Is there a way to determine if a booster pack (battery) is still good?

• Thread starter erotavlas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's old booster pack with a possible 12V battery inside. They recently tried to jump start a car with it but it didn't work, so they suspect it may be time to replace the battery or the pack itself. The speaker used a multimeter to check the voltage, which read close to 12V with no load and 11.3V with load. They are unsure what these readings mean and if there are other tests they can do. Other participants in the conversation suggest taking the pack to a battery testing station or a mechanic who has the proper equipment to perform load tests. The conversation also discusses the possibility of a shorted cell or a charging problem causing the low voltage reading.
erotavlas
I have a booster pack that I think has a 12V battery inside. One of the typical ones you get at a hardware store with air compressor, booster cables, light etc. Anyway it is at least 7 years old. I recently tried jump starting someone's car with it but it wouldn't, I think I was able to in the past though.

Since it couldn't jump start the vehicle I though maybe its time to replace it or the battery inside. Is there a way to check how 'healthy' the battery is?
I have a multimeter and checked the voltage with no load. I read close to 12V. then I read the voltage with load (air compressor turned on) and it read about 11.3V.
I'm not sure what this means or if there are other readings I can take (like current).

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

The packs usually have a test circuit you can also take it to a battery testing station.
The volt drop under load just indicates that it has an internal resistance and is normal.

Any competent mechanic will have testing equipment that can perform load tests on your battery. If your booster's battery seems normal under load tests, it is probably OK.

I tested with a multimeter after fully charging over night. THe voltage reads 11.84 volts with no load.
I was told that a good battery would read over 12V. Is this true. WHat does my low value indicate?

erotavlas said:
I tested with a multimeter after fully charging over night. THe voltage reads 11.84 volts with no load.
I was told that a good battery would read over 12V. Is this true. WHat does my low value indicate?

yes it should have been reading over 12V so the most likely reasons are either...
1) ... your charger isn't working properly
2) ... your battery is failing. is its reading only 11.8V with no load, then its likely to be much lower under load.

Dave

12 volt lead-acid batteries are really 6 lead-acid cells connected in series. Fully charged each cell has a voltage of 2.1 volts, so a whole battery should be 12.6. If it has less then then this voltage then there are 2 possibilities. Either there is a problem with the charger or one of the cells is shorted. A shorted cell will reduce the voltage by 2.1 volts to a total of 10.5 volts.

It is possible to overcharge cells so that they will produce more then 2.1 volts. This excess charge will dissipate within the battery even with no load present. Let your battery set for a couple of days. If the voltage settles down to 10.5 volts then you probably have a shorted cell. If it goes lower then the battery is self discharging. Either of these would be cause for battery replacement. If it stays at 11.8 suspect a charging problem. You could verify this by checking the booster packs voltage while it is charging. It may start out near battery voltage but should rise to 13-14 volts as the battery charges.

Do not attempt any internal diagnostics of the battery pack while it is plugged in unless you know exactly what you are doing and what precautions are necessary. From your original question I suspect that you do not.

The best test is to see if it does its job = that is, you charge it for long enough and see if it will start the car. If it fails that test then I don't think that you (from what you say) could actually mend it; certainly, never even consider poking inside the battery! If the battery has been discharged to below half its capacity and, especially, been left in a discharged state, then it is probably dead. If you can get inside to see what the volts are across the battery itself then that could at least give you an idea if the internal charger is working.
The way things are these days, it is very likely that a whole replacement booster unit will cost less (if you shop around) than a replacement battery to go inside your old one. Such is life.

A seven year old lead acid [wet cell, typical auto type] battery is almost surely very weak. The only real way to test them is to measure their output under load and compare with the stated capacity...As noted, any mechanic likely has a test set.

Such a 'booster' battery gizmo is often too small to start an automobile, at least 8 cylinder varieties. [four cylinder automobile engines have smaller batteries than 8.] If a car battery costs,say $70, and a booster, say, $35, you can be sure its a considerably smaller battery.
A freshly charged wet cell lead acid battery should read about 12.8 volts are room temperature...12 volts, if I recall, under no load, means it's only half charged. At about 11.5 volts or so it can barely run anything.

If you have something like a spot light, try powering it from the booster...then compare with a regular functioning car battery hooked up separately...likely the booster battery will show a dimmer light...try maybe a one or two minute test. Try an online search for some voltages...This is the first I found and although I disagree with the values, you get the idea...They are talking the ability to provide power here...
There is a very big difference when a car battery drops even a small amount of voltage. When a car drops, for instance, from 12.6 to 12.0, there will be 75% difference. Its power drops from 100% to 25%. At 12.4 volts, a car battery is 75% charged while at 12.2 volts its 50% charged.

Consider your car battery charged at 12.4 volts or higher and discharged at 12.39 volts or less.

edit: voltages among lead acid batteries can also vary...other chemicals may be added to reduce gassing and so some manufacturers have higher charge voltages than others.

Last edited:

Related to Is there a way to determine if a booster pack (battery) is still good?

1. How can I tell if a booster pack (battery) is still good?

The most accurate way to determine if a booster pack is still good is by testing its voltage with a multimeter. A fully charged booster pack should have a voltage reading of around 12.6 volts. If the reading is significantly lower, it may indicate that the battery is no longer good.

2. Can a booster pack still be good even if it has been sitting for a long time?

Yes, a booster pack can still be good even if it has been sitting for a long time. However, it is important to regularly check the voltage and charge the booster pack if needed to maintain its health. Storing it in a cool and dry place can also help prolong its lifespan.

3. How long does a booster pack typically last?

The lifespan of a booster pack can vary depending on its usage and maintenance. On average, a booster pack can last for 3-5 years. However, factors such as extreme temperatures, overcharging, and deep discharging can significantly decrease its lifespan.

4. Can a booster pack be recharged if it is no longer good?

No, a booster pack cannot be recharged if it is no longer good. Attempting to recharge a damaged or faulty booster pack can be dangerous and can also damage the charger. It is best to dispose of the booster pack safely and purchase a new one.

5. Are there any warning signs that a booster pack is no longer good?

Yes, there are a few warning signs that may indicate a booster pack is no longer good. These include a swollen or bloated appearance, leakage, and a foul smell. If you notice any of these signs, it is best to stop using the booster pack and dispose of it properly.