Is there a way to practice Latex code without posting on forums?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter MacLaddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code Latex
In summary, the conversation is discussing the struggles with using LaTeX code to solve math problems and the desire for a place to practice and save drafts without having to post on forums. Suggestions for resources such as texify.com, downloading a LaTeX distribution, using LaTeX on blogs, and LyX are provided.
MacLaddy
Gold Member
I have noticed recently that I will struggle with a math problem for hours, sometimes days, and then within five minutes of posting I will realize my error and resolve it myself. I think it has something to do with the crafting of the Latex code, previewing, repairing, previewing again, changing code, etc. It seems to give me a different look at the problem.

So, with that being said, I was wondering if there is a place that I can practice Latex code in the forums without actually posting? I think it would be great if I could type it all out as a rough draft- stare at it for a bit, make needed changes, then copy and paste to the appropriate forum if I still haven't figured it out.

A place in my profile where I could save it for later would be best, but anything would work.

Thanks everyone, let me know what you think or if this is possible.

Mac

(I'll probably realize that I've had this ability all along, and in an obvious place, as soon as I hit the "Submit" button.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Not on PF: You could use texify.com, but I'd recommend just downloading a LaTeX distribution (MikTeX for Windows, TeXLive for everything else), and use that.

You can also use LaTeX on the site blogs. https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php

Last edited by a moderator:
That MikTeX looks interesting. How does that integrate into my computer? Will it show up in word, pdf, etc?

EDIT- On second thought, and after watching a video on MikTeX, I think I may be a bit out of my league with that. Not that I couldn't figure it out after some time, but I am hoping for something a bit simpler, if possible.

Last edited:
LyX is a GUI for LaTeX that's sort of between a WYSIWYG editor and a WYSIWYM tool like LaTeX that may work for you.
www.lyx.org

https://www.physicsforums.com/mathjax/test/preview.html

Note: it doesn't work as described, instead of pressing Enter/Return you may have to click outside of the edit field.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is there a way to practice Latex code without posting on forums?

1. What are the benefits of saving Latex code?

Saving Latex code allows for easy editing and modification of a document. It also ensures that the document can be reproduced exactly as it was originally written, without any formatting errors.

2. How do I preview my Latex code before compiling it?

There are several programs and online tools available for previewing Latex code, such as Overleaf, Texmaker, and ShareLaTeX. These tools allow you to see a real-time preview of your document as you write and edit the code.

3. Can I save Latex code as a PDF?

Yes, Latex code can be compiled into a PDF document. This is often the preferred format for sharing and printing documents, as it preserves the formatting and layout of the document.

4. Is it possible to save and preview Latex code on a mobile device?

Yes, there are mobile apps available for both iOS and Android that allow you to save and preview Latex code on your device. Some popular options include TeX Writer, TexPad, and VerbTeX.

5. Are there any tips for organizing and saving Latex code?

It is recommended to save your Latex code in separate files for each section or chapter of your document. This makes it easier to navigate and make changes to specific parts of the document. Additionally, using descriptive filenames and creating a consistent folder structure can help with organization and version control.