Is there a way to simplify this integral involving an exponential function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating or simplifying the integral ##\int_a^b{f(t)e^{t}}dt##, where ##f(t)## is a given function and ##a## and ##b## are constants. It is mentioned that the function ##f(t)## is differentiable and obtained from a physics experiment, and that basic integration techniques may not be applicable. It is suggested to use the fundamental theorem of calculus for the first integral, but it is unclear how to proceed with the second integral without more information about ##f(t)##. It is also mentioned that there are methods for computing certain types of integrals, but it is uncertain if they would apply to this particular integral.
BillKet
Hello! I have a function ##f(t)## such that ##\int_a^b{f(t)dt}=f_0##. Is there a way to calculate (or bring it to a simpler form) ##\int_a^b{f(a)e^{t}}dt##? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
May i ask : does the exercise say that ##f(t)## is differentiable? the second integral contains##f(a)##?or perhaps it is ##f(t)##? what is your effort so far?

BillKet said:
Hello! I have a function ##f(t)## such that ##\int_a^b{f(t)dt}=f_0##. Is there a way to calculate (or bring it to a simpler form) ##\int_a^b{f(a)e^{t}}dt##? Thank you!
As written, ##\int_a^b{f(a)e^{t}}dt = f(a)[e^b - e^a]##.

etotheipi said:
As written, ##\int_a^b{f(a)e^{t}}dt = f(a)[e^b - e^a]##.
Ah sorry, the questions should be about ##\int_a^b{f(t)e^{t}}dt##

trees and plants said:
May i ask : does the exercise say that ##f(t)## is differentiable? the second integral contains##f(a)##?or perhaps it is ##f(t)##? what is your effort so far?
It should be ##f(t)##. It is not an exercise, it is something obtained from a physics experiment, but I would say that yes, the function is differentiable. I can't say that I had many ideas, I was hoping there is probably some formula I don't know about that can be applied, as there is not much to do here with basic integration techniques.

BillKet said:
Ah sorry, the questions should be about ##\int_a^b{f(t)e^{t}}dt##
I don't think the integral can be evaluated without knowing more about f(t).

You could use the fundamental theorem of calculus for the first integral to get values for ##a## and ##b## for the antiderivative, let us say it ##F##, so you have ##F(b)-F(a)=f_0##.

We are talking here about definite integrals so for the second integral, someone i think would need to express it in terms of ##F(a),F(b)##, using integration by parts i think does not lead to computing it.

I want to say that there are ways to compute some integrals involving exponentials, polynomials, n-th roots, square roots and others, but here ##f(t)## is given without saying whether it has other properties or is of a form as for example the ones i said in this post.

Related to Is there a way to simplify this integral involving an exponential function?

1. What is an integral involving an exponential function?

An integral involving an exponential function is a mathematical expression that involves the integration of a function with an exponential term, such as e^x, in its equation.

2. Why is it important to simplify integrals involving exponential functions?

Simplifying integrals involving exponential functions can make them easier to solve and understand, and can also help in finding solutions to real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. Is there a general method for simplifying integrals involving exponential functions?

Yes, there are various techniques for simplifying integrals involving exponential functions, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fraction decomposition. The method used depends on the specific integral and its properties.

4. Can I use a calculator to simplify integrals involving exponential functions?

While some calculators may have functions for solving integrals, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind simplifying integrals involving exponential functions, rather than solely relying on a calculator.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying integrals involving exponential functions?

Some tips for simplifying integrals involving exponential functions include using properties of exponents, recognizing patterns and common integrals, and practicing regularly to improve problem-solving skills.