Is There an Easier Method to Solve Problems Involving Image Charges?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the method of image charges to solve a problem involving two parallel plates and the difficulty of finding the electric field at the surface of the plates. The method of images involves placing a few charges, not an infinite number, to generate an E field perpendicular to the plates. The conversation also mentions the use of Green Reciprocity Theorem and how it relates to the problem.
Saitama

Homework Statement

(see attachment)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i need to use method of image charges here but if i do that, i need to place infinite fictitious charges and finding the electric field at the surface of any of the plate would be very difficult. Is there any easier method to solve this problem?

Attachments

• charges.jpg
    charges.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i need to use method of image charges here but if i do that, i need to place infinite fictitious charges and finding the electric field at the surface of any of the plate would be very difficult. Is there any easier method to solve this problem?

Edit:

Sorry Pranav in my haste there I thought you had made a mistake when it was me. There is an infinite sequence of image charges. I would be tempted to do an infinite series summation of the voltage on each plate. Other than that nothing simpler is coming to my mind... maybe someone else will have an idea.====

The method of images is the right way to go if you can assume the plates are grounded.

You will only have to place a few charges (more than two!), not an infinite number. This is because you know the E field will be perpendicular to the plates (edit: at the plates!). So if you have a + charge located at distance x from plate 1, placing a - charge a distance x below plate 1 will generate an E field perpendicular to plate 1 at plate 1. Then look at the E field caused by that charge at distance x on plate 2. Another - charge placed can cause that E field to be perpendicular to plate 2.

The trickier bit is you are not done yet. This is because the new charges you placed cause E fields on the opposite plate. So the -ve charge you placed for plate 1 will also cause a field on plate 2. How would you go about making sure the field it causes on plate 2 is also perpendicular to plate 2?

Last edited:
aralbrec said:
The method of images is the right way to go if you can assume the plates are grounded.

You will only have to place a few charges (more than two!), not an infinite number. This is because you know the E field will be perpendicular to the plates (edit: at the plates!). So if you have a + charge located at distance x from plate 1, placing a - charge a distance x below plate 1 will generate an E field perpendicular to plate 1 at plate 1. Then look at the E field caused by that charge at distance x on plate 2. Another - charge placed can cause that E field to be perpendicular to plate 2.

The trickier bit is you are not done yet. This is because the new charges you placed cause E fields on the opposite plate. So the -ve charge you placed for plate 1 will also cause a field on plate 2. How would you go about making sure the field it causes on plate 2 is also perpendicular to plate 2?

How does this help in making the problem any easier?

This question is from the problem book by I.E.Irodov. I have a book written by him "Basic laws of electromagnetism". This book has a solved problem similar to this one. In that, the author replaces the charge with a uniformly charged plane parallel to the plates. I would like to know why this is valid.

Anyone?

Read this: http://physicspages.com/2012/04/02/greens-reciprocity-theorem/

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
Read this: http://physicspages.com/2012/04/02/greens-reciprocity-theorem/

ehild

One of the similar threads at PF redirected me to Green Reciprocity Theorem. I tried to study it but I can't understand it. This isn't too much necessary for my current syllabus, moreover method of image charges is also not in my syllabus. I was doing this as an additional exercise, this is the only problem i had difficulty with. Thanks for the help anyways. :smile:

Related to Is There an Easier Method to Solve Problems Involving Image Charges?

What is the Method of Image charges?

The Method of Image charges is a technique used in electrostatics to solve problems involving conductors and insulators. It involves creating an imaginary point charge, known as an image charge, to model the behavior of a real charge in the presence of conductors or insulators.

Why is the Method of Image charges used?

The Method of Image charges is used because it simplifies the problem of calculating electric potential and fields in the presence of conductors and insulators. It allows for the use of familiar equations and techniques from basic electrostatics rather than more complex methods.

How is the Method of Image charges applied?

The Method of Image charges is applied by placing the image charge at a location that satisfies the boundary conditions of the problem. This means that the electric potential and electric field at the surface of the conductor or insulator must be the same for both the real and image charge.

What are the limitations of the Method of Image charges?

The Method of Image charges can only be used for problems involving conductors and insulators. It cannot be applied to problems involving charged particles in a vacuum or in other media. Additionally, it is only an approximation and may not accurately model the behavior of real charges in all situations.

Can the Method of Image charges be used for 3D problems?

Yes, the Method of Image charges can be extended to three-dimensional problems by creating multiple image charges to model the behavior of a real charge. However, this can become more complex and may require the use of more advanced mathematical techniques.