Is there a typo in the formula for dividing complex numbers?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a possible typo in a book discussing complex numbers. The typo in question is found in the paragraph about dividing complex numbers and it is suggested that it should be corrected to a different equation. The conversation also touches upon the use of Euler's notation and the different editions of the book being used.
Drakkith
Mentor
Quick question. While going over complex numbers in my book, I think I came across a typo and I wanted to be sure I had the right information. In the paragraph going over dividing complex numbers, my book has:
##|\frac{z_1}{z_2}|=|\frac{z_1}{z_2}|##

That's obviously true. Should that be ##|\frac{z_1}{z_2}|=\frac{|z_1|}{|z_2|}## instead?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You're reading the Schaum's Outline on Complex Numbers! I saw that too!

Yes that is a typo!

Its easy to prove using Euler's notation for complex numbers: ##z = r e^{i \theta}##

Likes Drakkith
jedishrfu said:
You're reading the Schaum's Outline on Complex Numbers! I saw that too!

Actually I'm reading Kreyszig, Advanced Engineering Mathematics, 10th Edition.

jedishrfu said:
Yes that is a typo!

Its easy to prove using Euler's notation for complex numbers: ##z = r e^{i \theta}##

Thanks, Jedi!

Drakkith said:
Actually I'm reading Kreyszig, Advanced Engineering Mathematics, 10th Edition.
I have the 3rd edition of this book, which doesn't have this typo.
You might find it interesting that I paid $14.95 for the book, but that was in 1972...

Likes jedishrfu
Mark44 said:
I have the 3rd edition of this book, which doesn't have this typo.
You might find it interesting that I paid $14.95 for the book, but that was in 1972...

I'm using an online version that came packaged with a code for the program we use for receiving and submitting our homework. Apparently the physical textbook that also came with the package either isn't the same textbook, or it's an edited/shortened version, as it doesn't even have the chapter on complex numbers in it. The physical book has chapters 1-8 that appear to follow the online version, but complex numbers are in chapter 13 in the online book, which is where the error is at. Had I known that I was getting shafted I would have purchased the code and the full book separately from each other.

Related to Is there a typo in the formula for dividing complex numbers?

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do you divide complex numbers?

To divide complex numbers, you must first rationalize the denominator. This is done by multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. Then, you can simplify the expression by using the rules of exponents.

3. What is the complex conjugate of a complex number?

The complex conjugate of a complex number a + bi is a - bi, where a and b are real numbers. It is obtained by changing the sign between the real and imaginary parts.

4. Can you divide a complex number by 0?

No, you cannot divide any number, including complex numbers, by 0. This is because division by 0 is undefined and leads to a mathematical error.

5. Are there any special rules for dividing complex numbers?

Yes, there are two special rules for dividing complex numbers. The first rule is to remember to rationalize the denominator. The second rule is that when dividing by a complex number, you must multiply both the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator.