Integral said:
1. Let t = x3 then solve for t.

Think about what you just did then apply it to #2

What t are you talking about? I don't see a t in either of the problems.

It is called a substitution. Let t= x3 then work in t, you introduce a new variable.

Oh, I was reading it wrong, ok, so I do it like this?

[itex]t(t -26) - 27 = 0[/itex]
[itex]t^2 - 26t - 27 = 0[/itex]

And then what do I do, solve it like a quadratic?

Like a 5yr old learning to ride a bike. I have just given you a push... now... PEDAL.

Integral said:
Like a 5yr old learning to ride a bike. I have just given you a push... now... PEDAL.

:smile:

(extra characters)

I guess that means I should continue with my thinking?

[itex]t^2 - 26 - 27 = 0[/itex]
[itex](t - 27)(t + 1) = 0[/itex]

[itex](t - 27) = 0[/itex]
[itex]x^3 - 27 = 0[/itex]
[itex](x - 3)(x^2 + 3x + 9)[/itex]

[itex](t + 1) = 0[/itex]
[itex]x^3 + 1 = 0[/itex]
[itex](x + 1)(x^2 - 1x + 1)[/itex]

Is that right so far? Do I just continue doing what I was doing?

Yes, now put them back together!

HallsofIVy said:
Yes, now put them back together!

What do you mean by "put them back together"? Don't I have to continue breaking them down to solve for the roots? Sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying.

Are you looking for ALL solutions or just the ones in the Real numbers?

Related to Is there an easier way to factor these polynomials?

1. How do I factor polynomials?

To factor a polynomial, first look for common factors among all the terms. Then, use techniques such as grouping, difference of squares, and trinomial factoring to factor the remaining terms.

2. Is there a shortcut or easier way to factor polynomials?

Yes, there are a few techniques that can make factoring polynomials easier. These include the AC method, which involves finding the product and sum of the first and last terms, and the box method, which can be helpful for factoring polynomials with four terms.

3. Can I use a calculator to factor polynomials?

Yes, there are many online calculators and software programs that can factor polynomials for you. However, it is important to also understand the concept of factoring and be able to do it by hand.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when factoring polynomials?

Some common mistakes when factoring polynomials include forgetting to check for common factors, mixing up signs or terms, and not properly factoring out the greatest common factor. It is important to double check your work and factor systematically to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I practice and improve my polynomial factoring skills?

One way to practice factoring polynomials is to solve various practice problems and check your answers. You can also watch online tutorials or attend math workshops to learn different factoring techniques and strategies. Additionally, regularly reviewing and practicing factoring can help improve your skills over time.